What's new

Longtime listener, first time caller

Welcome aboard. You have a nice lot going already. And you simply cannot really go wrong with vintage Gillette. I thought I was a modern razor only guy, but just had to try a Gillette Tech just to know. Well, that quickly mushroomed!

And Merkur is great too. You might want to check out Fatip as well. All brass for very affordable prices.

Guido

Hi!
Just stopping by with a hello - I'm joining B&B with a sample pack of T&H and DRH creams, a EJ DE89 with Astra and Derby blades and a Merkur Vision (which I've used twice and a scene from 'Carrie' happened both times, so if someone wants to buy that..), and Kent Silver Synthetic (I retired my Kent Best Badger).

Here's some thoughts from my highly un-educated viewpoint:

DRH:
Arlington - smells like fake citrus.
Marlborough - I think the sample expired - it smelled like dust.
Twenty-Nine - Dusty Cinnamon?
Rose - floral, kinda socks ya in the nose with the scent, but pleasantly.
Windsor - Smells like ye olde gentleman's club.
Lavender - Dusty, a bit like lavender epsom salts. Very pronounced scent.
Almond - sweet scent, almost like cake frosting
Sandalwood - woody, yet a little dusty, not very pronounced.

T&H
Apsley - peppery, modern
Trafalgar - soapy (a bit like hospital soap?)
Limes - citrus, with plaid trousers.
Sandalwood - Masculine, woody, much more pronounced than DRH (i.e. stronger, headier scent)
1805 - No scent (maybe expired?)
Grafton - Vintage Manly "dad smell".

As for the lathering... I didn't have any problems creating lather, but some of the DRH would "dry out" after ~1 minute on the face, and I was shaving in a "snowstorm" of floating/flying dried shaving foam.. (So does that mean I did it wrong?)

Blades:
Astra - Nice and sharp, they do a swift, close job in the EJ razor.
Derby - Very good in the EJ, and I used two of them in the Vision, but perhaps a little more forgiving than the astra...

Edwin Jagger DE 89, faux ivory
Nifty little razor, feels weighty enough in hand, easy to take apart and clean.
As a side note - I'm sure with most things (like microwaves and fridges) there are only two or three companies that actually make DE razors? (the DE89 sure does look a lot like one from DRH, and T&H, DRH, etc., and all seem to have the same handle styles available..) Is there a "who makes what" brand post?

Merkur Vision
This is what started it all. A gift from a friend eons ago. I've tried adjusting the settings but my skin is just so <adjective> that I get a lot of nicks with this puppy. If I dial it all the way down, I need to shave about 3 times before I'm at the level of a triple blade, which is about 2 o'clock shadow..

Kent Brushes
Best Badger - a lovely brush - the bristles picked up the color of Trumper's Rose cream and hasn't ever really released the dye color.
BK4S Silvertex Synthetic - takes a moment or two longer to 'warm up', and holds water - needs an extra couple of shakes to dry it out.

So - I'd like to add to my kit - what's a razor I should look at that is forgiving, yet classy? (I was thinking of getting the ol' Merkur 34C, just to say I have one (lol)), but if there's some other nifty eye candy out there, let me know!

Now I'm off to scour the boards!
Doc
Welcome aboard, or should I say to the the rabbit hole. Yes, there are a “few” companies that make DE razors, lol. Due to the total lack of DE razors in stores near me, I had no idea how many choices were available until going online and finding this forum. Nothing wrong with the EJ89 if it shaves you well. it’s a perfectly good razor. YMMV in all things shaving- some people love and are happy with mild razors, have sensitive skin, etc and some need a razor just shy of a scalpel. I could get bbs (baby butt smooth) with a credit card on my cheeks but need something fairly aggressive for fewer passes on my chin and neck, which is tough older guy whiskers. I’m only 6 months into wet shaving but have caught RAD, but based on my experience I would echo and say my best advice is to find a good working order Gillette slim (25-$40) and read forums about shaving with an adjustable. It may be all you ever want or need, but it’s also a great inexpensive way to try shaving from the mildest settings to fairly aggressive without buying multiple razors. If you are looking for a more aggressive shave out of your current razor, you can step it up a bit with sharper blades. Any of the Gillette Superspeeds are also a good bet. i love the Red Tip Gillette. If you already know you want something a little more aggressive than the 89, but still not too aggressive, read up on the Razorock 84 GameChanger SB. Thanks for your review on the soaps!

What’s up Doc? Welcome to B&B.

I love your scent descriptions, what a fun first post.

I’ll echo the hold on to the Vision. It’s a more aggressive razor and as your technique improves you might actually end up loving it.

I started with the same razor and got good shaves for years with it. Definitely not my favorite but it works.

If you’d like another razor I’ll recommend a Gillette Tech (any model). They are mild but effective when you get the angle correct. The Tech will help improve your technique because for it to be as efficient as possible you really need to dial in the angle and adjust the angle to different parts of your face and neck.

The good news is that Gillette Techs are plentiful and well priced.

Hi!
Just stopping by with a hello - I'm joining B&B with a sample pack of T&H and DRH creams, a EJ DE89 with Astra and Derby blades and a Merkur Vision (which I've used twice and a scene from 'Carrie' happened both times, so if someone wants to buy that..),

Don't give up on that razor so quickly. In my experience, skill with the blade matters a lot more than the razor itself. The most important thing is taking your time, and keep the light pressure on your face. Remember, this is nowhere near like shaving with a cartridge razor.

That being said, if you're desperate to sell that Merkur Vision, I'm sure I'll find a lot off takers here.

-Z

Top Bottom