What's new

Longtime listener, first time caller

Hi!
Just stopping by with a hello - I'm joining B&B with a sample pack of T&H and DRH creams, a EJ DE89 with Astra and Derby blades and a Merkur Vision (which I've used twice and a scene from 'Carrie' happened both times, so if someone wants to buy that..), and Kent Silver Synthetic (I retired my Kent Best Badger).

Here's some thoughts from my highly un-educated viewpoint:

DRH:
Arlington - smells like fake citrus.
Marlborough - I think the sample expired - it smelled like dust.
Twenty-Nine - Dusty Cinnamon?
Rose - floral, kinda socks ya in the nose with the scent, but pleasantly.
Windsor - Smells like ye olde gentleman's club.
Lavender - Dusty, a bit like lavender epsom salts. Very pronounced scent.
Almond - sweet scent, almost like cake frosting
Sandalwood - woody, yet a little dusty, not very pronounced.

T&H
Apsley - peppery, modern
Trafalgar - soapy (a bit like hospital soap?)
Limes - citrus, with plaid trousers.
Sandalwood - Masculine, woody, much more pronounced than DRH (i.e. stronger, headier scent)
1805 - No scent (maybe expired?)
Grafton - Vintage Manly "dad smell".

As for the lathering... I didn't have any problems creating lather, but some of the DRH would "dry out" after ~1 minute on the face, and I was shaving in a "snowstorm" of floating/flying dried shaving foam.. (So does that mean I did it wrong?)

Blades:
Astra - Nice and sharp, they do a swift, close job in the EJ razor.
Derby - Very good in the EJ, and I used two of them in the Vision, but perhaps a little more forgiving than the astra...

Edwin Jagger DE 89, faux ivory
Nifty little razor, feels weighty enough in hand, easy to take apart and clean.
As a side note - I'm sure with most things (like microwaves and fridges) there are only two or three companies that actually make DE razors? (the DE89 sure does look a lot like one from DRH, and T&H, DRH, etc., and all seem to have the same handle styles available..) Is there a "who makes what" brand post?

Merkur Vision
This is what started it all. A gift from a friend eons ago. I've tried adjusting the settings but my skin is just so <adjective> that I get a lot of nicks with this puppy. If I dial it all the way down, I need to shave about 3 times before I'm at the level of a triple blade, which is about 2 o'clock shadow..

Kent Brushes
Best Badger - a lovely brush - the bristles picked up the color of Trumper's Rose cream and hasn't ever really released the dye color.
BK4S Silvertex Synthetic - takes a moment or two longer to 'warm up', and holds water - needs an extra couple of shakes to dry it out.

So - I'd like to add to my kit - what's a razor I should look at that is forgiving, yet classy? (I was thinking of getting the ol' Merkur 34C, just to say I have one (lol)), but if there's some other nifty eye candy out there, let me know!

Now I'm off to scour the boards!
Doc

Welcome! I'll echo the earlier recommendation for a vintage Gillette. Start with a Tech, Super Speed, or NEW, then move on to a myriad of other outstanding Gillette razors. This is a fun place. Post your questions & enjoy the banter!

Welcome @DrWHOinAZ! B&B is one of the finest places on the interwebs, filled with great people, as you’ll soon learn!

Vintage Gillette would be a great next step for you if you’re looking for vintage, lots of great razors out there! I’ll throw out a Gillette slim adjustable as another consideration to the other great options mentioned already! If you’re looking more modern there are a ton of great options out there too! The RazoRock Game Changer series from Italian Barber is an awesome entry to modern stainless steel razors.

Welcome again Doc! There is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone is very eager to help in any way that they can!

Welcome to B&B
but some of the DRH would "dry out" after ~1 minute on the face, and I was shaving in a "snowstorm" of floating/flying dried shaving foam..
Not enough water I would suggest.
So - I'd like to add to my kit - what's a razor I should look at that is forgiving, yet classy? (I was thinking of getting the ol' Merkur 34C, just to say I have one (lol))
The Merkur 34C is a great razor and slightly more aggressive than the Edwin Jagger DE89. I would suggest you look at the Merkur Progress which is adjustable, so many razors in one.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Great introductory first post. Thanks for sharing your journey thus far with us.

Welcome Doc! Hold on to your VISION for now. Your technique isn't where it needs to be yet with your lather-definitely needs more water. After you get your technique down, then return to the VISION. If at that point, it isn't working for you, put it up on the BST and someone will gladly remove it from your den. And before I forget- RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! (wait until you find out what that means on this site!)

marty

I started with the Merkur 34C which is a great razor. The 34C is excellent at handling almost any blade. I believe you'll be happy with the 34C. It's well made, gives a great shave and will handle about any blade you throw at it giving you a great shave without the blood.

Best of luck and Cheers to your next great shave!

Welcome!

The Merkur Vision is an interesting razor...

The 34C is not a bad razor. To me it shaves very similarly to the DE89, FWIW.

The vintage Gillettes are good recommendations too. Another cool vintage to consider at a not-too-expensive price is the Schick Krona.

Top Bottom