What's new

First Time SE Shave Advice Needed

I've been shaving a few weeks now with a DE and picked up a Gem 1912. I bought some blades from CVS and want to try it out tonight after my shower. Any suggestions and/or advice on my first shave with it?

Good prep! No pressure, put the blade flat to your face to start and gradually increase the angle until it starts to cut. Short strokes. A bit of skin stretch is good too.

On the 1912, I hold the handle pinched between thumb and forefinger, right up in the little necked area at the top of the handle. Let it float in your hand and use your ring and pinkie fingers to position it for angle (pull it in a bit, but don't actually grip with them). The angle will follow your face better by doing this, and it helps with keeping the pressure down.

The 1912 is a superb razor for buffing (sliding back and forth without lifting) as it re-spreads the lather very well.

Tried out the razor, and was a little nervous at first. The shave went fine but wasn't as close as my DE has been. The buffing was indeed pretty good with this razor. I will give it a few more tries before I make a judgement on it. I also used the silver scuttle and was amazed at how warm the lather was, I loved it. I did realize though that I'll need a smaller brush like the Wee Scot to make it a little easier.

Overall the wet shaving experience has been great.

I picked up an Ever-Ready 1914 a while back, my first SE also, and it's a very intuitive razor IMO. I reckon the 1912 should do as well. No special skills beyond those typical of a DE razor needed really; just keep the angle and pressure to minimum. Lemon squeezy. :lemo:

Top Bottom