What's new

First Straight Shave Thoughts

Probably a bit of angle, pressure, lather..

If i am going all out on my neck its (for me) down, then up, then 45 down from chin to neck, kind of guillotiney.

So I haven't updated this in a few days, since I got my Muhle R41. It's pretty righteous by the way.

So I'm going to use a new-to-me razor tonight (J.A. Henckels). I'll have to let y'all know how it goes.

I bet my issue was a function of lather and pressure last time. I'm hoping to keep from recreating that irritation issue.

Jason,

I am still trying to figure out how to attack crazy direction neck hairs myself, but I can tell you what I did.

I have given up trying to do WTG on my neck, because my hair grows in too many directions. Instead I just go North to South First Pass, North to South (Diagonal as much as I can) second pass, and a South to North for the third pass.
This is what I do as well

Ok gentlemen, I'm learning! I got my Henckels yesterday and love it. I have come to the realization that everyone's experience is different.

I am a rigid rules/guidelines follower, so when I hear "use left hand on left side and right hand on right side" that's EXACTLY what I do. I was having a hard time trying to use perfect grips, perfect forms, using the correct hand, and so on. Yesterday with my new-to-me razor, I decided to "go against the grain" (pun intended) and try it MY WAY.

For instance, if I could get a better angle, or a closer blade angle using one hand over the other, I did it. I found that I still used both hands equally, but by doing the logical thing, I found my first blood free, no irritation, DFS.

It was awesome. This morning I tried another razor I had in the stash and applied the same rules...blade had dulled previously due to my poor stropping, so I went back to the Henckels.

I'M GETTING THE HANG OF IT:)!!!!!:a14:

Ok, I used a Schulze I bought off the BST yesterday. After sterilizing, I realized that I have dulled every blade I've owned. My stropping technique was off at the beginning and hosed up my blades early. After using this super sharp edge with good form and function, I was thrilled.

Only did WTG/XTG, and had an awesome DFS. It wasn't BBS, but it was irritation free, looked great, and made me feel like a &^*& man.

Now to master the honing...

It's a doubke edged sword to make that realization. On one hand its great to know what a good edge and sucks to know where the rest of your kit is.

Top Bottom