What's new

First Straight Shave Thoughts

Scott, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with hones, but I looked at your Ardennes coticules, and was intrigued. How would you use these compared to traditional hones, and what is a slurry stone?

Jason-Your lapping film looks like a decent inexpensive alternative to hones. Have you had better luck with brand X over brand Y?

Also, how do you know when you're ready for honing/lapping/"coticuling" over just standard stropping?

Check out the first 8 or so pages of this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/283576-Lapping-film-try-it

Slash McCoy and a couple other guys are really helpful regarding the use of lapping film.

In regards to to lapping film vs coticules both chicken McNuckets and stuffed chicken Marsala fill your stomach. If your budget is very limited there is noting wrong with lapping film but the edges are not as pleasant.

I've never used a coticule so I have no basis for comparison. Lapping film is purely convenience for me at the moment. Very small learning curve and very budget friendly. I also have no complaints about the edges so far.

I've never used a coticule so I have no basis for comparison. Lapping film is purely convenience for me at the moment. Very small learning curve and very budget friendly. I also have no complaints about the edges so far.

I would offer to hone a razor for you but the shipping makes it a deal breaker. Of course if money is no object you are welcome to send me a blade.

I would offer to hone a razor for you but the shipping makes it a deal breaker. Of course if money is no object you are welcome to send me a blade.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the generous offer. My first two straights were a Whipped Dog from Larry and a Golden Monkey from Buca. I'm sure they were both honed on stones but as a new straight shaver, I wouldn't have know how fabulous an edge I had. I beat them up pretty good the first few weeks and brought them back with film and CrOx. I use diamond pasted balsas for touch ups. I have three straights now and they're all shaving nicely.

I plan on giving some stones a try when my life slows down a bit.

There may be someone in area with various hones if you do a bit of looking. They show up semifrequently in antique stores and flea markets. You find one for a pittance.

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice. I've looked into both options, and while I do have a wife imposed budget, there seem to be options.

Regarding my journey of shaving, in and of itself, I have indeed come to realize that while some shaves are glory from above, others are not. I was pumped about shaving last night, as I had an early business meeting so I decided I was going to do three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) and it was going to be relaxing and end up BBS.

Nope. Cuts all over, and my aftershave/balm became Styptic pencil. Well, not literally, but my entire jaw line was full of nicks and weepers. It's been 24 hours and my face still hurts a bit. I think I had a great shave a couple days ago, and got a little over zealous.

I will say, however, that good stropping form, technique, and repetitions have greatly increased my blade comfort during the shave, and made it seem sharper. That's a positive.

Aside from growing pains, I think I'm making progress!

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice. I've looked into both options, and while I do have a wife imposed budget, there seem to be options.

Regarding my journey of shaving, in and of itself, I have indeed come to realize that while some shaves are glory from above, others are not. I was pumped about shaving last night, as I had an early business meeting so I decided I was going to do three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) and it was going to be relaxing and end up BBS.

Nope. Cuts all over, and my aftershave/balm became Styptic pencil. Well, not literally, but my entire jaw line was full of nicks and weepers. It's been 24 hours and my face still hurts a bit. I think I had a great shave a couple days ago, and got a little over zealous.

I will say, however, that good stropping form, technique, and repetitions have greatly increased my blade comfort during the shave, and made it seem sharper. That's a positive.

Aside from growing pains, I think I'm making progress!

Take heart, it will get better with practice. Lighten up on the pressure...a lot. And stretch the skin, puff out the cheeks and pull the mouth to the side when needed. Always work on keeping the skin flat and stretched for the blade. Oh and did I say lighten up on the pressure? A lot? :biggrin1:

Got my Gold Dollar and other gear from buca tonight, as well as the new Jermyn Street I traded for. Tomorrow morning I'm going to take my time and do it all right.

Have a great night, gents, and I'll update tomorrow.

Sometimes when an edge is deteriorationg, people compensate with pressure and angle.. i know i did until i realized what was going on..

That's a great point from Jon.

I did the same thing, and that's when I would end up with some pretty significant irritation - especially on the neck.

That's a great point from Jon.

I did the same thing, and that's when I would end up with some pretty significant irritation - especially on the neck.

I'm right here. Right absolutely here. I can get a decent two pass shave everywhere: neck-sides, cheeks, mustache, chin-EXCEPT FOR directly below my chin on my neck. It barely reduces WTG, then doesn't seem to reduce with any pass other than ATG.

I find that I push harder and harder (with the incorrect angle), and it doesn't cut the hair (or my skin) in that spot, but it rubs the heck out of it and leaves my lower chin/neck (down to about an inch over my adam's apple) red and raw.

Thoughts?

You can try short buffing strokes. That's what I do in spots. Short strokes like an inch at a time. I also use a guillotine stroke, a slight angle to the stroke that cuts more efficiently IMO. Be careful the first few times you use it.

buca, I will certainly look into the guillotine stroke. I watched a video online, and I think I would bleed out if I tried right now. I will work up the courage. If I do bleed out, though, it'll be on your blade!

I was short on time this morning, and as such only did one pass with a DE before church. I left a bit of stubble so hopefully I can treat myself to a nice straight shave tonight.

As I'm learning, I'm also starting to look for a nice, new razor so I can PIF with my current gear. Maybe its way too early to pursue such foolishness, but SRAD is a real thing, right?

My advice would be theres plenty of time for that in the future. Multiple shave ready straights when you need a shave is a good thing.

I thought I would provide an update!

My last check in brought me through Sunday morning, and I had shaved with a DE. Fast forward to Sunday evening. I took my time, stretched the skin, and had a fantastic shave. Three passes, WTG, XTG, ATG. I stropped 20-25 times between passes 2 and 3 so as to ensure I wasn't snagging or, well, I just wanted to.

It wasn't the BEST shave I've ever had, and it wasn't 100% BBS, but it was satisfying. I had a few nicks, but nothing that surprised me. I knew I had done something dumb.

I'm still struggling with being able to see with both hands in front of my face and trying to find the right angle of attack. One question I do have:

My hair pattern is as follows: 45 degree down and to the ear from chin on my jawline, mid neck is horizontal chin to ear, and my lower neck is 45 degrees up and out, chin to ear. How do I shave WTG on the bottom part of my neck hair? I can provide pictures if necessary, but I can't seem to get the blade straight to my neck from the bottom. Is this where the "guillotine stroke" come in handy?

Jason,

I am still trying to figure out how to attack crazy direction neck hairs myself, but I can tell you what I did.

I have given up trying to do WTG on my neck, because my hair grows in too many directions. Instead I just go North to South First Pass, North to South (Diagonal as much as I can) second pass, and a South to North for the third pass.

AndroiDad75, I found a way, but it is unorthodox and I am FAR more likely to cut myself so it isn't worth it. I will try your route, or maybe just skip to XTG. I have found that I can get a stellar XTG given the direction. Thank you for your candidness.

While I'm at it, gentlemen I shaved last night and really enjoyed it. I did, however, have one whale of a case of razor burn afterwards. I couldn't tell it was going to happen while shaving, but after it was afterburny.

Any tips? I don't believe it was the sharpness of the blade (although I've been wrong before). Maybe my angle of attack? Possibly a poor lather, too. I feel like I struggled with my lather last night.

I have found that most of my razor burn is caused by either: 1) poor lather or 2) too steep an angle.

More often than not, in the beginning, it was #2 that got me. Later on, when I got better at angle, it's usually #1 that gets me.

Top Bottom