What's new

First slant, German 37...

Thought I'd share my first DE slant experience thus far...

A couple weeks ago I bought a Razorock German 37 Slant to dip my toes in that end of the water. So far I am really enjoying this incredibly inexpensive razor. I bought mine during a flash sale, ordering it with a Super Knurl handle that I intended to swap onto my Lupo 95OC, putting a titanium Halo on the lighter G37.

I have found this razor to be highly forgiving for my skin - I have even used it twice in the same day, prior to going to an evening outdoor concert (in considerable heat to boot). I do not get as "long" of a shave as my Lupo 95, but in many ways I almost prefer it. 24hr increments sometimes are a bit more challenging with the Lupo, whereas the G37 makes it really easy. I have found the G37 actually wants a bit of pressure; the Lupo punishes it.

This mornings shave was fully Razorock: What-The-Puck Blue soap lathered by a Bruce brush, with a x4 7'oClock SS green in the German 37, this time with the Super Knurl. Result was a delightful shave that is full BBS. Absolutely zero sting with alcohol-based aftershave, followed by a warm shower. Stepping out of the shower, my face felt refreshingly cool. Really splendid shave.

My Lupo's are giving me worried looks - don't worry little wolfies, I'll be back (eventually).

(pic's from my initial shave a couple weeks ago)
IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

Thanks for sharing ! The German 37 was my first slant as well a few months ago. I found that I got better results (i.e. smoother to the skin) from sharp blades like the Perma-Sharp Super.

I then contracted RAD and upgraded to a RR SuperSlant L3, which is fantastic and that I do find even better than its older brother, although the value proposition of the 37 remains unbeaten.

Thanks for sharing ! The German 37 was my first slant as well a few months ago. I found that I got better results (i.e. smoother to the skin) from sharp blades like the Perma-Sharp Super.

I then contracted RAD and upgraded to a RR SuperSlant L3, which is fantastic and that I do find even better than its older brother, although the value proposition of the 37 remains unbeaten.
How would you rate the comparative efficiency of the SS L3 vs the G37?

I find it easier to get the right angle with the SS, possibly due to its large but rounded head that glides nicely when riding the cap. The blade torsion is also on a different level, which may contribute to a more efficient shave. I get very close shaves in 2 passes.

That said, I am still fairly new to DE shaving (six months) so my technique has surely improved somewhat since my G37 days. We have quite a devoted Razorock following here with much more experienced members who have tested both razors in more comparable conditions.

I found the German 37 will let you make good use of blades that are only average in other razors. Something about the geometry makes them work better...so if you have some blades sitting at the back of the drawer somewhere, you might be pleasantly surprised. I like to use the shorter, lighter handles on it, it feels like a good match.

Top Bottom