What's new

First shave with a Hoffritz SB Slant

CCC7D57C-E794-4835-8562-C2568F74B8CF.jpeg
29D1CE29-B2CA-4FD4-8A98-762EFA5FE4B9.jpeg
5A07B4F7-6990-4F5C-A9B0-8017305EEC65.jpeg
CFDDEF02-8E4D-40E6-B3A6-7D9B9F24695F.jpeg
6C60AC3D-3E08-4E4D-9E5F-9A2C1D876674.jpeg
So I woke this morning kind of excited to try out a new member of the den that came in the mail yesterday. A very nice conditon Hoffritz SB slant. It's been years since I shaved with a slant. Had a 1st generation Ikon way back when they came out but I think I didn't give it a chance and traded it to a friend who likes slants. Anyway I'm not to sure this razor was used a lot as you can see in the photos the head is near perfect. There is a little dullness on the knurling but from what I read it's got sterling silver on the handle. Also got this sweet Hoffritz toddle but only took a photo of it but used the other items in the photo for the actual shave. I really like the look of this razor and it has a lot of character in my opinon and I like that in a vintage razor.

I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about using a slant as I know they can be quite aggressive so thought I'm doing a traditional 3 pass shave but to be safer I wanted to do my skin stretching short stroke technique on the first pass just to feel it out before taking long strokes as I didn't want any weepers today.

So as you see in the photos I used.
Soap - Pure 2 o Dam Fine from PannaCrema
Blade - Kai
Brush - Fine stout
Bowl - Fine
AS - Thayers Lemon

Oh and if there are any Hoffritz guys out there that can fill me in on a little history on this razor it would be much appreciated. I've read a little on it and it seems like it was made by Merkur in Germany. Don't know the year it might have been made.

Anyway on with the shave.

1st pass: lathered up a nice thick later so I had some protection between me and a nick. This is like the 3rd time I've used this soap and to me it's a sleeper. I've got two of the other much more expensive soaps by PannaCrema but this is just about as good IMO as it offers good glide and although a little thirsty which is ok I really like the after shave feel. So as mentioned I started WTG using the short strokes and I was surprised how fast I found the angle and I'm thinking to myself this razor seems like a smoother shaver and yet I got a lot of audible feedback as it was really taking down my growth. At the end of the pass I rinsed and felt my face and I was like wow! I was very close to a solid DFS! But I thought no I'm going to stick to my plan of a 3 pass shave.

2nd pass: So after the surprising 1st pass I thought lets continue with the short strokes and not get to cocky on this first shave. I decided to do a progressive back and forth stroke going XTG back and forth while stretching my skin in more of a straight razor technique going a little ear to nose and then come back up and go nose to ear in a continuous movement only stopping to rinse the razor when it needed it and it didn't need it much as the lather seemed to flow through the head nicely. Kept this technique and low and behold at the end of the 2nd pass I was definitely at a BBS shave on my face and only my bad cowlick on my one side of my face needed a little buffing to get there on that spot. There was no need to go ATG which also impressed me. I used an Alum block and had very little feedback and then rinsed with cold water

So to sum it up I really like this razor a lot and it gave me not only a great 2 pass plus touch up BBS shave but is was so smooth getting me there. I never felt like it was going to bite me although I'm sure it would if I got sloppy with my technique. I mean this is no OB or O Ring clone where you can pretty much shave with reckless abandonment and not cut yourself. So for me this razor has earned a spot in my rotation. I've also decided to send it out to Cap to disassemble and and then to Delta Echo as I've decided to have just the knurling coating in a gunmetal finish. No need to touch the other parts of the razor and especially the head as you can see from the photos it's near perfect. Go very luck on this one as I picked it up at a reasonable price and based on the photos from the seller I didn't expect it to be in as good of conditon as it is. So this one is a keeper for sure.

I have that exact same razor, case and blade banks . Picked it up at an auction for $25. It is one of my favorites.
Well you got it for less than I did but I got what I feel was a good price for how nice a shaver it is and the for the reall nice conditon it is in.

Thanks Mark and this is " one of those that just feel right " razors that we talked about. Knew it from the 1st couple of strokes. Oh and speaking of " Feel good razors" I lost out on that NEW the other day... I swear it's just evading me.. I know it. First you send me a great shaver that I fell in love with and I can't seem to land one! It's getting frustrating to say the least! :mad2:

Thanks Mark and this is " one of those that just feel right " razors that we talked about. Knew it from the 1st couple of strokes. Oh and speaking of " Feel good razors" I lost out on that NEW the other day... I swear it's just evading me.. I know it. First you send me a great shaver that I fell in love with and I can't seem to land one! It's getting frustrating to say the least! :mad2:
We will talk. I might have to let one go to invest in an Aristocrat.:001_wub:

Your handle is in much better condition than mine, but I love my Hoffritz. Nothing like a fresh Feather in the old slant for a smooth shave.

Nice razor, and yes, the handle is supposed to look like that.

I was told that and since I’m keeping it I thought it might be fun to use a gun coating in a Gunmetal Grey just on the knurling. Originally I was going to do it in a black Rhodium but Cap thought a Gun coating might look cool.
Actually I’m good with it as is so we’ll see.

Your handle is in much better condition than mine, but I love my Hoffritz. Nothing like a fresh Feather in the old slant for a smooth shave.

I used a Kai in it and like I said got a great Shave but I’ll give it a spin with a Feather next time and compare the two.

Thanks!

Great review. I just used mine for the first time today. Got it as a gift for my birthday last weekend. I too am very pleased with it. I did the same thing, Planned on a 3 pass and stopped on the 2nd just shocked. To be honest I had only used a Van Der Hagen DE for around 2 years, but I noticed the difference in a heart beat. This Hoffritz will be my daily razor without question. :)

0A3A50DD-7C48-49B7-9F42-1429B6271144.jpeg
Great review. I just used mine for the first time today. Got it as a gift for my birthday last weekend. I too am very pleased with it. I did the same thing, Planned on a 3 pass and stopped on the 2nd just shocked. To be honest I had only used a Van Der Hagen DE for around 2 years, but I noticed the difference in a heart beat. This Hoffritz will be my daily razor without question. :)
Big congrats! They are my personal favorite slant razor and it is one of those razors that is a permanent resident and if it was the only razor I had it I would be more than fine with it. Just had mine professionally cleaned and tuned up by Captan Murphy or Cap and I thought it was going before I sent it out but he just sent these photos back and I was like Wow!

Very nice. Ive got a couple open comb Hoffritz razors and theyre very nice shavers (although I found them to be pretty aggressive), Ive never tried a slant though. Like you said, they were rebranded Merkurs, although Id say the quality of the vintage ones is far superior to what Merkur is putting out now. As for when it was made, who knows and I dont think theres a way to tell. Hoffritz branded razors were made from the '30s all the way up to the '80s and I dont believe they did any serial numbers or date codes like Gillette did.

Top Bottom