What's new

First shave Merkur 37C

Morning all,

Just finished a shave with my new Merkur 37C. Most of what I've read has been about how aggressive it is. After using it I can say it is not a razor for a "newbie" to wet shaving should pick up as the first razor. That said, it was a great shave. I use a very light touch when shaving so that was not an issue. I had to adjust the angle a few degrees to get it just right. No issues in getting the blade centered when tightening down on it. The result was a BBS with one tiny weeper below the right sideburn as I was adjusting getting the sideburn even.

Pros:

It shaves like any other razor as to how you hold it even though it is slanted.
The sound of the beard being cut is impressive and helped in adjusting the angle.
The weight of the razor is above average and helps in letting the razor do the work.
It is easy to grip the handle even when your hand is wet.

Cons:

On the jawline and just under one needs to take special care as to the angle of the razor head. I go slow and short as to strokes and I realized if I had rushed it I could have had issues in this area.

On a scale of 1-5 (1 being poor) I would rate this razor as a 4+

I have been using the 37C exclusively for about 6 months. I never understood "aggressive" as a description. The better word is "efficient". I would add that you should go through a number of blades when switching to the slant as the blade you preferred in another razor may not work best for you in the slant.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Thank you for the review. I look forward to using mine in the very near future. It should be in the mailbox when I come home tonight.

I would absolutly agree on trying several different blades. I love the Polsilver SI in my R41 and in my Dreadnought Spartan (rebranded EJ89) so when I put it in my 37c I thought "ok this is a nice razor" and put it in my rotation. A co-worker gave me a couple of the Personna "Lab Blue" blades to try so I loaded one in my 37c and WOW it turned the 37c into a wonderful work of shaving magic. Now I am questioning my reasoning for owning anything other then the 37c with a Personna blade.

I have been using the 37C exclusively for about 6 months. I never understood "aggressive" as a description. The better word is "efficient". I would add that you should go through a number of blades when switching to the slant as the blade you preferred in another razor may not work best for you in the slant.
100% agree. "Efficient" is definitely the word to use with the 37C rather than "aggressive."

Glad you liked it. It is one of my favorite razors and will always have a place in the rotation.

Top Bottom