What's new

First SE Shave (Gem Jr.)

Wow! I just shaved with one of my Gem Jrs. this morning. First time, as I've collected them faster than I could finish my current DE trials. It was really nerve-wracking in a good way, as I couldn't always see the edge to check for alignment because the head is so big if often blocks the view. But it always felt great (had a good lather), and the sound was amazing. Instead of the crackling rattle of the DE, this thing was twanging, actually a metallic pinging echoing out of that open head (which acts like a sound box). Fantastic, smooth shave, rivaling my best DE, and no irritation.

I was asking about recommended angles the other day, and this one surprised me. It actually shaved best at a very shallow angle, just off of flat against the face. I kept automatically raising it to the 30 or so degrees I use for DEs, but each time I could feel the cutting stop.

I'm using GEM blades from Personna, stainless, which I'm lucky my local Walgreens carries. For this trial, I'll stick with the same razor (I usually switch around) for a full week to see how long the blade lasts...unless I hafta bail early to save my face.

Thanks for all the info you guys have provided in all your posts on the subject of SEs. This adds a whole new dimension to shaving. Can't wait to try the 6 others (1912s, Jr., Micromatic, G-Bar, Featherweight, and an Ever-Ready), but these are not DEs, and I think I need to be a bit more careful and get very familiar with each before moving to the next. And I'm going to do it from oldest to newest, to follow the evolution.:lol:

Jeezuz, am I obsessed or what?

No, not obsessed ... entirely. I am a vintage Gillette freak, yet I can truly appreciate the zinging shave from one of my 1912's, either GEM, Junior or Ever-Ready.

and the sound was amazing. Instead of the crackling rattle of the DE, this thing was twanging, actually a metallic pinging echoing out of that open head (which acts like a sound box). Fantastic, smooth shave, rivaling my best DE, and no irritation.

It actually shaved best at a very shallow angle, just off of flat against the face. I kept automatically raising it to the 30 or so degrees I use for DEs, but each time I could feel the cutting stop.

I'm using GEM blades from Personna, stainless, which I'm lucky my local Walgreens carries. For this trial, I'll stick with the same razor (I usually switch around) for a full week to see how long the blade lasts..

Jeezuz, am I obsessed or what?

Rafferty,

Congratulations on your first SE shave! Excellent description. The sound is truly unique. Believe it or not, last night was my 9th shave from a non-stropped Gem Personna blade from Walgreens. These things do not dull fast. I still occasionally shave with a DE, but the 1912 SE will always be my primary shaver.

DL

Top Bottom