What's new

First R41 Shave.

All I can say is wow, this is quite an amazing shave. Three days of growth mowed down like it wasn't there. I love the sound of this razor it really is spectacular.

I do have a question for the other R41 owners out there. Did you notice a discoloration on the cap in-between the post where the blades go? Is this a reason for concern or is it normal my R89 has this but it is still an off chrome color I can only describe this as maybe rose gold.

Pictures

Attachments

• $IMG_0141.jpg
    $IMG_0141.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 214
  • $IMG_0142.jpg
    $IMG_0142.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 213
  • $IMG_0143.jpg
    $IMG_0143.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 213
Looks like machining but almost scares me I can't tell if it is rust or oxidation. My R89 cap does not look like that

Mine has the same discoloration in the same spot. I thought it was weird as well. Mine is the 2011 model. I forgot about it until you posted this.

Mine is nicely polished (2013 model).

Truly an incredible razor and now my go to everyday razor. Astra SPs, Gillette Silver Blues or Platinums, and Feathers all work really nicely for me with the R41. With the right technique this razor is unstoppable! 2 pass BBS on a consistent basis. Love it.

You'll enjoy each shave more and more as you start trying out blades and can tell very subtle differences. Congrats on the purchase!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My 2011 looks just like your. In fact, I have 2 of them and they are both that way.

Doesn't look like great plating. It probably won't give you issues but it's definitely something the warranty would cover, as it looks like a defect.

Return it and get another one

I love my r41, but there is no excuse for those kind of physical defects on a brand new razor.

Yeah, I'm pretty anal so I'd agree with Myosin (not implying that Myosin is anal :bored:) I'd send it back. Of course, I wipe and polish everything on the sink and on the mirror after I'm done shaving.

PS: posted my R41 review just now.

Spee, now you're just showing off! : )

Haha, sorry! I'm completely obsessed with it and SWMBO is probably a tad bit irritated with the attention the shave den has been getting coupled with the "stay away from the area" discussions! Haaaa! Yeah, I went all in on this set up after getting the R41 and then seeing the matching brush on another thread...was an instant must have that I definitely spent too much on all together but see it as a solid investment into the future as unlikely won't be buying another razor/brush for a long time now.

So gents, after a discussion with the vendor that for integrity shake will remain unnamed. I was belittled and made to feel bad for not being satisfied with the said razor. In fact here are the exact words I was given, First it was

1. " You are welcome to come with a magnifying glass and inspect all of our razors until you find what you want.

2. " You are claiming that a razor made by the snobbiest company in the world is " not good enough for you", I have sold thousands of these razors and never had a problem.

3. " Come exchange it I guess I will be stuck adopting your razor"

Sigh... not my business.. so I will not comment.... As a business man though big no no's. Where I spend my money is my buisness.

Anyways I emailed Muhle and they took 9 hours to tell me they would send a replacement. Wow that was easy and quick. So I will receive a new top cap. Here's the question will the 2013 cap fit the 2011 base plate?

I believe, but am not sure, that the base plate for the new R41 (2013 model) is slightly wider. I ordered my 2013 R41 from Connaught and had no problems except the wait which seemed like forever but was really about a week and a half (which would have been less had I paid for faster shipping!). :001_tt2: As for your vendor interactions, I am surprised and saddened by their response. Even if they thought that the discoloration was not a marker of quality issues in your razor, I would have at least expected a more professional response. In the US, I have had great customer service from westcoastshaving.com and bullgooseshaving.com.

So gents, after a discussion with the vendor that for integrity shake will remain unnamed. I was belittled and made to feel bad for not being satisfied with the said razor. In fact here are the exact words I was given, First it was

1. " You are welcome to come with a magnifying glass and inspect all of our razors until you find what you want.

2. " You are claiming that a razor made by the snobbiest company in the world is " not good enough for you", I have sold thousands of these razors and never had a problem.

3. " Come exchange it I guess I will be stuck adopting your razor"

Sigh... not my business.. so I will not comment.... As a business man though big no no's. Where I spend my money is my buisness.

Anyways I emailed Muhle and they took 9 hours to tell me they would send a replacement. Wow that was easy and quick. So I will receive a new top cap. Here's the question will the 2013 cap fit the 2011 base plate?

Wow! Very interesting! But the actual Mühle customer service was good then? Not sure on the cap but I know I purchased mine straight from Mühle and I think it still came from an authorized retailer. I don't have any reason to complain to them as my razor is in perfect condition as far as I know (will double check) but I'm shocked by those vendor responses. Everyone needs to remember that we hold the power with our $$$ as the consumer! (Like you said, where you spend your money is your business)

Top Bottom