What's new

First open comb shave, stellar!

For some reason OC's don't work so good for me. I still haven't given up on my OC's but I have always better results from SBs

For some reason OC's don't work so good for me. I still haven't given up on my OC's but I have always better results from SBs

It's definitely a different shaving experience. I had to adjust the moment it touched my lip. Kinda like, 'Oop! Thaaaaat's not yer mama's razor! Slow your roll.' Give it some time. Also, which open combs have you tried?

It's definitely a different shaving experience. I had to adjust the moment it touched my lip. Kinda like, 'Oop! Thaaaaat's not yer mama's razor! Slow your roll.' Give it some time. Also, which open combs have you tried?

Haha, yeah but I can work with really aggressive SBs but OC heads feels different.

I have a Parker 24c and Wolfman OC. I just bought a Canadian NEW on eBay, I heard good things about it, maybe I will have a better experience with it.

Fence-sitter that I am, I'm currently waiting for a Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless razor to appear in my mailbox, probably in two days.

It's a 3-piece with an open comb on one side of the head and a regular guard bar on the other.
(Aieeee! A Frankenrazor! :scared:)
proxy.php
I got it, have been using it, and I like it.
Last night I used it to reduce my circle beard down to a mustache. I had the "old growth" chin part roughly trimmed to about 1/4"-1/2" with scissors, and then went at it with the OC side. The blade was the 4th use of an Astra SP. It sailed right through it, and just the normal swish in the water was enough to clear the blade between strokes, which is what I predicted. I flipped it around to the straight bar side for the 3rd pass and touch-ups. No weepers or burn to speak of, even on the newly-cleared areas.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a vintage Gillette OC.

Last edited:
I actually just got a Fatip Grande to go with my Maggard V2 OC. Since I'm participating in the OCtober thread, I ditched my slant for open combs this month. I used the Maggard OC as my daily driver for most of the summer and loved it. I only picked up the Fatip because I wanted to try something different and the price was awesome.

I would definitely recommend the Fatip just based off my 1 week of experience with it. I had become so partial to my slant, I kind of forgot about my OC razors until this month started and I found a real winner by picking up the Fatip. Definitely has a place in my den.

Got a Maggard V2OC in the mail yesterday and jumped in head first (pun intended) last night. Terrific! I see what people mean about open combs' potential to bite. It seems one uses even less pressure than with a closed comb, in order to keep things smooth. Anyway, VERY aggressive, real smooth and over all, extremely efficient. My new favorite! Considering a steel open comb head for longevity but the Ikon costs $100. Anyone have a more economical recommendation by chance? Oh also, if you don't own one of these and are thinking about buying one, it's a pretty bulky head. That was the first thing I noticed about it. No matter tho, it's pretty awesome!
Schone Italian. Wonderful OC razor for under $30.

I've had my eye on the Schone for a while
It's a really great OC razor. Much better than the Fatip Grande or Piccolo, and I have them all. The Schone in gold looks great. It's a wonderfully smooth and efficient shaver. I used it this morning, well yesterday now!

OCs are my favourites. Fatip Piccolo is my best razor bar none, cheap, and made of nickel-plated brass. If you want to go vintage, I'd plump for the Gillette Old.

The only thing holding me back from buying the Schone, is the weight of the handle. I prefer a heavier handle and a well balanced razor. I hear the handle is hollow :/

The only thing holding me back from buying the Schone, is the weight of the handle. I prefer a heavier handle and a well balanced razor. I hear the handle is hollow :/
The handle sure looks like it's identical to that of the Fatip Grande. I don't find it unbalanced at all on my Grande. The Schone head has two fewer teeth, presumably thicker, than the head on the Fatip, but I expect the head weight is very close between the two. The Fatip, has slightly oddball threading, so not all handles fit, but many do, so fitting a different handle shouldn't be a problem, even if the Schone has the same threading as the Fatip.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a vintage Gillette OC.
Since the Fendrihan Scientist, I've acquired a Gillette Long-Comb NEW, and a RazoRock OLD Type OC. Both are much milder than the Fendrihan, which I am now finding too aggressive (on both sides). I use it much less often now.

The Gillette NEW and the RR OLD don't seem (to me) to be any more aggressive than a Slim set to 5 or so.

Ooh, I just had a look at one of those (online). I like the appearance, and a hollow handle is right up my alley, mass-wise. 66 Grams for the whole razor.
It really is a great razor to use. I prefer it to all the Fatip razors I own, and I like it more than the Gillette New Type circa 1930. I liked the old RR Jaws too, but this Schone Italian may be better. I used it the other day, and it reminded me of how good a shaver it is.

Since the Fendrihan Scientist, I've acquired a Gillette Long-Comb NEW, and a RazoRock OLD Type OC. Both are much milder than the Fendrihan, which I am now finding too aggressive (on both sides). I use it much less often now.

The Gillette NEW and the RR OLD don't seem (to me) to be any more aggressive than a Slim set to 5 or so.
Neither is especially aggressive. I liked the old RR Jaws, sadly no longer available. I don't mind aggressive, but I hate inefficient and aggressive. The Schone Italian just delivers a great shave and it not blade fussy at all. I would say it's a little more aggressive than a Gillette New Type circa 1930. It's very comfortable to use, and a bargain at under $30.

Top Bottom