What's new

First open comb shave, stellar!

Got a Maggard V2OC in the mail yesterday and jumped in head first (pun intended) last night. Terrific! I see what people mean about open combs' potential to bite. It seems one uses even less pressure than with a closed comb, in order to keep things smooth. Anyway, VERY aggressive, real smooth and over all, extremely efficient. My new favorite! Considering a steel open comb head for longevity but the Ikon costs $100. Anyone have a more economical recommendation by chance? Oh also, if you don't own one of these and are thinking about buying one, it's a pretty bulky head. That was the first thing I noticed about it. No matter tho, it's pretty awesome!

Maybe a Fatip in your future. Reasonable price, all brass. I have a Grande which I've been using every day since June. Wonderful shaver.

Well done. Recommendation - vintage Gillette New. Just go buy the original. Cheap and last a lifetime+.

Is that how you reached 50? Good for you. I have no time to waste on useless post(ing)s, but thanks anyway.

Fence-sitter that I am, I'm currently waiting for a Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless razor to appear in my mailbox, probably in two days.

It's a 3-piece with an open comb on one side of the head and a regular guard bar on the other.
(Aieeee! A Frankenrazor! :scared:)
proxy.php

The best of both worlds, one would hope.
proxy.php

They go for Cdn$49.95, or US$39.95 on the US Fendrihan site.

A review of the Ambassador (which is identical except for the handle) sez "The open comb is just a bit scratchy..." but is otherwise favourable.

Fence-sitter that I am, I'm currently waiting for a Fendrihan "Scientist" Full Stainless razor to appear in my mailbox, probably in two days.

It's a 3-piece with an open comb on one side of the head and a regular guard bar on the other.
(Aieeee! A Frankenrazor! :scared:)
proxy.php

The best of both worlds, one would hope.
proxy.php

They go for Cdn$49.95, or US$39.95 on the US Fendrihan site.

A review of the Ambassador (which is identical except for the handle) sez "The open comb is just a bit scratchy..." but is otherwise favourable.

I've seen these! Pretty cool!

Top Bottom