What's new

First moustache - please help a newbie !

Gentlemen,

First of all, I'd like thank this wonderful forum and members for all the superb information. I truly enjoy reading the posts and comments.

I am on my second week of growing a moustache. My goal is to have a handle bar at one point.

The 2 week growth is already driving me insane. This is the first time in my life where facial hair has been present for note than 24 hrs! I shave daily.

I have fairly thick hair and Im noticing a few ingrowns. It appears the tip of the hair is growing back into the skin.

Is there a remedy to this? Also, at what point should I start applying moustache wax. Though tempted, the two week growth has remained untouched / untrimmed.

Any tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ara

I never had much issue with hair growing back on my lip, but you might use the process of lathering with soap and a brush as normal. Just to clean the hair, move the follicles around and lift any shafts that are not pointing out. I found for me the process of a mustache was only finding it'self completing by the time I'd forgot I was trying to do something with it. Somewhere after the point where I started thinking it was a lot of work just keeping everyone in line. But, that's when it finally dawned on me it was the look I'd started out for so long ago.

Never did wax works. I was more interested in dense, short, and close.

Although I've never experienced hairs deciding to creep back in, I'd suggest running a comb through it daily. It should 'tug' the follicle free and end this nasty business. Hope this helps.

TPL

Last edited:
I've had a beard and moustache for decades. Never experienced ingrown hairs, but I do have unruly little buggers from time to time! So I do have a suggestion. Get some beard oil or beard balm, I use the Honest Amish brand but there are other good ones, and rub it into your moustache twice a day - - after your shower while the hair is still wet, and then again after dinner in the evening - - dampen the hair first. Massage it in gently. It will keep the moustache soft and make it less likely to curl inward. Also, don't put soap on your moustache! - - soap just dries it out and makes the hair stiff and cranky. Use a mild shampoo. There are some good beard care tips on the Honest Amish site. Hope this helps.

Also, don't put soap on your moustache! - - soap just dries it out and makes the hair stiff and cranky.

Out of interest, do you mean regular hand soap or does that include shaving soaps as well? How about face soap?

TPL

hand soap is a definite no-no. face soap could mean several things from bars to gels to lotions. I don't use any of those on my beard. this is after reading about and trying several over the years. they all left my beard dry and rough feeling. however, there are some all natural face soaps that are glycerin or lanolin based that might do the job. I use the Honest Amish Beard Soap to clean my beard, to soften my whiskers pre-shave, and for body soap too. I tend to have dry skin (I'm 66 years old) and it relieves any itching, etc on my arms and legs. I don't really know what to say about shaving soap. I started DE shaving again only about two months ago. I use mostly shaving creams and I always follow with beard oil or balm. So far I haven't had any problems -- YMMV.

I've had a beard and moustache for decades. Never experienced ingrown hairs, but I do have unruly little buggers from time to time! So I do have a suggestion. Get some beard oil or beard balm, I use the Honest Amish brand but there are other good ones, and rub it into your moustache twice a day - - after your shower while the hair is still wet, and then again after dinner in the evening - - dampen the hair first. Massage it in gently. It will keep the moustache soft and make it less likely to curl inward. Also, don't put soap on your moustache! - - soap just dries it out and makes the hair stiff and cranky. Use a mild shampoo. There are some good beard care tips on the Honest Amish site. Hope this helps.
This might actually be what I'm missing with my mustache. I have a good five months growth and coming along very well. But I always notice that it seems so dry. I use firehouse dark which of course thickens it up and styles it nicely, but did not seem to condition it at all. Will have to try a beard balm on it and see it that makes it a bit better.

Gentlemen,

First of all, I'd like thank this wonderful forum and members for all the superb information. I truly enjoy reading the posts and comments.

I am on my second week of growing a moustache. My goal is to have a handle bar at one point.

The 2 week growth is already driving me insane. This is the first time in my life where facial hair has been present for note than 24 hrs! I shave daily.

I have fairly thick hair and Im noticing a few ingrowns. It appears the tip of the hair is growing back into the skin.

Is there a remedy to this? Also, at what point should I start applying moustache wax. Though tempted, the two week growth has remained untouched / untrimmed.

Any tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ara

Gents,

Thank you all for the pointers and tips.

I managed to keep my mustache for 6 whole weeks. Since I shave daily, 6 weeks of facial hair has been hard to deal with!

It appears I have extremely rough and curly facial hair. Therefore, taming the stache without any pomade / wax is impossible.

I tried the new proraso mustache wax and I didn't work. Couldn't stand the smell.

I tried clubman mustache wax today, and it seemed to do better.

My only issue is the trimming / alignment. I try to be careful not to ruin the line, yet I manage to screw up!

Here's a picture of what it looks like so far.

I hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

Have a good weekend.

Ara

proxy.php
[/URL]

Hi, Ara! The moustache is looking good. I've had handlebars before. One thing I found, after combing it, if you decide to trim any, only trim the hairs that would make a toothbrush moustache. Basically, only the 'innermost' hairs. Start at the ridge of your upper lip, under the center of your nose. Comb the hairs on each of said ridge in the direction of the side the ridge they are on. I.e., on the right side, comb to the right, and on the left, comb to the left. The hairs in the middle might fall a bit wide. If they do, simply hold the further ones with your thumb and forefinger. Comb the hairs that would form a toothbrush, i.e. Charlie Chaplin look, straight down, and, trim them to the edge of your lip.

It looks like you've basically got it, though. Your toughest challenge will be to select the best wax for your 'stache.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom