What's new

First Micromatic: Single Edge blades?

So I was convinced from reading a couple threads that I NEEDED a gem razor, and wound up getting two open comb micromatics from one bay auction for 17 bucks after watching prices for a week or so.

Anyway, I was wondering what brand of Single Edge Blades do you guys recommend for these razors? Any vendor suggestions along with brands would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :001_smile

P

Pjotr

GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades. Don't get anything from your hardware store if you were considering that. I don't know where you live but apparently Walgreens have them in five blades dispensers. There are other ones but they're pretty much the standard go to SE blades. I'd PIF you a few if you live in Australia. Online, you can get them from Connaught Shaving in the UK (packs of ten or more if you want) and there are a few online set ups in the US. I'm sure others will chime in. Be careful with the Open Comb. Check out mrguysrazors on youtube for an idea on how to shave with it. Good luck.

The Walgreens around me carry the Gem/Personna stainless blades in a 10 pack dispenser for $5 and some change. Rite Aid carries Treet carbon steel, CVS has their house brand carbon steel and the Gem Blue Star and PAL carbon steel can be found at some independent grocery and drugstores.

The Walgreens around me carry the Gem/Personna stainless blades in a 10 pack dispenser for $5 and some change. Rite Aid carries Treet carbon steel, CVS has their house brand carbon steel and the Gem Blue Star and PAL carbon steel can be found at some independent grocery and drugstores.

I found the Gem blades (stainless steel) yesterday at Bed Bath & Beyond and the Treet at Rite Aid. Interestingly enough, both come in the same exact blade dispenser which says, "American Safety Razor Co." I wanted to distinguish the stainless steel Gems from the Treets so I scratched and SS onto the dispenser.

I found the Gem blades (stainless steel) yesterday at Bed Bath & Beyond and the Treet at Rite Aid. Interestingly enough, both come in the same exact blade dispenser which says, "American Safety Razor Co." I wanted to distinguish the stainless steel Gems from the Treets so I scratched and SS onto the dispenser.

The stainless have the words "stainless" and GEM stamped on the spine, while the Treet should have 009RD stamped on them.

True, but it's hard to see when they are in the case. From all outward appearances the cases and blades are identical. You can't tell the difference until you pull a blade out of the dispenser. My big thing is the quicker rust/discoloration of the carbon steel blades. I'm assuming the stainless steel hold up better?

True, but it's hard to see when they are in the case. From all outward appearances the cases and blades are identical. You can't tell the difference until you pull a blade out of the dispenser.

That's true. The CVS and Gem Blue Stars also come in the same dispenser as the Treets and also have the 009RD stamp. I write what they are on the side of the dispenser with a red magic marker since the carbon steel blades all look identical.

I had my first shave with a Gem Micromatic yesterday, but made the mistake of using hardware store blades. They didn't seem to have a good finish on the edge and pulled at my beard. I broke down and bought some Treet blades at the pharmacy today and will let you know how they work out.

I also remember reading about a guy who stropped his single edge blades on denim and had good results. I'm going to give that a shot. If it works I can get 10 blades for .98 cents. If it doesn't work I have extra paint scrapers.

I had my first shave with a Gem Micromatic yesterday, but made the mistake of using hardware store blades. They didn't seem to have a good finish on the edge and pulled at my beard. I broke down and bought some Treet blades at the pharmacy today and will let you know how they work out.

I also remember reading about a guy who stropped his single edge blades on denim and had good results. I'm going to give that a shot. If it works I can get 10 blades for .98 cents. If it doesn't work I have extra paint scrapers.

Yeah, most blades from hardware stores aren't sharp enough. The Treets are my favorites, just be sure to dry them off immediately after use or they will rust. If you have a CVS around their blades are also very good, as are the stainless Gem/Personnas from Walgreens.

Yeah, most blades from hardware stores aren't sharp enough. The Treets are my favorites, just be sure to dry them off immediately after use or they will rust. If you have a CVS around their blades are also very good, as are the stainless Gem/Personnas from Walgreens.

Thanks for the advice on drying off the blade. The Treet was the ticket. Not quite BBS, but a DFS none the less. I was very impressed, it did an amazing job on my neck, which my Hoffritz slant doesn't always do. It is definately in my rotation now.

Something else I picked up from Tom is to put the blades in something that is air tight after you wipe it off. I get a ton of shaves from a blade, I think this is a big reason. I just recycled a jar from the pantry and put a dry wash cloth in it with a few of the silica gel packs. I would have never thought of it but, it works!

It does seem to help them last longer, glad it's working for you.

P

Pjotr

That's true. The CVS and Gem Blue Stars also come in the same dispenser as the Treets and also have the 009RD stamp. I write what they are on the side of the dispenser with a red magic marker since the carbon steel blades all look identical.

Also, as a word of warning, be careful with the 009RD marking as the sole means of identification. I tried a 009RD blade, stopped after two strokes and couldn't shave for three days afterwards. 009 is the thickness (0.009") and RD stands for regular duty. It was stamped on a blade from a pack of GEM Red Star blades stocked in the shaving section of an Australian chemist. Not sure why they stamp RD on blades that are clearly different but there you go. I thought, shaving section, GEM, 009RD would be a safe bet. It wasn't.

So I was convinced from reading a couple threads that I NEEDED a gem razor, and wound up getting two open comb micromatics from one bay auction for 17 bucks after watching prices for a week or so.

Anyway, I was wondering what brand of Single Edge Blades do you guys recommend for these razors? Any vendor suggestions along with brands would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :001_smile

Nice MMOC score! Are they both the same?

As for blades, GEM stainless steel are very good. I prefer the carbon steel blades, though -- mine are PALs. Be sure to rinse off the blade and pat it dry after every shave. I get six or seven good shaves from a carbon steel blade that way.

I just picked up an OCMM as well (waiting for it to be delivered) was by a CVS earlier tonight and grabbed two 10 packs of blades because they were by one get one half off. Figured for 6.51 this was a decent place to start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom