What's new

First Impressions: Merkur 37C Slant

I keep and use only two safety razors. One of them is a 37C. It does its job nicely. Every new unfamiliar razor has a learning curve. It takes a little time to figure out, get to know and settle in with. It's like finding a new friend.

I just ordered one of these off Amazon as well, seeing they were well priced. Excited to give it a try when it comes in.

After reading about it, some seem to call it "aggressive" while others use the term "efficient". Either way, I'm hoping it helps with some irritation I seem to get occasionally on my lower neck.

I keep and use only two safety razors. One of them is a 37C. It does its job nicely. Every new unfamiliar razor has a learning curve. It takes a little time to figure out, get to know and settle in with. It's like finding a new friend.

:thumbup1:

It's an awesome razor. It's probably the most efficient razor there is. But for smoothest, my vote is for the Rockwell 6s.

I have to try the Rockwell... I keep hearing good things about it. The only thing that really holds me back is I bought an iKon 5 set years back and now two of the base plates sit mostly unused which bothers me. I'll probably end up PIFing them to someone who has a deluxe OC. But with the Rockwell, no one in the world won't have the plates I don't use... If they made a 2S with the 2/4 settings, I'd be all over that in a NY minute...

After reading about it, some seem to call it "aggressive" while others use the term "efficient". Either way, I'm hoping it helps with some irritation I seem to get occasionally on my lower neck.

I think calling it aggressive is a misnomer as well. Efficient, yes. It effortlessly mows down stubble. But to me aggressive (to the extreme) means a lot of blade feel; the potential for the razor to bite in a significant way; a mandate to shave with great care and a deft touch; and a shave close enough to potentially cause ingrown hairs; as close as you can get to a straight razor shave without using a strop; etc. This is nothing like that.

If you're a Feather AS-D2/Gillette Tech user that finds these to give an ideal shave, you will probably feel like this is an aggressive razor. But in the full spectrum of aggression, this on is rather on the mild side. I can execute a completely brainless hack-job shave and the worst I'd have to worry about is a couple of weepers. But it shaves a good piece closer than the AS-D2 at the same time, and to me feels like it achieves better glide than the Feather. IMHO, it's a really nice razor. You're gonna enjoy it, I believe.

This thread motivated me to pick this razor back up after not using it for a while. Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder, but after a smooth, easy and weeperless BBS shave, I had to ask myself why I ever bought another razor. Well, RAD, of course. Duh.

This thread motivated me to pick this razor back up after not using it for a while. Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder, but after a smooth, easy and weeperless BBS shave, I had to ask myself why I ever bought another razor. Well, RAD, of course. Duh.
It happens to the best of us haha... I'm receiving three new razors today, and same thing... why? I'm getting truly ah-ha! shaves with this one...

Curiosity may not really kill the cat, but it will empty the wallet!

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

If they made a 2S with the 2/4 settings, I'd be all over that in a NY minute...

Yeah, especially for a repeat buyer who would appreciate that for a travel razor. Nope. Gareth says too tough to keep up with demand as is so for the time being he is limiting to full sets only, even for repeat buyers. But they are making a 2c (though only with plate 1-3), so I am sure he has thought about this.

used my 37c this morning, BBS shave and still DFS nearly 9 hours later. The 37C is the best slant I've tried. I picked up a Rockwell 6c (the zamak version of the 6s). Not in love. I don't know if it would differ substantially, if the heads use the same molds that the 6s uses. I'll give it another try. I didn't find the level 6 all the aggressive.

used my 37c this morning, BBS shave and still DFS nearly 9 hours later. The 37C is the best slant I've tried. I picked up a Rockwell 6c (the zamak version of the 6s). Not in love. I don't know if it would differ substantially, if the heads use the same molds that the 6s uses. I'll give it another try. I didn't find the level 6 all the aggressive.

The 6s, even with plate 6, is not an aggressive razor. But it is designed very well, and is therefore very smooth, and efficient, with extra emphasis on smooth. In other words, for me, I can get a BBS shave seven days a week without irritation.

The 6s, even with plate 6, is not an aggressive razor. But it is designed very well, and is therefore very smooth, and efficient, with extra emphasis on smooth. In other words, for me, I can get a BBS shave seven days a week without irritation.

Yeah, that seems to be what I've heard most folks say about the 6S, not super aggressive, even on 6. But a good smooth shaver. I'm just talking out my rear now; I don't actually have one. I've just read a lot of reviews...

Funny, but I've considered my Merkur Slant to be a fair bit more than mild. It's one of those YMMV deals, yes, but I've used it more over the past year on Mondays when hacking through three days worth of beard. A true performer on Mondays, but I've never really given much thought to the loading of the blade to improve the shave.
Great. Another reason to be somewhat "with it" dark and early on a Monday morning!
I've been paying attention to loading the blade in my vintage TTO Gillettes, aligning the tabs evenly and what have you, but haven't paid attention when loading newer models of razors in my meagre den. Food for thought.

@Porgy Tirebiter I wouldn't say I've tried a lot of modern razors, but will attest that most of the ones I've tried have some degree of "slop" to them. In most cases, I think most people wouldn't notice really if the blade wasn't exactly perfect. But if you start to pay attention, you can visibly see the skew.

The 37 however, is a stand-out in that regard. I can probably shift the blade ± 6 or 7 degrees off true to the blade guard. And can shift the blade laterally probably 0.5 mm give or take. If you load it goofy, you can definitely make it more temperamental. IMO though, even loaded crooked and shifted all the way to one side, it's still a pretty effortless shaver. The R41 would certainly not allow the same speed and lack of attention without demanding some flesh in return...

Used this for the first time today, got a nice and close shave. Angle was easy to find, I didn't really have to think about it.

Think I'm going to grow everything out a couple days and put it to the test with a sharper blade and see how it does.

I'm a fan of the two piece design, and like how short the handle is (seems easier to maneuver around my mustache area). It's a cool little razor.

I just received my 37c I purchased from Muzichead. Man he takes care of his razors. Looks brand new. I put an Astra sp in it, lathered up and enjoyed a great shave. First time with a slant. Very nice very close. I love it. Thank you Muzichead!

I just received my 37c I purchased from Muzichead. Man he takes care of his razors. Looks brand new. I put an Astra sp in it, lathered up and enjoyed a great shave. First time with a slant. Very nice very close. I love it. Thank you Muzichead!
Hey John, glad to see you got the razor but even happier that you got a great shave from it. I'm sure it will serve you just as well as it served me. :a17:

Funny, but I've considered my Merkur Slant to be a fair bit more than mild. It's one of those YMMV deals, yes, but I've used it more over the past year on Mondays when hacking through three days worth of beard. A true performer on Mondays, but I've never really given much thought to the loading of the blade to improve the shave.
Great. Another reason to be somewhat "with it" dark and early on a Monday morning!
I've been paying attention to loading the blade in my vintage TTO Gillettes, aligning the tabs evenly and what have you, but haven't paid attention when loading newer models of razors in my meagre den. Food for thought.

Funny that you said that because I like my 37c most when I have 3+ days of growth. It efficiently gets me to BBS and leaves me with no irritation. However, if then use it for the following few consecutive daily shaves, it does give me some irritation by the third shave or so

I shave my head and neck (I have a beard) every other day. I've tried a lot of razors but nothing is as smooth or efficient for me than the 39c. Most of my experience is with vintage Gillettes but I have also owned a DE89, Merkur 38c, R-41 (post 2013) and a RR Hawk SE. I find that the 39c is just as efficient as the R-41 but much milder. I can get pretty aggressive on my head with the 39c, applying pressure, buffing, etc... yet it is mild enough not to irritate my sensitive neck areas (front and back).

I think there are other great razors out there and I'm going to keep looking but for the moment this is the best razor I've found for my specific needs.

Top Bottom