What's new

First Impressions: Merkur 37C Slant

Good morning gents! Time for another anecdotal and relatively useless POV write-up! Fun fun! haha

Yesterday, while sitting on the couch, I heard something slump against the front door just before my phone buzzed with a text message telling me that my Amazon order was delivered. After unboxing and inspecting, I was really anxious to give it a whirl.

So this morning was the maiden voyage. While loading the blade I could tell this was going to be a mild razor. I'm not necessarily for or against mild razors, just my observation. If you weren't aware already, Merkur recently redesigned the head on the 37, which people have said made it milder.

For this shave, I just kept right on going with the same Astra SP blade I've been using this week. It was the third shave on the blade. So, impressions....

Loading the Blade: Initially, I dropped the blade onto the cap and assembled like I would my 34, by holding the handle and tightening. The blade alignment was terrible, which is par for the course with slants, I hear.

After a bit of fiddling, I figured out the fix. After putting the cap on the razor, I put about a half a turn on the screw and then, holding the tightening knob, let go of the razor with my other hand and grab the blade tabs. Holding the razor by only the blade tabs, proceed to tighten, and blade alignment is flawless and effortless. Sweet.

The Shave: Finding the proper angle seemed to be rather intuitive for me. It shaves very similarly to the 34C, which I have extensive experience with, in terms of angle of attack. Don't mistake that to mean the shaves are similar. They're not at all.

The first pass is pretty boring for me, no matter what razor I use. They all feel pretty much the same IMO. Maybe more or less blade feel, but I'm not able to assess a razor accurately based on the first pass. Where this one differed was in starting at the sideburns, I had to pay a little more attention to the angle of the razor, so that I didn't make some goofy angle on my sideburns. I'm a stickler for even sideburns with straight lines. Not a big deal though.

Second Pass: (ATG), this is where I was impressed. On my chin area, my typical experience whether using a mild, medium, or aggressive razor, is that the stroke gets choppy. The razor chatters through the stubble for a couple of strokes, or I have to really zing the razor up my neck and off the tip of my chin to get enough energy behind the blade to actually cut smoothly, which I don't like doing for obvious reasons. The 37, much to my delight, tackled it competently without so much as a stutter. It glided smoothly right on through.

Third Pass & Cleanup: This is where the mildness of the razor became apparent. While the strokes were very friendly and comfortable feeling, I could tell it just wasn't cutting as close as I would like.

Conclusion: This was my first shave. This write-up is not the be all end all of my opinion. I'll spend some time getting to know it and follow up again. What I can say right now: If you like the 34, and you're looking for a slant, but you don't want to start with a super-aggressive slant, this one is friendly. Very friendly compared to the 34; it's milder by a good measure. At no point during my shave did I feel like I was in need of an attentive hand. But at the same time, it is readily capable of giving a good smooth shave. Definitely not R41 close, and maybe not even 34 close, but BBS is obtainable.

In the next week or two, I'll figure out if I can get as close as the 34.

Only slant I have tried is Razorock German 37. I did not like it. I find the shaving angle was tricky to find. The razor felt smooth but it gave razor burn. I find shaving a bit clumpsy with that slant.

@Sausage Interesting, yet another case of YMMV, I suppose.

For the Merkur IME, I think it's an effortless shaver. But to be fair, I've spent a lot of time with the 34, and the handle length, the balance, and the angle are all pretty much the same. I have a harder time switching out to what I would call the "standard" geometry found in many other razors. I have to pay extra care that I pick the handle up in order to get the blade on my face properly...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You should try letting the blade align itself automatically, you may think it looks crooked but that's how they work ... try it, you may be surprised.

@nemo Do you think that makes it more effective? I thought the shave quality was good, just mild.

I'll give it a shot though. Thanks for the tip!

@nemo I see what you're saying. When you look straight down at the cap, you can see the blade alignment relative to the baseplate. I loosed it and re-tightened it without touching the head and the blade aligned perfectly on its own. Again, thanks, good info!

Third Pass & Cleanup: This is where the mildness of the razor became apparent. While the strokes were very friendly and comfortable feeling, I could tell it just wasn't cutting as close as I would like.

Great review!

On clean-up, I use the side of the razor with the wider gap. On this side, the gap is about the equivalent of the Futur set at 3 or so, which is aggressive enough for me to get the job done without too much effort or any irritation.

I have the 39C. I find it smooth and very efficient. My guess is that it may be a bit more aggressive than the 37C given the added weight.

Cheers!

Merkur recently re-designed the head of their slant razor? I had not heard that. The original was not that aggressive. Not sure the change was necessary.

@LoveTheSlant Thanks!

I'll pay more attention to the feel as I go along, and particularly as I'll be shaving with a slightly different setup tomorrow. Today, I can't say I noticed one side being more aggressive than the other. Just my eyeball estimation, but it looks like the natural alignment after doing nemo's suggestion above is pretty spot on even.

And my comments might sound a little bleak, but it's more a case of cork-sniffing. It did easily shave to a BBS level in most areas. And the areas it didn't, not many razors do. And the ones that do, bite if you're not careful. So there's a trade-off there in ease vs. closeness. I'm happy with the result, particularly for a first-drive.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur recently re-designed the head of their slant razor? I had not heard that. The original was not that aggressive. Not sure the change was necessary.

I know that they made some new molds, the old ones were worn, their basic design wasn't changed from what I've seen.

IMG_3497.jpg
Just my eyeball estimation, but it looks like the natural alignment after doing nemo's suggestion above is pretty spot on even.

I don't always use a slant, but when I do, I use the Nemo method. Slants are strange beasts, and I don't want to make them any stranger!

Here is a graphic of what I meant. From this picture, to me at least, the gap is quite a bit larger on the left side (nb: when I use the Nemo method, the blade aligns with the cap). The larger gap on the left side allows me to more easily feel the blade and find the right angle in those places that are tough to get to.

Thanks @nemo for the info on the retooling.

And yeah, don't take my word for it on the "less aggressive" comment, I'm just regurgitating what I found in researching which slant to try first. The infamous "they" told me... haha

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

@Sausage Interesting, yet another case of YMMV, I suppose.

For the Merkur IME, I think it's an effortless shaver. But to be fair, I've spent a lot of time with the 34, and the handle length, the balance, and the angle are all pretty much the same. I have a harder time switching out to what I would call the "standard" geometry found in many other razors. I have to pay extra care that I pick the handle up in order to get the blade on my face properly...

Yes YMMV..Many people love slants so they must be good. Maybe I just was not patient enough to study it. These are always YMMV things. For example I didn't like Muhle R41 at first but now after some time I really like it! Opinions can change :)

My 37C is in my weekly rotation and will stay that way for a long time. Its just so effortless to get a great shave with it. I sold my R41 after a month or so of use. I just found that I had to pay just a little too much attention to detail with it where my other razors are so much more forgiving if my thought process waivers at all during the shave...

After this morning, I've done a progression of blade alignments from the way stated in the OP, to this morning, I figured what the hey and loaded the blade about 6 kinds of wonky. It felt a bit toothier this morning, and one side of the razor notably more aggressive than the other. But it still gave a nice relatively mild shave. I'd say today it felt pretty close to the blade feel of the 34C on the more aggressive side. It still provided a smooth, worry-free shave. It still slid through my tough chin area effortlessly, it still didn't cut quite as close as I like. But again, that's a trade-off.

Based solely on how comfortable and effective it is in cutting my chin whiskers, if I were to sell off all but one of my razors, I think this might be the one I would keep. These last few shaves have left me feeling really smooth and comfortable for most of the day. Good stuff!

Reviving this old dead thread lol But it's my old dead thread so I can do that!

I've been rotating the 37C out with other standard-type OCs and solid bars (this is my only slant), and I'll say at this point, I may have employed a misnomer. It is by far my smoothest shaver. And because of that I tend to label it mild. But it's really a nice lower-end-of-medium-aggressive shaver, and very efficient at its work. The scallops on the top cap, I believe, help it to glide along much more effectively than a standard top cap. In short, it'll make your lather feel super-slick, even if it's really not.

For my face, I think this may be the ideal combination of blade rigidity, smoothness, and aggression. True, it's not my closest shaver. But I have never in my life applied a good splash of AV ice blue to a totally dry face after a shave and felt nary but a hint of a tingle. On a typical "good shave" for me, doing that causes a little bit of heat, but not anything uncomfortable. After 20 years of shaving, I've never encountered anything that shaves so comfortably at the same closeness.

I like it, it's a keeper! :thumbup:

Top Bottom