What's new

first handle attempt

I've been wanting to restore a handle for a while now, but I haven't been lucky enough to fine one.
Then the other day I found an old screwdriver with a broken tip that was headed for the trash. The handle was covered in paint and either grout or concrete.
I cut the end off with a hacksaw so it is about 1.5" long; sanded it down with 150 grit paper; flattened the top and bottom. (in it's current state below)
When I run it under water the scratches disappear and it looks nice. It leads me to believe it will polish up nicely with a high grit sandpaper.
Its a translucent amber color and smells funny to my nose so I think its cellulose acetate (CA).
The cross-section is a star/hex shape which I think is common for screwdrivers and is quite comfortable to hold.
It's only 24mm at the narrowest so I may be pushing if I drill for a 20mm knot. (I don't have a drill press so i think it will probably be the hardest part)

stay tuned...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you want to mail it to me I will drill it out for you on my drill press- I will check which size forstner bits would work.

Brilliant...I think that's going to be a very interesting project. It's amazing what can be used for brush handles once we put our imagination to work! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Why the he...

Wait! This is gonna be worth hanging around for! It looks like the cross section of a star fruit!

I had been considering doing this with a Craftsman Stubby handle, but can't figure how to get the bit out of the handle. I want to use a stubby handle so that I can use the whole thing.

I had been considering doing this with a Craftsman Stubby handle, but can't figure how to get the bit out of the handle. I want to use a stubby handle so that I can use the whole thing.

if you heat the shaft you can pull the thing out and should have the rite depth for you to set the knot after you enlarge the hole:}

Thanks for all the comments guys...

Well today I drilled it out at 13/16" (I don't have a 20mm bit). It drilled beautify.
The only problem is the rounded top started to melt and collapse after I removed the bit - kinda like hot wax. Ahhhh!!! I probably should have taken Jim up on his offer.
If anyone else tries this I would suggest going slowly and keeping a squirt bottle with cold water nearby to cool it down often. I looked up the manufacturer specs of this screwdriver and the handle is indeed (Tenite) cellulose. Boy does it stink when it gets hot!

So I had to cut the top off where it had melted and sand it flat again... Now its only roughly 1-1/8" total height. Wish I had cut it longer from the start – as it's easy enough to sand down to size in the end.
The hole is about 13/16" dia x 16mm deep. It is still comfortable to hold, feels solid and has a fair amount of weight.
I reason I started this is because I have a 20mm pure badger knot. But the knot just doesn't want to fit. I really need an extra millimeter or two in diameter but the sides are so thin I don't think I can get it. It would have been perfect with an 18mm knot (or smaller) – as a travel brush.
I may have to write this one off as a learning experience :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I seem to remember reading that some guys sand the bottom of the knot to make it fit in tight spaces. Also, don't forget the room the epoxy will take up. I'm very new to all of this so feel free to not follow my advice.

:)

Steve

Top Bottom