What's new

Just ordered my first expensive razor! (Timeless Ti68 SB)

In that regard, I can't recommend my most favorite aftershave balm more, for just that reason. And what is that aftershave you ask? Well, I am so glad you asked! 😁 Its none other, then Duke Cannon's Ice Cold Mentholated Aftershave Balm woohoo!

Bought some from Walgreens. I notice that it advises that it is "Not for Clowns".

Awaiting this mornings shave! After my shave yesterday, I left my face moist, not wet, same with my hands. I poured a generous amount of Ice Blue Aqua Velva into my palm and splashed it all over my face. OMG! What a FREEZE! Afterward I stepped out into the cold morning to complete the freeze...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Bought some from Walgreens. I notice that it advises that it is "Not for Clowns".

Awaiting this mornings shave! After my shave yesterday, I left my face moist, not wet, same with my hands. I poured a generous amount of Ice Blue Aqua Velva into my palm and splashed it all over my face. OMG! What a FREEZE! Afterward I stepped out into the cold morning to complete the freeze...

proxy.php
proxy.php

Your darn tootin right there my fine B&B friend, this aint for clowns, this is for serious wet shavers who believe in the traditional arts of wet shaving, and the feeling of feeling cool. 😎 But worry not, the menthol level in this is a 3 out of 10, so its not gonna kill ya. Just enough you can feel it, without going completely over the edge.

I tell ya what, if you really want to crank up that menthol level so high, maximum strength, find out what will kill me, and just back it off a little bit, then you can do that by adding some menthol crystals, and a menthol grinder to your shave den.

proxy.php

img_4346-jpg.1554173
img_4355-jpg.1554174

proxy.php

Then I assure you, you will indeed feel the freeze for sure.

Afterward I stepped out into the cold morning to complete the freeze...

Sounds heavenly! :blush:

I tell ya what, if you really want to crank up that menthol level so high, maximum strength, find out what will kill me, and just back it off a little bit, then you can do that by adding some menthol crystals, and a menthol grinder to your shave den.

proxy.php

img_4346-jpg.1554173
img_4355-jpg.1554174

proxy.php

Then I assure you, you will indeed feel the freeze for sure.

Now this is too funny for words! Doing this never occurred to me!

The generous amount of Aqua Velva that I put on yesterday was a complete freeze. I never put that much on straight before. It really wasn't all that much, it just was far less diluted. It never occurred to me that Aqua Velva could do such a freeze!

Just caught this thread and congratulations and I hope you are enjoying your Timeless Ti. My first expensive razor was also a Timeless Ti (a .95 OC and I added an SB later). It was the best money I ever spent. The best news is that I will never need to spend money like that (or anything even close) for another razor again. :)

Probably my favorite razor that I own is the Titanium Timeless.68 open comb, or well maybe it's the titanium Timeless.95 scalloped.
Both razors give me outstanding results. Great guys to deal with.
Hope you really enjoy it.
Graydog, I am on the fence to get an open comb next to my .95 scalloped. I think the 95OC might be a bit too much and I see that you have the exact combination I am pondering over, with the .68OC and .95SCB - how would you compare the two? You said both give outstanding shaves, so do they complement each other? Or is there not much difference?

And @Smurfsup66, I just stumbled upon this thread - I hope you are still enjoying that razor. I have a Timeless Ti95 scalloped baseplate and it is my number one razor. I just love its design.

Thanks for your insights,

Guido

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Between .95 scalloped and .95 open comb, if you can use the. 95 scalloped without issues, the .95 OC won't a problem either, but it will give a closer shave. Both are still only moderately aggresive.

I always would recommend the nicely done OC design by Timeless.
The more interesting question for you is if you rather want .68 OC or .95 OC. I would say .95, you have had more aggressive razors already.

Between .95 scalloped and .95 open comb, if you can use the. 95 scalloped without issues, the .95 OC won't a problem either, but it will give a closer shave. Both are still only moderately aggresive.

I always would recommend the nicely done OC design by Timeless.
The more interesting question for you is if you rather want .68 OC or .95 OC. I would say .95, you have had more aggressive razors already.
Thanks @Iridian - very helpful. It’s part OCD that I want to have the OC and SB versions of all my razors if there are such versions. One of the reasons why I think I ‘must’ have a R89 head somewhere in the future (although I have a KCG which is in a similar direction).

I hold your views and reviews in high esteem, so I guess I need to start saving for the 95OC.

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
One of the reasons why I think I ‘must’ have a R89 head somewhere in the future (although I have a KCG which is in a similar direction).
For what it is worth, I liked Merkur heads always better than the R89/DE89, the KCG reminded me more of a Merkur. One can injure oneself with a R89 much more easily than with a KCG or Merkur.

I already said it a lot, the R89 didn't do it for me - I got a R41 and boom, liked that one, even if it was considerably more demanding to use. The R89... naaa.

Better get a Timeless .95 OC plate. I have a tiny doubt that you might already find the .68 OC sufficient, but in general .95 OC all the way. Glad I got the Slim before, might have stopped with the .95 OC already. The Slim plate isn't for everyone and hard to recommend, I do recommend the .95 OC all the time.

This said, the L3 is a pretty spectacular Wunderbar inspired design...! :)
You made me buy it, now I recommend it you, haha...^^

For what it is worth, I liked Merkur heads always better than the R89/DE89, the KCG reminded me more of a Merkur. One can injure oneself with a R89 much more easily than with a KCG or Merkur.

I already said it a lot, the R89 didn't do it for me - I got a R41 and boom, liked that one, even if it was considerably more demanding to use. The R89... naaa.

Better get a Timeless .95 OC plate. I have a tiny doubt that you might already find the .68 OC sufficient, but in general .95 OC all the way. Glad I got the Slim before, might have stopped with the .95 OC already. The Slim plate isn't for everyone and hard to recommend, I do recommend the .95 OC all the time.

This said, the L3 is a pretty spectacular Wunderbar inspired design...! :)
You made me buy it, now I recommend it you, haha...^^
That was kind of my impression to with the DE89/Merkur comparison - I think the KCG serves my needs perfectly (and still delivers a decent shave of I use it with the right blade), which is I guess why I never put the 89 head in my cart. The R41 like you said was a revelation and except for the Timeless probably my most favoured razor (and if I could do it all over again I would advise myself to just get the SS straight away and stop buying other razors!).

The 95OC will be a bonus. I really like the scalloped baseplate and it gives me stellar shaves. The 95OC will bring the Timeless on par with the R41 I imagine (well for me that is). I have put it on the purchase list, and that is a patient list - sometimes money needs to be spend on other stuff as well (weird huh).

As for the L3 - I recall only pointing out that they had become available for the EU in a easy manner :closedeye:001_smile. Slanted? I don’t know - I shave slanted as it is, not sure what would be the step up for me. Ik haven’t pushed myself to a FOCS yet either. But I have to say from what I see and read Razorock has nailed it with this one.

Anyways, I will fondly be thinking of you when I press order now on a Titanium baseplate I do not ‘need’ but is so nice to have!

Looking forward to your further experiences with the Super Slant in other threads!

Cheers,

Guido

@Guido75 I own a Timeless Ti with both the .95 OC and a .95 SB and can share that you need not be concerned about the OC. I was using a 37c slant prior to my Timeless and actually the OC was the first plate I got with it and it shaved far better and more comfortably than the slant. I added the SB later and use the OC if I have 3+ days of growth otherwise it's the SB. Just yesterday I used the OC on 6 days of scruffiness of my old grey growth and it was a comfortable, close shave with not a single nick or weeper. Fear not. You'll be surprised at how comfortable it is.

Hey thanks @MHBru! I am a daily shaver myself so if I understand you correctly you only use the OC on multiple days of growth and not as a daily driver then?

Thanks again - insightful!

Guido

@Guido75 Yes.. exactly. I only use the OC for 3 or more days or growth (and day 3 is a toss up) 1, 2 and sometimes 3 days is the SB plate. For the most part I shave two or three times a week so both plates get used. I haven't been a daily shaver in years.

@Guido75 I own a Timeless Ti with both the .95 OC and a .95 SB and can share that you need not be concerned about the OC. I was using a 37c slant prior to my Timeless and actually the OC was the first plate I got with it and it shaved far better and more comfortably than the slant. I added the SB later and use the OC if I have 3+ days of growth otherwise it's the SB. Just yesterday I used the OC on 6 days of scruffiness of my old grey growth and it was a comfortable, close shave with not a single nick or weeper. Fear not. You'll be surprised at how comfortable it is.
I've been debating for a while between the 68 and the 95 OC... now you are making me debate between the 95 OC vs SB... damn, too many options!

I've been debating for a while between the 68 and the 95 OC... now you are making me debate between the 95 OC vs SB... damn, too many options!

Timeless have the option of a custom dual comb plate. Slightly more expensive, but worth considering if you’re unsure between OC vs SB…

@Chelko I went striaght to Timeless when I had the same question. I called them and they couldnt have been more helpful. I explained what I'd been using and what I was looking for and went with their recommendation. With their 30 day return policy there is no risk... and guess what? His advise was spot on! They were super friendly and helpful... and it made it a pleasure to do business with them. (or maybe it was email... it's been a few years now.. :) )

Worst shaves of my life, not even exaggerating. After all the raving reviews, I'm bewildered. I never thought I had "sensitive skin" before, but now I do. This razor has my face raw, yet still stubbly as all get out. I can't go over it anymore, my face needs to rest, so I just gave up and it's not even anywhere near as close as I got with the Merkur 34c, I'm just so confused.

I used a Feather Blade, and I applied pressure too. I couldn't get it to cut without putting some pressure on it. I'm not going to give up just yet - going to try a Derby Blade in it before I come to a verdict on this.

Part of me thinks I should've went for the larger gap, so it would actually cut my stubbles off - but if this is leaving me this raw, there's no way I could handle a more aggressive version of this.
Your experience is much like mine with Timeless razors. They are beautifully made and smooth shavers just not very efficient. The best one for me after trying them all is the Ti Slim with OC plate. Getting good shaves with this combo.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Graydog, I am on the fence to get an open comb next to my .95 scalloped. I think the 95OC might be a bit too much and I see that you have the exact combination I am pondering over, with the .68OC and .95SCB - how would you compare the two? You said both give outstanding shaves, so do they complement each other? Or is there not much difference?

And @Smurfsup66, I just stumbled upon this thread - I hope you are still enjoying that razor. I have a Timeless Ti95 scalloped baseplate and it is my number one razor. I just love its design.

Thanks for your insights,

Guido
I really enjoy both but I find the .68 oc a bit smoother and if I could only be able to keep one of them it would be the 68oc

Top Bottom