What's new

First Gillette SS Shave

Gents,

I recently picked up an almost mint condition 1953 Q4 Gillette Super Speed off of eBay, and had my first shave with it last night. Unbelieveable.

For some quick background, my first DE razor was a Merkur 23c, which I used occasionally over the past 9 months or so. I never felt like I got a passable shave with it, so 95% of the time I would just go back to my Fusion, since I was getting great shaves with it when combined with all the software and software-related techniques that I had acquired over the past year or so.

At the recommendation of members in this subforum, my brother picked up a 1948 SS and absolutely loved it. He told me it was completely different than the Merkur, and I should give DE shaving another try. I picked up the '53 SS and I have to agree that the shave is completely different than the questionable ones I was getting from the 23c. How is this possible???

Anyways, I'm now an SS convert, and I can see myself using this razor whenever I'm not rushing in the morning.

(as an added bonus, my dad was born in December 1953, so this razor will always have some special meaning in that regard)

Just wanted to thank the DE community for posting all of this great information. Keep it up.

I would also like to encourage any newbies that were a bit disillusioned by the entry-level Merkur 23c to pick up a vintage SS and keep at it. You'd be surprised at how remarkably different the shave is.

-H

I have a 1964 flared-tip SS. Really liked it though I prefer a longer handle and a bit more heft ordinarily.

Then I started experimenting with various blades. An Israeli Blue made me fall in love. :001_tt1: Sharks (both flavors) also worked better than I could have hoped. The hunt; that is the thrill
. :thumbup1:

Definitely a reliable choice in the lineup to have, and at a price that makes it hard to justify not having one available. Even as my first DE I have trouble believing it will ever leave my kit.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Super Speed is built like a tank, with a charming utilitarian design.
Nothing flashy here with scroll-work and curly-ques - nope - this is a razor for shaving. A working mans razor.
Some don't care for them, but the number of folks who praise them far outnumber those who don't.
I truly believe that the 1950's and 1960's style Super Speed shaves every bit as good as any DE razor available at any point in the time line or at any point in the price range.

Last edited:
Congrats on picking up what I, like many, feel is a fantastic razor. I have two and I can't imagine being without them. They are simply fantastic razors.

Agree with all positive comments posted above. I have a late 40's style Gillette superspeed. Well made, smooth shaving razor. You can still find plenty of these around, and affordable too.

Not a Super Speed, but I recently acquired a Fatboy, mostly because no one else was bidding on it. I'd been using older three-piece razors and had a bit of an attitude about Fatboys, I suspected it was over-hyped. Boy, was I wrong. It shaves amazingly well, the head is just the perfect shape to roll over contours.

So, now I'm looking at heavier Super Speeds - 1940's era Super Speed, or the Red Tip. There's the TTO Ranger was well, correct.

Not a Super Speed, but I recently acquired a Fatboy, mostly because no one else was bidding on it. I'd been using older three-piece razors and had a bit of an attitude about Fatboys, I suspected it was over-hyped. Boy, was I wrong. It shaves amazingly well, the head is just the perfect shape to roll over contours.

So, now I'm looking at heavier Super Speeds - 1940's era Super Speed, or the Red Tip. There's the TTO Ranger was well, correct.

Yes the Ranger was one of the early TTOs and later became the Super Speed. The 40s style Super Speeds and Milords are at the top of my Gillette list. I've been enjoying Milords this week and marvel after every great shave.

Love my '57 SS and just stated using a red tip SS.

Really love the TTO operation....easiest to change blades

The Super Speed is built like a tank, with a charming utilitarian design.
Nothing flashy here with scroll-work and curly-ques - nope - this is a razor for shaving. A working mans razor.
Some don't care for them, but the number of folks who praise them far outnumber those who don't.
I truly believe that the 1950's and 1960's style Super Speed shaves every bit as good as any DE razor available at any point in the time line or at any point in the price range.

+1

Top Bottom