What's new

First GEMs Clarification?

@cpool222 - Yes, I read Ron's post, took note of his illustrative image, and is precisely why I started with the 1924 and not my open comb Micromatic. I read and followed all advice since this is an entirely new shaving system to me.
Very wise on your part, the 1924 is a little more aggressive to me than the Featherweight or 1912 versions, but not nearly as aggressive as the open-comb Micromatic. That said, I like the OC Micromatic but have to remember to use the "shallow" angle as RonR shows. The best video I've found on the OC is Mr. Guy's youtube video here:

In case you have the inclination to expand your collection, many of us like the GEM Damaskeene as one of our favorites. Looks a lot like the regular 1912s, but the angle and a few other idiosyncrasies are a little different. I think that the shave is slightly smoother feeling and just as close a shave as others. ENJOY!!
(You have to be careful buying one on the bay however, as some people say they're selling you a DAMASKEENE but it's just a 1912 - for it to be a DAMASKEENE it has to say DAMASKEENE on the inside of the head)

I decided to purchase a bullet tip GEM since I wanted to see what a full bar would feel like and whether or not I could still get exceptional results with a little less total technique concentration breathing.

Maybe I'll try a Damaskeene marked razor at some point, but for the time being I'm dialing in my GEM vs DE selection.

At the end of this week I'll be down to:
GEM 1924 - ~1932 Micromatic Open Comb - ~1947 Micromatic Flying Wing (bullet tip) vs. Fatip Lo Storto Original - Razorock Superslant L3 with Muhle standard or Superknurl handles.

Last edited:
tried the flying wing bullet tip and really enjoyed it. i did have irritation but i think i over shaved beyond the Shave Secret’s protection.

nonetheless i think the bullet supersedes my micromatic open comb.

i’m glad to have tried the open comb, but i think it’s aggressiveness is overkill when i seldom grow anything resembling a beard.

I’m finding i like the feel of a closed comb bar on the face and have it act as a pivot point.

i’m especially enjoying my $11 Micromatic bullet :)

IMG_6197.jpeg

It and the 1912 are my favorites of the three GEMs I have tried.

I enjoy the feel of the bar and being able to use it as a pivot point to adjust the blade angle feels more comfortable than my open comb.

I had a better shave with it tonight using my MdC and really giving extra time to warm my face and develop a thick, slippery lather. Two passes and done.

I think the Micromatic Open Comb is on the chopping block.

Last edited:
i’m especially enjoying my $11 Micromatic bullet :)

View attachment 1644966

It and the 1912 are my favorites of the three GEMs I have tried.

I enjoy the feel of the bar and being able to use it as a pivot point to adjust the blade angle feels more comfortable than my open comb.

I had a better shave with it tonight using my MdC and really giving extra time to warm my face and develop a thick, slippery lather. Two passes and done.

I think the Micromatic Open Comb is on the chopping block.
And yours has the mystical Guiding Eye.

I bought my SE razors unintentionally, as part of a lot of razors on eBay. I bought the lot for the Gillettes, but wondered what to do with the GEM & Ever Ready razors. It wasn't until I saw how many SE fans there were that I decided to give them a try. Now I'm hooked! The GEM MMOC matches the smoothest shave I can get from any of my DE razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought my SE razors unintentionally, as part of a lot of razors on eBay. I bought the lot for the Gillettes, but wondered what to do with the GEM & Ever Ready razors. It wasn't until I saw how many SE fans there were that I decided to give them a try. Now I'm hooked! The GEM MMOC matches the smoothest shave I can get from any of my DE razors.
You should join us on Micromatic Monday or any day of the week on this thread. Just use any ASR razor than uses a Gem blade is all that is needed. Once mastered it is hard to beat the shaves they offer IMO. Star brand, Ever-ready & Gem where world leaders in first safety razors even before Gillette started his brand of razors.
Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/

The open comb was the first, the second model was the Clog-pruf introduced around 1941 and the final Micromatic was the closed comb Flying Wing introduced around 1947. Interesting that the Clog-pruf is the only one with the model name given to it by ASR actually stamped inside the frame.
You and Ron R really know your stuff. I have learned a lot from you both.

This may not be appropriate BUT I have questions about aggression as it relates to vintage SE’s.

Didn’t the Micromatic replace the Shovel head? Some say the Micromatic is more aggressive than the Shovel head. Your opinion?

I am a 1924 Shovel head user. It is the only razor I use. I like that it’s aggressive, smooth and easy to use.

I have heard it is on par with the R 41. What is your opinion?

Thank you for your time.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say the Micromatic line replaced the 1924 since they were sold under the Gem brand and the 1924 was branded as an Ever-Ready. Both names were produced under the ASR umbrella, kind of like General Motors makes Chevrolet, Buick etc. but I think the different brands were marketed for different customers, just like GM. If anything, the 1924 was “replaced” by the Ever-Ready version of the 1912 which came out in 1930.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You and Ron R really know your stuff. I have learned a lot from you both.

This may not be appropriate BUT I have questions about aggression as it relates to vintage SE’s.

Didn’t the Micromatic replace the Shovel head? Some say the Micromatic is more aggressive than the Shovel head. Your opinion?

I am a 1924 Shovel head user. It is the only razor I use. I like that it’s aggressive, smooth and easy to use.

I have heard it is on par with the R 41. What is your opinion?

Thank you for your time.
The 1924 shovel head is a fine razor & I enjoy using it also. If you like a little more aggression the Ever-ready 1914 is a excellent razor to consider also & has more audio feed back IMO. If your happy with your ER 1924 shovel head just keep using it is my advice. As for the R41 I do not own one because I have more aggressive DE razors than the R41. The older R41 razors where more aggressive than the modern ones is from my limited research. Lots of folks seem to enjoy the R41 razor. I find the Ever-ready streamline a more aggressive razor than the 1924 Shovel head because of the way they designed it(I seem to ride the bar at first to find my sweet spot angle) with the Streamline more for excellent results, it was a challenging razor to master.
Have some great shaves!

Gem razors are the best, the blade characteristics tend to make them all very efficient.

The clog pruf was my favorite for quite a while, I recently got a WR3 and the shaving experience is an upgrade but those old clog prufs put up a fight.

Top Bottom