What's new

Closest DE blade to GEM stainless coated?

I have a Yaqi Tachi head and handle on the way and I am wondering if anyone that uses GEM’s has used a half DE razor and found a blade that feels similar to the GEM coated blades?

I have never touched a DE razor nor half DE razor. I have recently begun using GEM razors at work since for me it is quicker than the straights I use at home.
I am trying to narrow down the blades I buy to figure this thing out.

I do not however mind having spare blades around since I give them to friends to try after I encourage them to begin wet shaving to help them get started and see what they like.

Last edited:
@Whiterook as you’ve now mentioned it, Since I have yet to use the thinner de blades ever, how much different should I expect the shave to feel just based on blade flex?

@Whiterook as you’ve now mentioned it, Since I have yet to use the thinner de blades ever, how much different should I expect the shave to feel just based on blade flex?
I don't know how much blade flex say a Timeless. 95 allows vs a Fatboy for example. I do know that a Gem blade feels different than a DE during shaving and the post shave feel is different.

I don't know how much blade flex say a Timeless. 95 allows vs a Fatboy for example. I do know that a Gem blade feels different than a DE during shaving and the post shave feel is different.
I certainly figured this out this morning. Shave was still smooth and comfortable but a persona SE IN GEM or Sabre is as stable and solid as can be. To me the half de seemed to have more feedback just as a thin hollow ground has more feedback than a straight with a heavier grind.

Top Bottom