What's new

First foray down the rabbit hole (or: I think I'm developing an AD)

Good [Morning|Afternoon|Evening] Gents! Got home from running some errands today, and found a nice smiling box sitting on my front porch. Inside was the first forays away from my "go to" blades and soaps since starting "proper" wet-shaving last year.

Before I go on, I apologize for lack of pics, camera was left on from the last pictures I took :blushing:. and the cell phone, well, it just doesn't do this stuff justice.

Picked up a "60 blades" sample pack of from AMZN, a tub of TOBS Sandalwood cream, and a 3-pack of Col. Conk bay rum soap (go-to favorite -- didn't realize how *BIG* the TOBS tubs actually were).

The sampler contained the following:
5x BiC Chrome Platinum
5x Derby Extra
5x Durablade (?) 7AM Plus
5x Astra
10x Treet Classic
10x Durablade (?) Sharp
10x Dorco ST300
10x Dorco ST301
??x Shark Super Chrome

(sorry to the guy who's short some blades)

I just put in a new blade on Sunday, so I'm still a few shaves from retiring the current blade ... will probably choose one of these new packs to shave with starting in a few days.

After smelling the TOBS cream, I'm kicking myself for not getting more (or a sandalwood scented AS). Before I go and ruin the tub, what's the best way to get it out for lathering?

I assume either:
1. dip the (lightly) moistened brush into the cream, to just get the tips of the bristles coated... maaaaaybe swirl around once or twice
2. take fingers, scoop out almond-sized amount,

Then, place in bottom of lathering mug, and go to town til one has frothy mug o shaving goodness?

Also ... I'm finding that I "need" to obtain more razors (DE and I'd love to get straight) as well as the consumables (and brushes and... ) ... is this what acute AD onset feels like?:001_cool:

With tub creams, I take a small amount of cream with a finger and place it on the brush. Seems easier than putting it into the bowl.

Hi again, Dan.

Yup, it's definitely a case of AD--looks like a pretty serious one, too. Better get a credit card transfusion ready, STAT!:lol:

As to your tub of cream, how you get it out is up to you. Some guys (myself included) just do a dip and twist. Others can't abide seeing a stray hair in their cream and use a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, finger, etc. to get some cream out. I was going to say "If you think you might want to sell the cream sometime down the line, it's a good selling point for some prospective buyers to not use a brush to load.", but then I remembered who I was talking to!

Long story short: do whatever floats your boat--it's your cream, you paid for it, use it however ya like!

Method 1 or method 2 both work. Regarding the AD. It's a foregone conclusion. Give in to it, relax and enjoy it. Sorry to be an enabler

Top Bottom