What's new

First DE shave in 20+ years

I guess it's been at least 20 years since i had a DE wet shave not sure why i went to the evil 2 then 3 then 4 blade razor complete with goop in a can but I did. Those things don't even give a decent shave and the peice of the blades is crazy.
After finding this forum a few days ago i started looking for old Gillettes in the local junk/Goodwill/antigue stores and finally I got lucky and found a razor in nice condition and it even had a new blade still wrapped up in the paper. It's a small Gillette brass razor with a comb and 1920 patent, Made in Canada and in very nice condition. It had the origional box with two of the previous owners names on it so I got a bit of history too. The name on the front of the box looks like Mrs E Gnuiters and on the back Segt C Poland. A Coy.
I also found a little blue bowl that I'm going to use for making that nice soapy lather.
This morning despite only having the new blade that came with it and no brush or shaving soap I decided to give it a try. I had to use normal soap made into a thin lather with my hands but it worked ok. No Issues with using the razor at all and not even a hint of a cut or nick. The final result was a smooth face and a big smile.
Verdict ... I like the head on the razor but the handle could be a little longer I have no intentions of getting another razor this one will do me fine for the moment. Looking forward to getting a real brush and soap.
So another convert to DE shaving and to make thing worse i have signed up for some mystery travelling box of shave stuff and became a contributor ... going to be a neat adventure :)

Welcome! I've recently returned to DE after 25+ years (nearly one month back in). It's good to be back isn't it?

My first few shaves were a bit 'tentative' to say the least, and I did get my fair share of razor-burn and a few nicks. I must say though, one thing I was sure of even after the first DE shave was the fact I wouldn't be going back to disposables or trendy junk. Once you get a real brush and some soap things will just get better...and better!!

Welcome aboard the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

I was very aware that i was holding a very sharp blde very close to my face and I guess I took my time and just enjoyed the experience, no rash, no burn & no blood yay for me.:applause:

Uncle Brian, its great of you to share your story with us. I personally enjoyed reading your thread very much. Welcome to B&B and I hope you find a nice brush and soap soon. It sure does improve the overall process!!

I have been shaving since late 1960 early 61 and had my first DE shave a little less than 2 years ago. Dad started me with a Schick injector then went to one of the Gillett Techmactics, electric, back to Schick, then Electric for 25+ years.

Now it's a mix of DE, Gem single edge, Schick injector, and some of the various antique types, Rolls, Darwins, WIlkinson 7 days and Kampfe.

I managed to find a Tobacco store that had a good English Boar bristle brush and some nice smelling soap so I got them, will have to get the blades online and I'm going for one of those packs that contain 6 or more different brands.
Really looking forward to tomorrows shave.

I have had a few good shaves over the years but it's never been something i have looked forward to with a multi blade razor and canned goop.
I do remember one great shave at Victoria Falls hunched over a basin while the falls roared in the background, that was DE as I remember :) Better than any background music.
Maybe we should start a great places to have a shave thread.

strop

Now half as wise
Welcome to B&B! I think you're another example that shaving with a DE is like riding a bicycle.:laugh: Once you learn how you never really forget. Those of us who were lucky enough (read old enough:lol::scared:) to have learned with a DE I think have a much easier time of it. After a couple of shaves it felt like I had that old ball end tech in my hand again. Why I ever went to the multibladed stuff I don't know.

Top Bottom