What's new

Firewood, Primers, Ammo, Subcompacts, etc...

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Just wondering...
Who are the prudent ones, folks who cut, gather &/or purchase their winter firewood in July or August or those who wait until December or January?

Please forgive me, but I have just as difficult time understanding people who have a difficult time understanding why, during times such as these, there is such a dearth of ammo & firearms??

It’s like folks who blindly drive past a series of orange Interstate signs that are SHOUTING: RIGHT THREE LANES CLOSED: 2-1/2-Miles AHEAD ... 2-Miles AHEAD ... 1-1/2-Miles AHEAD ... 1-Mile AHEAD & finally 1/2-Mile Ahead & wonder why they have to slam on their brakes (& horns) because they & 100 others cannot merge into the left lane some 2-1/4 miles after having passed that first orange sign.

It just boggles my mind...

Just wondering...
Who are the prudent ones, folks who cut, gather &/or purchase their winter firewood in July or August or those who wait until December or January?

Please forgive me, but I have just as difficult time understanding people who have a difficult time understanding why, during times such as these, there is such a dearth of ammo & firearms??

It’s like folks who blindly drive past a series of orange Interstate signs that are SHOUTING: RIGHT THREE LANES CLOSED: 2-1/2-Miles AHEAD ... 2-Miles AHEAD ... 1-1/2-Miles AHEAD ... 1-Mile AHEAD & finally 1/2-Mile Ahead & wonder why they have to slam on their brakes (& horns) because they & 100 others cannot merge into the left lane some 2-1/4 miles after having passed that first orange sign.

Those people raise my blood pressure. I’m determined to not let them in.

Just wondering...

I was wondering the same thing, lol. Not only a world wide medical pandemic but nationwide civil unrest in an election year. The toilet paper shortage should of clued a couple people into the ramifications of whats on the way. New shooters, I can understand but others have seen previews of this before.
Stack em deep and high.

5ADADF1B-EC77-45C9-A945-C81C0BC0D77A.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I read one wild west account where a native village was taken under surprise attack.

The one guy ran out and squatted near a fire with a ball mold and lead pot ...

Don't be that guy.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
But know how just in case.

As a fellow caster - and myself, a procrastinator - I felt his pain.

Well. Not literally. I have plenty of ammo.

Yeah. The primer shortage. The .22 and .380 shortages. Just keep X number of rounds and don't drop below.

Comes in handy, anyways. I did trade .38s for toilet paper a few months back ...

AA

I bought two guns in the early part of the pandemic, definitely not panic moves though. I had been reading a lot about the Sig P365, in particular the SAS model, so went by the local shop. They did not have that model, but the standard 365 with manual safety at a price $100 less than a XL model, so I took it home. While there I spied a nice Marlin 39a Mountie, and went back the next week and grabbed it. I had my Texas CCL so no background check .

As for ammo, I have a pretty good stock, especially for someone who does not get to the range very often. Last spring and early summer we had constant heavy rain and I know the range would have been a marsh, so put it off, and the wife has some medical problems, now undergoing cataract surgery, plus weather is now upper 90's and I hate to try and shoot with sweat running into my eyes, so it will probably be early to mid autumn before I get a range trip in. I did get one of the little laser cartridges and have been practicing with it a bit in my 365 which also has a laser sight. I can see how my striker activated cartridge "hits" in reference to the sight, a bout 1 1/2" above the sight dot, so am getting pretty good with it.

When .22LR got so expensive I simply quit purchasing until supplies came up and prices down then picked up about 3 more cases, same for 9mm. Everything else, my centerfire rifle cartridges I have a large stock of good to excellent brass, primer, powder and bullets. Usually if I get a new cartridge I will quickly shop and get from 500-1000 cases. When I started with the 6.5 Grendel, brass was so expensive and difficult to find I got a couple of thousand cases for 7.62x39 and sized down for fireforming. Difference in firedformed cases is primer size, the SAMI 6.5 Grendel uses small rifle primer, my formed cases use large rifle primers, no difference since I am not match shooting, and I probably have a couple of lifetimes of brass for those rifles, along with the factory brass I have since acquired

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have never been a big ammo hoarder. A few hundred rounds of each caliber I need and that is it. If the Zombie apocalypse comes I am hosed, normal defense usage I am fine for many years. If the shortage does not go away, I may not shoot off my carry rounds after a year like normal. :smile:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can tell you the second place I looked online had NO .38 Special ammo.

Not even CCI shotshells or tracers. Nada!

Worth noting, this a mom and pop defense caliber. Effectives use military.

Sign of the times. Bad times.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ordered 300 Starline nickle plated .38s ...tumbled another 300 ... loaded a hundred and prepped another hundred ... Going to have to fire up that lead pot soon!

AA

Top Bottom