What's new

Finishing kamisori - JNat or 0.1 diamond pasted balsa?

t
Yea, ATG is “the” test of a shave ready edge.

Get some magnification, even a 20x loupe or a 60/100 Carson Micro Bright, $15, and look straight down on the edge. If you see any bright reflections, those are micro chip or where the bevels are not meeting.

It is not uncommon for new stroppers to use excessive pressure, with paste improper technique is exacerbated.

If you have micro chipping or rolled edge, it is nothing that a finishing Jnat and Diamond slurry will not correct in 20-30 laps. Keep checking the edge looking straight down on the edge until no reflections are seen.

Below is an edge where bevels are “almost” meeting, note reflections. The second photo shows the same edge fully meeting, no reflections.

Sounds like your edge is pretty close.

View attachment 1605164View attachment 1605165
Thanks for the comprehensive response. Good point about the ATG test.

I’ve got a cheap illuminated 60x loupe that i used to assess the bevel scratch pattern when moving between stones - so I’ll definitely have a look straight-on at the edge.

Japanese natural by all means. Anything else is sacrilege. I jest, of course. I have just one Kamisori and I find honing it presents me with unique challenges, especially on natural stones. I finished it once on a diamond pasted strop and it was brutally keen and harsh too. Re-fin'd it on a japanese natural and it is a bit easier on the face, but not much. My shaving technique with it leaves something to be desired. Plus, I am a lefty and have a right-handed kami, so I use the omote side towards my face (or whatever it is called).

Japanese natural by all means. Anything else is sacrilege. I jest, of course. I have just one Kamisori and I find honing it presents me with unique challenges, especially on natural stones. I finished it once on a diamond pasted strop and it was brutally keen and harsh too. Re-fin'd it on a japanese natural and it is a bit easier on the face, but not much. My shaving technique with it leaves something to be desired. Plus, I am a lefty and have a right-handed kami, so I use the omote side towards my face (or whatever it is called).
the diamond/balsa is sacrilege indeed, but much cheaper too. Of course the jnat will last ages but the upfront cost is steep.

I seem to have fairly sensitive skin - so perhaps something smooth (jnat) would be preferable to the aggressive diamond finish?

A small size jnat kappa don't need to be that expensive. You don't need a big stone.
Stuff that will not be used is expensive. Quality diamond or cbn sprays can also add up, especially if you need to import the stuff.

"Plus, I am a lefty and have a right-handed kami, so I use the omote side towards my face (or whatever it is called)."

Sounds great! I think Ringo was the best drummer to ever hit the rock scene and he was a leftie playing a right-handed drum kit!

"Plus, I am a lefty and have a right-handed kami, so I use the omote side towards my face (or whatever it is called)."

Sounds great! I think Ringo was the best drummer to ever hit the rock scene and he was a leftie playing a right-handed drum kit!
I have heard him say in an interview that it made his style and sound unique. He is underrated as a drummer.

Top Bottom