What's new

Diamond pasted balsa is the real deal

I just got some balsa and acrylic for bases. @Chard52142 was nice enough to send me some diamond paste in .5um, .25um, and 0.1um alomng with some directions. rbscebu also gave me some advice. I took my already sharp Thiers Issard and stropped it just a few times going up the progressions. Then I stropped on clean leather. The shave was very nice! The razor didn't drag and it just wiped off the stubble. I am convinced!

You need a sharp razor to get a good shave.

I remember the first time I used diamond paste. It was amazing. The razor actually removed the hair on my face :).

I just recently put together my own diamond pasted balsa progression. After trying the 0.5um finnish, for the first time ever I had a shave according to the "wiping away the whiskers with the lather effortlessly" description. Up until then it alway pulled and skiped over the hairs. Shame I ruined that edge the next day when I wanted to try a 0.1um finnish...

I made the 3 strop series and followed the latest rbscebu instructions. Took 40 minutes to do the progression, but the result was quite sharp HHT wise. Haven't shave tested yet.

Shame I ruined that edge the next day when I wanted to try a 0.1um finnish...
What's wrong with the 0.1 edge?

I made the 3 strop series and followed the latest rbscebu instructions. Took 40 minutes to do the progression, but the result was quite sharp HHT wise. Haven't shave tested yet.

What's wrong with the 0.1 edge?
Congrats - remember to take it very slow. These edges love to punish.

With the edge - nothing. But with my honing there is plenty wrong. It was user error that ruined my edge. I either worked it too much or used too much pressure. With a few tries, all the razors off the 0.1 perform similarly for me.

Top Bottom