What's new

Finally a Henson razor I can love

I
One curious thing I noticed is I unwrapped my PAA Cube and set it on its tray Friday when it arrived. The next morning it looked like it was sweating. Is that normal because of the Menthol component in it? Seemed weird from when I first took it out of the plastic it was dry.
haven’t noticed that on mine

I just bought a PAA copper Ascension twist off the B&B BST marketplace about a month ago. If you find one, it’s a great razor and you will love it.

I’ve had the Ascension aluminum travel razor years ago and loved it and was always wanting the regular Ascension with the aqua blue baseplate but it was always out of stock.

Then they came out with the Ascension twist in the sexy gunmetal color and I bought that and love it.

Now I have the copper version and the same seller also has and sold me the original Ascension with the aqua blue baseplate I’ve always wanted. I really love open comb razors!!
I’m a little jealous….been looking for one of the aluminum ones for awhile, and on the email when in stock list as well, hopefully I can get one soon. This razor stuff is addictive 🤪

You know, when dynamite sweats, it is sweating out nitroglycerin and is highly unstable. It could blow at any time. Just sayin'.
One curious thing I noticed is I unwrapped my PAA Cube and set it on its tray Friday when it arrived. The next morning it looked like it was sweating. Is that normal because of the Menthol component in it? Seemed weird from when I first took it out of the plastic it was dry.
You know, when dynamite sweats, it is sweating out nitroglycerin and is highly unstable. It could blow at any time. Just sayin'.

I do not believe that Henson is trying to mislead anyone, or that they are making pre-meditated business decisions that have intent to drive up sales in a nefarious way. Have they made mistakes...yes. Were they intentionally profit driven...no. They are a new business in this field, and are learning from their mistakes and attempting to not repeat them. I believe Henson makes a quality product and markets them fairly with no intentional mis-information.
Please read this all the way through.
I was an early purchaser of a mild and medium Henson, and posted a very thorough review. I then contacted Henson and asked several questions which were posted in this forum, plus several of my own. My questions were of a technical nature, which brought up my personal background in design, manufacturing and operations in the aerospace industry. Early on, they informed me of their long term business plans. At that time, they had zero intentions to create an aggressive razor for anyone, but said that it was possible they may create a titanium razor at some time if they could figure out how to do it. By the way, the original titanium razor had 3 different metals and 6 different parts...4 of which required press fitting that was nearly impossible, based on the metals involved (and maintaining nominal tolerances). When I received my Ti22+++ (first batch), I could not believe my eyes, and was convinced that they were losing significant dollars on each razor, due to the labor/time involved to produce each article. For your information, IMHO, based on over 50 years in aerospace, there is no other razor manufacturer, including Gillette, that had the equipment and experience to produce those original Ti22 razors. Also, all Henson's are produced in an AS9100D/ISO9001 "aerospace certified" shop. I can ensure you that there is no other "razor manufacturer" on the planet (including China) that has that certification (unless Boeing, Northrop or SpaceX starts making razors). About 8 months later, they asked me to participate in testing one of several AL13+++ prototype heads they had created, to see if they could create one that would work with their head design, and if it could fit into their business model of converting cartridge shavers. After testing my prototype, I did not believe that it was in their best interest to market that version to new wet shavers. I suspect they received similar feedback from the other testers. The idea of an AL13+++ died at that time. The AL13+++ is not aggressive in the way of an R41, but it can bite someone who has never shaved with a safety razor. Prior to manufacturing the Ti22, Henson made the decision to release a +++ version. They assumed that only enthusiasts or collectors would spend $250 for a razor, and it was unlikely that a new cartridge shaver would consider a razor of that expense. Also, Henson wanted to see if a market even existed for that type of "costly" Henson razor. Many of us who wanted a +++, and a slightly heavier Henson, were not influenced by the cost...since most high end titanium razors are at and way above $250. Henson was able to placate some of us enthusiasts with the Ti22, but there were many more out there who wanted an AL13+++, and were vocal in the forums and on youtube.
Henson resisted until the Latherhog youtube interview. After a couple of months, they released a limited batch of AL13+++ razors to the Latherhog group. I suspect that they produced around 150 razors, and many who had shown interest backed out...leaving Henson with a couple of dozen unsold razors. Those are the ones which were picked up by those in this and other forums...until the web page was shut down. Shortly thereafter, Henson made the decision to sell the AL13+++ with online vendors, who are frequented by enthusiasts, collectors and those in the "shaving hobby". This was a decision that makes a lot of sense. People interested in Henson will most likely go to their website for information prior to making a purchase, and will not be exposed to the +++ aggressive model, since new wet shavers are way less likely to purchase a $250 razor to replace their $20 Harry's or Gillette Fusion.
Now to the subject of mixing heads and caps. Each aggression level does have a different cap that goes with the baseplate.
This is not Henson BS or hype they made up to sell more razors. Unless you can see .0001 or better with your eyes, you will not be able to see the difference. All parts of these razors are made to exacting measurements that can only be "seen" with specialized equipment. You can attempt to use a micrometer at home, but IMHO, you will not be taking the measurements in the correct place or in the correct way. The reason these razors have zero blade chatter, nearly 100% symmetrical blade gap and exposure...is because of the nearly perfect alignment of the cap and baseplate. If any of you see a smiling blade in a Henson, I suggest photographing it, posting it on a forum, and sending the razor back to Henson. The reason is that should be next to impossible if the razor was manufactured correctly...and made it through Henson QC. As a matter of fact, any razor less than "perfect" should be returned immediately. These parts are produced with 5 ten thousands of an inch accuracy (.0005) which you cannot see with your eyes. Mixing caps and baseplates is possible, but you are likely to lose the accuracy you paid for when you purchased the razor. If you cannot feel a difference when you shave, that is fine. I choose to preserve the integrity of the parts I purchased, and enjoy the results without messing with the design, "per the drawings". The reason you get a great shave with the Henson, is because of the incredible tolerances which are enabled from the manufacturing process. I can ensure you that the Yaqi Tile, Winner, and others who have copied the basic design architecture...all have much lower tolerances in their part fits. They will shave just fine, like any Merkur, vintage Gillette, Supply, Yates, etc....just not with 100% perfect fit and 100% zero blade chatter. I have 50 other razors that I use and enjoy (including my $4 Chinese Super Blue Gillette Tech) . None of them have the manufacturing tolerances of a Henson.
The partnership with RK razor blades was all about the fit of the blade in the Henson. Have you ever had a blade move around in a razor? You should never have that happen with any blade in a Henson, and it will never happen with an RK blade in a Henson. The Henson blade fit requirements are insane tolerance requirements, which no other razor manufacturer even cares about.
I love Henson razors because absolutely no one on the planet can produce them other than Henson. I have a true piece of engineering excellence, and I appreciate it with every shave. If you do not agree with me, that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But one thing that is not negotiable...is that the manufacturing tolerances of Henson razors is unequalled by no other manufacturer of DE/SE razors available today.
NOTE: I do not work for Henson or represent them in any way. These are my opinions based on many years of working as an aerospace engineer and understanding good design, manufacturing and engineering practices.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this! Henson razors are my daily drivers and I really appreciate engineering excellence!

88CD7DAE-9E45-4295-B65A-6A0B633CB364.jpeg

I currently own two Henson razors and when I received the +++ back in June I noticed that it felt different than any other Henson I've owned. The knurling is rougher and in blind tests that's the handle I always pick. For the last couple of weeks I've been using the medium (Jet Black) and I've been struggling with the grip, particularly when my hands are wet. I just switched handles and will give this a go on Friday. Kudos to Henson for improving their handles!

1663869566993.png

No, it was said that HENSON said that it couldn't be done. Nobody here ever said that it was "not possible".
I agree but I’m still shaking my head why Henson would state something not true. I shave with my mixed Hensons all the time. +++ plate with medium top cap

welp, stumbled upon this thread with no intention of ever buying a henson, ended up finding a remaining aggressive AL version and picked it up thanks to this post :letterk1:
so i do like the razor, it shaves extremely well; i am not a fan of how light it is though. for me, because of how light it is, it works for shaving short growth best. maybe ill post a more in depth review of my experience at some point.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yes, I tried to like the Henson for an everyday shaver. But trying to deal with that feather weight on my dense course beard.........................

proxy.php

So I got a PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable instead, and didn't look back since. Well, that is until I chased the RAD further this fall, when I bought a Blackland Osprey. Now I am souring the skies with the perfect weight balance.​

so i do like the razor, it shaves extremely well; i am not a fan of how light it is though. for me, because of how light it is, it works for shaving short growth best. maybe ill post a more in depth review of my experience at some point.

I prefer the +++ in Ti and the ++ in AL.
The logic is strange and I haven't tried to unpack it yet...decided to enjoy
the razors and not ask too many questions haha.

Tried the AL13 medium ++ which arrived yesterday. It’s a version 1. The version 2 ++ is considered slightly more aggressive than the version 1 according to a review on YouTube.

I enjoyed my shave very much with the version 1 medium. Yes it’s a little on the mild side and I get exactly the same shave with it as with my Merkur 34C. They are both razors you can throw around your face and get a close enough, satisfying and smooth shave from in 2 passes. The Henson might be slightly more efficient than the 34C but I’d guess that depends on the blade I was using at the time. I was using a Mühle stainless blade in the Henson ++ which came with my Rocca. The Müle Rocca is a lot more aggressive than the Henson and I wouldn’t throw that one around my face. 😂

Haven’t decided yet if I will keep the Henson. Need to try a Feather blade and others in it first.
Don’t mind the light aluminium weight at all.

I wonder how people will be talking about the Henson in say, 50 years time…when it becomes a Vintage razor?😊

Thanks everyone. Have a great shave today. 👍

View attachment 1504700

I used a Henson +++ today, the forth shave with it. Using a Wizamet Super Iridium, I did a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) and got a good shave. With a bit of buffing, the results were very, very good. Six hours later, my face feels like I just shaved.
I haven't used the Henson mild or medium since I got the +++, because the +++ eclipses the others. To me the +++ is a mild razor but is way more efficient than the mild or medium. It's the best of both worlds; easy on the skin and efficient at the same time.
I get a great shave also from my Medium Al-13, and it lasts at least 9 hours plus. I'm so happy with these results I'll probably pass on the +++ model for the time being. I have plenty of other aggressive razors if I wanted an aggressive shave. My guess is that the more aggressive the razor/blade combo, the more skin is removed and hence more irritation/razor burn resulting. Happy to hear the Henson +++ seems to give best of both worlds!

The Henson really is the last razor I’ll truly ever need. Even with the mild version I can get a 12+ hour BBS shave on my head with practically zero irritation. I can safely say that no other razor can do that for me. Either I don’t get a long lasting BBS shave or it comes with at least a decent amount of irritation. One or the other but never both, until now.

Thanks, I appreciate this! I'll have a look. Seems we are in a bit of a light razor renaissance :)
I use the Henson the same way I use my Muhle 2011 R41, the so called Beast. The light weight of the Henson makes it easy not to exert much pressure. When the angle is correct, the Henson feels like it is vacuuming your face rather than shaving. Just my impression with the razor so far. Light weight Henson delivers a comfortable, close, non irritating shave IMO. Even though I have several stainless steel handles, I'm not even tempted to try one out with my Henson. I am going to try a shim with my medium Henson, just to see if it really makes any difference in the shave quality.

Last edited:
The Al +++, still chokes on 3 day head or face growth for me.....big disappointment. It will work OK up to 2 days growth, probably best for daily use; BUT now I like to shave max 2/week, so it was demoted to a drawer.......

I’m surprised to see someone say this. I just got my +++ this week and was able to use it for a head shave Thursday night. Four days of growth went down like it was nothing for me, and I have a ton of thick hair….not even the start of a receding hairline.

Which blade did you use? I used an Astra SP and it did great.

I use the Henson the same way I use my Muhle 2011 R41, the so called Beast. The light weight of the Henson makes it easy not to exert much pressure. When the angle is correct, the Henson feels like it is vacuuming your face rather than shaving. Just my impression with the razor so far. Light weight Henson delivers a comfortable, close, non irritating shave IMO. Even though I have several stainless steel handles, I'm not even tempted to try one out with my Henson. I am going to try a shim with my medium Henson, just to see if it really makes any difference in the shave quality.
I think light weight and aggression are a nice, old-school pairing.

The Al +++, still chokes on 3 day head or face growth for me.....big disappointment. It will work OK up to 2 days growth, probably best for daily use; BUT now I like to shave max 2/week, so it was demoted to a drawer.......
Maybe try a shim in your Henson. I did with my Medium and I did get a more efficient shave, according to my alum block, with no noticeable change in shave comfort. Maybe a little more blade feel during the shave, to be expected I guess, but no noticeable blade chatter. That Henson design is pretty optimized I guess. Even my trouble area around the neck was suitably addressed to my astonishment. Would I do the shimming for everyday shaving? No, since the normal performance of the Henson ++ is a little more comfortable, and the BBS lasts at least 9 hours for me which is great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom