What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

There's no "mostly" to a Fixed Four. One brush (not a group of brushes most of which are 26 mm synthetics). Even if you have two 100% identical brushes the Fixed only allows you to use one of them.

Believe me, I've tried all sorts of ways to get around the rules.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Point taken :)

Its the first time I'll be committing to a setup beyond a single shave in all my years of wetshaving. My anxiety is kicking in at the thought of being so committed :p

I'll lock it to a Razorock monster 26mm plissoft synthetic brush. It can do with a straight month of Tabac love !

Shave soap: Tabac ceramic jar
Brush : Razorock Monster 26 mm plissoft synthetic.
Razor : Pearl Flexi adjustable V2
Blade : Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon pack

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here's my FFFMM line up. The Blade is loaded and ready to go. There's no backing out of any of it now. No substitutes allowed. Besides Proraso is magic. I always have great results with it. I can't even say the same for MdC.

Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo/New Gillette Platinum
025_18.jpg

Omega Evo Ovale (Best Brush in the Universe)
009_15.jpg

Proraso Green (Tub)
007_15.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's my FFFMM line up. The Blade is loaded and ready to go. There's no backing out of any of it now. No substitutes allowed. Besides Proraso is magic. I always have great results with it. I can't even say the same for MdC.

Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo/New Gillette Platinum
View attachment 1229324

Omega Evo Ovale (Best Brush in the Universe)

Proraso Green (Tub)

Why are you calling the FOCS a Piccolo?

1614457958367.png

6-4-20.ABC.Manchurian.FatipSlant.480.JPG

1-12-21.NewGold.Fatip.640..JPG

My guess would be that you've messed up and put a Piccolo handle on the FOCS, thus taking one of the world's greatest razors down a notch or two. That's none of my business, even though I care about you enough to point out the obvious insanity. What I don't get is how the handle of your razor clearly (in the photos) has the FOCS twist, albeit perhaps not to the degree I see the twisted handle lines in my chrome and gold FOSC razors (which are not modified, but, instead, are perfect, just the way Mr. Fatip designed them.

This is a serious question.

I could walk across the room and grab my Piccolo (maybe I could find it) but I'm resting up from shaving, gathering enough energy to go to the lazy river and exercise, and busy avoiding someone I don't want to deal with today (but will probably have to).

Of course, I'm also pondering whether to do the Fixed, and, if so, with what kit? That's always a challenge in my experience, but it's gotten worse over time instead of better.

Ah, the problems of those of us wrestling with razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So here's my four, now fixed.

The new brush handle won't be ready (had run out of PU finish and not realized), so my trusty old segmented beauty gets the job.

Razor: Ds Cosmetics T7, KVT handle
Blades: Treet DuraSharp (Blue)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Oumo synthetic on my own DIY handle (Wenge and Tulipwood, hence the shape being vaguely Tulip-ish at the top 🤣)

The razor will be nice to get intimately acquainted with, being very used to my Mamba's (53 & 70) already; I'm also going to push the blades as far as they'll reasonably go (I've pushed some blades to 20+ before but never a Carbon so will be interesting to see what it'll allow - 2 bad shaves in a row will see it replaced with another the same). MWF is the soap I've always used most, it gets me great results with this brush so those elements are uninteresting but entirely reliable.

20210227_222014.jpg

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Why are you calling the FOCS a Piccolo?

My guess would be that you've messed up and put a Piccolo handle on the FOCS, thus taking one of the world's greatest razors down a notch or two. That's none of my business, even though I care about you enough to point out the obvious insanity. What I don't get is how the handle of your razor clearly (in the photos) has the FOCS twist, albeit perhaps not to the degree I see the twisted handle lines in my chrome and gold FOSC razors (which are not modified, but, instead, are perfect, just the way Mr. Fatip designed them.

This is a serious question.

I could walk across the room and grab my Piccolo (maybe I could find it) but I'm resting up from shaving, gathering enough energy to go to the lazy river and exercise, and busy avoiding someone I don't want to deal with today (but will probably have to).

Of course, I'm also pondering whether to do the Fixed, and, if so, with what kit? That's always a challenge in my experience, but it's gotten worse over time instead of better.

Ah, the problems of those of us wrestling with razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Rumour has it Fatip decided to perfect the FOCS by coming out with a Piccolo version. If that's not it, somebody took Al's advice and ran one over in the driveway. Either way it's shaving perfection.

So out of interest (being new around here) are there challenges like this for most months?

I see the February one-blade challenge (which I saw far too late), then this is obviously March... Is there an April version too? (Absolute Abstention from Altering Absolutely Anything in April, perhaps? 🤯)

So out of interest (being new around here) are there challenges like this for most months?

I see the February one-blade challenge (which I saw far too late), then this is obviously March... Is there an April version too? (Absolute Abstention from Altering Absolutely Anything in April, perhaps? 🤯)
I was thinking we could do April Fools, where you are required to select the most godawful combination of shave stuff possible and use it for the entire month. People compete for the worst choices in their shaving gear.
:laugh:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

It's just what somebody dreams up, creates the rules for, decides to do, and cons their friends and assorted interested members into doing. In September there are at least two competing (well, not really competing) groups. In some months there may be none, but if there were a popular razor called the Junebug you can be sure you'd have a "June-bugs Love June" group.

Some month long group shaving endeavors are significantly less challenging than the Fixed Four. Less helpful, too, I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was thinking we could do April Fools, where you are required to select the most godawful combination of shave stuff possible and use it for the entire month. People compete for the worst choices in their shaving gear.
:laugh:

The problem is, I don't keep things I hate, so it'd probably still be a pleasure 🤣

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How about this: April Showers Shaving.

Only one rule: You can only shave in the shower. The shower can be in the shave den, an enclosed outdoor shower, or outdoors in the garden. Rain counts as a shower, but so does the sprinkler. Bonus points for shaving naked in the front yard (or garden), but only if you get arrested or shot at by the neighbors, and only if you were naked while shaving in the rain or sprinkler. Extra bonus points for shaving naked in the neighbor's sprinkler.

I'm not in.

Top Bottom