What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four for March Madness) 2019 Edition

1. Do you want to play a shaving game?

2. Do you want to dial a particular piece of hardware or software in?

3. Are you on a restraint?

If you answered YES to any of the above, “Fixed Four” may be for you.

IT’S SIMPLE (Rule 1)

You just pick one BRUSH, one SOAP/CREAM, one RAZOR, and one BLADE*.
And you use ONLY those four for the whole month.

*With blades, if you chose say “Astra SP” you would stick to that blade, but use as many of them as you see fit.

That’s the end of Rule 1. Rule 1 is the only rule.

For an example, this was my choice for FFFMM 2018:
upload_2019-2-10_13-31-58.png

Brush: Shavemac D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Fatip Tortoise
Blade: Polsilver SI

Pre and Post Shave stuff isn’t included, so you can do exactly as you please in that area.

You can shave as often or as little as you like.

Typically you’d post saying “I’m in” and telling us your Fixed Four, but you don’t need to.

You can post every day to tell us how you’re getting on (we like that, and we like pics). You can also join us Fixed Fourers without making a single post (it’s entirely YOUR CHOICE).

If you post your Fixed Four during February, then find out that you’d like to change it… that’s fine. Just let us know the changes before your first shave in March.

Let the madness begin.
upload_2018-2-14_20-40-21-png.860404

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That time of year again...

One soap? One?

I'll have to think about that lol. I do know however, it will not be Tabac!

Razor, blade and brush is easy.

Yes, yes and yes!!!

Connaught Jade Omega boar
Gillette 7 o’clock black
Flare tip
Tabac

I’ll try and take some sexy pics later....
Of my shave gear obviously.

ALL RAZOR TYPES ARE WELCOME :001_cool:

Cartridge
Single Edge
Double Edge
Straight Razor
Axe
etc

:001_smile

I'm in. This is today - I don't expect changes till the end of March.
That's great. :thumbsup:

Remember we'd like a written list too, as in:
Brush: ?
Soap/Cream: ?
Razor: ?
Blade: ?

So that everyone knows what you're using (especially handy for any newbies). :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm in...ish. My "month" might start late though.

I'm about to start a new soap sample, and don't know how long it will last. It might tumble over into March. If it does, I'll switch soap for a month once the sample is finished, so the soap month might be slightly offset to the other three :letterk1:

Brush:
Easy. I only tend to use one at home. Omega 10051 boar.

Razor:
Also easy. I'll be sticking to my primary razor, an Edwin Jagger DE3D14

Blade:
New blade for me. Gillette Platinum. The fixed four seem a good time to try out this revered blade.

Soap: To be confirmed. As I mentioned above, my Pre de Provence sample might cross the threshold of the month, and how I get on with it, could influence what I move onto next. I'll advise when I decide :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Um, I'll think about it.

I've done a couple of Fixed Fours and know how valuable they are. I also know how hard they are.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I cannot fathom the attraction nor desire to even attempt such a feat. Do something that detracts from my enjoyment for fun?!?!? Sounds contra goals to me.

But good luck at for everyone!

Yikes. Okay, maybe this is worth a shot. I just got my first Gem razor and it'll be in the drawer for all of one-blade February, so let's see if we can get the hang of using it by spring.

Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger medium, which is the only brush I use anyway
Soap/Cream: VDH Luxury, which just never fails to give a good lather
Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying Wing (with a big ol' dent in the top....)
Blade: Gem coated stainless single edge, as bought at Walgreens.

I'm in! I've been looking forward to this.

Brush: Omega 13564
Soap: Cella
Razor: CJB GR-100B
Blade: Dorco BB-20

I bought the brush, razor, and blades during a Black Friday 2018 splurge. I haven't used any of them more than 3 times since I received them. The month of March will give me a chance to decide if I like them enough to keep them.

I used Cella for the first time today and really enjoyed it. I don't think I'll have a problem using it for the month of March. My original soap choice was Arko, but I've used it quite often in the past year and want to try something new.

I'm in! I will use the same setup as now in the one blade February.

Brush:
Semugue badger owners club
Soap: BodyShop Macca root
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword German

:laugh: :yesnod:

That's often caused by having partially (or complete) unknowns in the kit. What about choosing four that you like and are reasonably familiar with... but including one (or more) that you're keen to improve your technique on?

This will be on my radar.

A lot to think about ahead of time. The point you bring up above is key. Do I choose a known top-tier kit? Or do I choose that brush that’s been used three times but is giving me trouble. That soap I haven’t used in a long time that could turn into a favorite with enough time?

Top Bottom