What's new

Fewer days or fewer passes?

Fewer passes for sure. I generally do one wtg, one xtg, and one more xtg on my chin. Atg in my lower lip actually now that I think of it.

With my injector though I can, and sort of need to, extend that last xtg to my cheeks as well with 0 irritation.

I'd say it depends on how your face feels and what is considered acceptable appearance for you. My face feels fine after doing 3 passes (though I'm still working on getting a good smooth shave on my neck). At my office and for me personally, I can take a day off from shaving. Sometimes I may even take 2-3 days off. It allows me to take my time when I do shave, because it's spread out a bit more.

I'm in a similar situation. If I take 2 days off from shaving I can take my time and get a much closer shave. I'd like to get to the point where I can shave every day (even if it is one WTG pass) but I'm not there yet. Although I did do a "quick and dirty" one pass WTG shave with some pre-shave oil and Barbasol this morning, and it's a SAS and completely acceptable for my office.

The most I do is a 3 pass shave w/ some touch ups (WTG/XTG/ATG). I don't go ATG on the lower half of my neck or adam's apple as my skin won't tolerate it so that's more of a WTG/XTG/WTG. I'm gonna try two WTG/XTG and see how that works. I shave pretty much everyday except for skipping the occasional Saturday.

I opted for shaving every other day (with a two day break on weekends). I get a really nice shave on day 1 and then there isn't really much to shave off by the start of day 2. This helps my neck tremendously and I am fortunate my beard / work combo do not require me to shave everyday.

The downside to this is I only shave 3 days a week and it takes a long time to use up software... maybe I should try fewer passes more often.

I had a really rough shave the other day, which led me to take a couple of days off from shaving to let my very irritated neck recover! My ATG techniques still needs lots of work to get right :(

I'm now wondering what would be better for your skin and reducing irritation for those of us who struggle...

All other things being equal:

a) Doing, say, a really close 3-pass shave every other day in order to give the skin a "day off" between shaves

b) Doing a simple 1-pass WTG shave every day

Which would be best?

I think with a good 3-pass shave I'd look presentable enough on the second day, but probably not as good as a quick 1-pass every morning.

Would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences.

Cheers,
aytri

In my opinion, all things being equal, best option would be :

c) Fewer strokes.

I believe the number of passes to be less important than the number of strokes. Considering that the number of strokes men use to shave varies from 30 (low) to 700 (high), this is something you should pay attention to if reducing irritation is your goal.

Your only options a) and b) exclude the two-pass shave that could be the answer to your question. It could also be a compromise between one-pass and a three-pass shave.

My opinion.

As they say YMMV. And it's the beauty of shaving. You could shave with three passes every other day or have a single pass every day. Plenty of gents here shave every other day (maybe you'll sVe money by using less product :) )

I think follow what your skin tells you and you will find the optimal balance.

Top Bottom