What's new

Female Newbie Journal: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

Well, you certainly did jump in with both feet! Although, I'll have to agree you shouldn't buy another razor right now, your balance is all off. You really should have 10-15 different soaps for each razor you have. So better load up on those! ;)

Figuring out which razors and blades work best for you is pretty standard and, as I'm sure you've seen, if the irritation persists you can get tons of recommendations of things to try here. But if you're not feeling well, my first thought is once you're back up to speed and rested I bet things are more enjoyable and the results might even be better because you can concentrate.
Oh, no, no, no.no. no! I am not buying that much soap/cream. I have more on the way.

I would suggest to pick the razor that feels best to you now and stick with it a while until you learn how several different blades feel in it. You'll get a sense of the blades as well. Unless it's just terrible, use the same blade for a decent period of time so you get a sense of how it changes over time. The same blade may not be your choice in all the razors, so there's no reason to push for that. The same blade may not be your choice in the same razor on a given day once you get the feeling for them as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I would suggest to pick the razor that feels best to you now and stick with it a while until you learn how several different blades feel in it. You'll get a sense of the blades as well. Unless it's just terrible, use the same blade for a decent period of time so you get a sense of how it changes over time. The same blade may not be your choice in all the razors, so there's no reason to push for that. The same blade may not be your choice in the same razor on a given day once you get the feeling for them as well.

I'm going to suggest much the same thing.

Pick the razor you like the best. I'd suggest the most rigid, but I don't know your razors well enough to know which that is. Stick with that one razor, and only that one razor, for a long period of time (ideally, at least a month, or longer).

As quickly as possible find a blade which is "good enough" in that razor. This does not mean the blade has to be the best, just acceptable, and okay. Pick one that is sharp, and smooth, and has good reviews. Maybe try a Nacet, or a Russian Gillette Green (the box is green), or a Polsilver. YMMV, especially on blades, but you're seeking a good balance, a good combination, of smoothness and sharpness.

Stick with that combination, and with your best soap, and with your best brush. Vary nothing.

There will then be two options.
  1. You will learn to shave with that kit.
  2. You will decide the kit you've picked is not workable; it is impossible to learn to shave with it.
Your goal is a close, long lasting, smooth, comfortable shave. Comfortable must be the top of the list goal.

If you decide one option two, change only one of the four variables. Repeat the process.

Once you're good at using this set up you will have one good kit. From there it is easy to branch out.

What everybody does is the opposite. Constantly changing variables teaches us nothing. Once we know how to shave it becomes another matter because we have a good kit, a knowledge of how to use the kit, and a standard for what is a "good enough" shave. We can then seek a better shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've been working on it a while, and writing about it, and I've had a lot of help. You'll see how much if you look at the thread for a half a minute.

Here's my report on today's shave. Link here. Just to show how good it can be.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yours is quite nicely done, for sure.
Realized with the Plasti Dip coating, it won't fit in my QShave stand, so will cut off at the bottom and peel to fit. Exacto Blade, here I come!
I'll do a shave tonight and see if it is too thick.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I agree with sticking with at least the same razor while you try various blades. Keep track of the ones you like and why. If you dont like a blade, put it away and try it again a month or so later.

As your technique improves, you may find that something you didnt like before, works much better now.

Once you've gone though the blades in one razor, use the same ones again in the next razor. Chances are, the blades you like in one, you'll also like in others, but razors are individuals too.

I've used 20 different blades in 6 different razors. My best blades are the best in all of my razors for me. The worst blades the same. They dont work for me in any.

The idea is sticking with one and learning it. That can take time. Just remember that when you do change razors, to be careful the first shave or two because it will be different and you'll need to adapt to it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Curious what are your three top blades and why? Love the feedback. keep it coming :). You guys are great!

I dont shave in the typical fashion. I shave directly ATG first pass and I only need 2 passes if the blade wont let me do it one. For that type of shave I have two blades let me have it, Polsilver and Gillette Yellow.

For a more traditional 3 pass shave, Polsilver, Gillette Yellow, Derby Extra, Gillette Black, Perma-Sharp Super, Astra SS, Astra SP, Rapira Platinum Lux, Lord Platinum and maybe a couple others I cant remember lol.

Those blades work well in all my razors, but my razors have their favorite blades too.

From mild to wild:

T1 (1971) Lady Gillette - Gillette Yellow

Gillette Tech - Gillette Yellow

D2 (1958) Gillette SS - Gillette Yellow/Polsilver

Gillette NEW SC - Polsilver/Blue Diamond Titanium. In that razor I cant tell those two blades apart and the Blue Diamond is around half the cost.

1940 Gillette Regent - Perma-Sharp Super, and if I'm feeling like living on the edge, Polsilver. That razor with a Polsilver gave me my longest BBS shave at 23 hours.

Fatip Grande - Polsilver/Gillette Yellow. I only shave ATG with that razor and only use those two blades in it now.

Edit to add: SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium.

Thanks to everyone for those suggestions! The consensus is stick with one razor and soap and brush to try each blade.
I chose my QShave (Futur clone) because I think an adjustable will allow me to zero in on my settings with each blade.
I chose the Dorco ST-301 for my first blade from this sampler. The soap I chose is D.R. Harris Marlborough. The brush I will use is my Simogue 1305 boar so that I can further break it in.
I will do a bowl lather, as loading and then lathering directly on my leg (etc) is a little rough on me using natural hair brushes.
I'm a night owl so will start tonight. My body clock is all messed up with some insomnia and weird sleep pattern fighting the flu and cold.

First Test of the Dorco ST-301: As mentioned above I chose the QShave Razor for adjustability and D.R. Harris
Marlborough shave soap.

Pre-Shave Neutrogena Glycerin Facial Bar.
The soap loaded very easily with great peaks on a bowl lathering. Took easily to water needed to be added.
Immediately I fell in love with the scent, a wonderful cedar, sandalwood and ferny woody smell with aromatics of jasmine and lily. AS I write this I can still smell it wafting from my bathroom.

I am breaking in my Simogue 1305 and was afraid to do a load and lather right on my leg, so I did a bowl lather. The brush is breaking in nicely and has softened up. I had done about 5 palm lathers with 10-minute rub outs after cleaning rather than actually on my body. But when I applied the bowl lather to my legs, I found it wasn't scritchy or harsh at all. I can only imagine how it will be after 10 more shaves.

First pass I had the razor set on 3 but changed it immediately to a 2. I ran the razor up my leg and second pass down my leg. The soap had plenty of glide. I changed the razor setting to 1 and finished with a touch up by going across the grain just for ****s and giggles even though it didn't need it. Between passes, I had to load a little more soap. Women's skin is so different than men's so after the first pass the lather kind of slides along without a real thick layer laid down, but there was plenty of protection there.

As I've mentioned, I shave my arms too. I used the Neutrogena Glycerin bar and thought, why not just use it as my lather. It's a quality soap and glad I did it. The blade just slid easily. From now on, I'll continue to do that.

Followed up with the usual post-shave of witch hazel, Pinaud Clubman Aftershave, and Nivea Sensitive after-shave balm.

As to the blade...It is above the quality of the Derby blades I got in a razor kit. It was smooth and no knicks or weepers. I'm happy with my first use of this Dorco ST-301.

P.S. I got that M.D. Harris on ebay. It was a two pack of the 100g pucks. The other one was Harris Natural (unscented) I offered him $15 and he took the offer. Given what I've seen this premier soap selling for, it was a steal IMHO.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks to everyone for those suggestions! The consensus is stick with one razor and soap and brush to try each blade.

proxy.php

Well, yes and no. Mostly yes!

Stick with one razor, one soap, one brush until you find a blade that's "good enough."

Then, change nothing for a long time (at least a month, until you've learned to shave with the kit you have or decided it is a hopeless kit).

There are literally hundreds of blades to try. Finding the perfect blade puts you in the position of starting over and starting over and starting over (think Ground Hog Day) looking for the Holy Grail.

A good enough blade is a lot easier to find than the best blade. Like a million times easier.

The consensus is to find a good enough kit (razor, blade, brush, soap) and learn to shave with that kit, if that is possible, and to change variables one at a time as infrequently as possible.

Once you learn to shave well enough the game changes. Then, you can find the perfect blade, and play with soaps and brushes and other razors.

proxy.php

I am going to pay you a complement if I may. Unlike most of us men, you are listening to and following directions. That should enable you to avoid becoming lost. You obviously have a gene we're missing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Probably not the wisest thing for me to question how a woman shaves, but guys aren't that bright anyway. You mentioned you shave up your leg and then back down. I'm guessing that's likely ATG and then a WTG pass. Most multipass shaving is done with WTG first and ATG later. Is this something you've done both ways and found this results in the most comfortable shave?

proxy.php

Well, yes and no. Mostly yes!

Stick with one razor, one soap, one brush until you find a blade that's "good enough."

Then, change nothing for a long time (at least a month, until you've learned to shave with the kit you have or decided it is a hopeless kit).

There are literally hundreds of blades to try. Finding the perfect blade puts you in the position of starting over and starting over and starting over (think Ground Hog Day) looking for the Holy Grail.

A good enough blade is a lot easier to find than the best blade. Like a million times easier.

The consensus is to find a good enough kit (razor, blade, brush, soap) and learn to shave with that kit, if that is possible, and to change variables one at a time as infrequently as possible.

Once you learn to shave well enough the game changes. Then, you can find the perfect blade, and play with soaps and brushes and other razors.

proxy.php

I am going to pay you a complement if I may. Unlike most of us men, you are listening to and following directions. That should enable you to avoid becoming lost. You obviously have a gene we're missing.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I think of it more like taking in and processing information received rather than taking directions. Taking directions sounds like a husband saying, make me a sammich. :)

Last edited:
Probably not the wisest thing for me to question how a woman shaves, but guys aren't that bright anyway. You mentioned you shave up your leg and then back down. I'm guessing that's likely ATG and then a WTG pass. Most multipass shaving is done with WTG first and ATG later. Is this something you've done both ways and found this results in the most comfortable shave?
I do it that way because I want to knock down as much as I can on the first pass. Most times I can get away with one pass and a cleanup pass, but I enjoy the pampering process. I think the majority of women start with the up the leg pass (that includes the cartridge users). I am fair skinned and I don't have coarse hair on my legs and arms.

RABBIT HOLE MAIL 2/7/18:

The Merkur 34C, Mike's Natural Soaps in Lime and an Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper, 2 sampler packs of soaps and creams from WCS. The Shave Dew is from my subscription from The Dollar Shave Club I am canceling.
SHAVE MAIL  2   7 18.JPG

First Test of the Dorco ST-301: As mentioned above I chose the QShave Razor for adjustability and D.R. Harris
Marlborough shave soap.

Pre-Shave Neutrogena Glycerin Facial Bar.
The soap loaded very easily with great peaks on a bowl lathering. Took easily to water needed to be added.
Immediately I fell in love with the scent, a wonderful cedar, sandalwood and ferny woody smell with aromatics of jasmine and lily. AS I write this I can still smell it wafting from my bathroom.

I am breaking in my Simogue 1305 and was afraid to do a load and lather right on my leg, so I did a bowl lather. The brush is breaking in nicely and has softened up. I had done about 5 palm lathers with 10-minute rub outs after cleaning rather than actually on my body. But when I applied the bowl lather to my legs, I found it wasn't scritchy or harsh at all. I can only imagine how it will be after 10 more shaves.

First pass I had the razor set on 3 but changed it immediately to a 2. I ran the razor up my leg and second pass down my leg. The soap had plenty of glide. I changed the razor setting to 1 and finished with a touch up by going across the grain just for ****s and giggles even though it didn't need it. Between passes, I had to load a little more soap. Women's skin is so different than men's so after the first pass the lather kind of slides along without a real thick layer laid down, but there was plenty of protection there.

As I've mentioned, I shave my arms too. I used the Neutrogena Glycerin bar and thought, why not just use it as my lather. It's a quality soap and glad I did it. The blade just slid easily. From now on, I'll continue to do that.

Followed up with the usual post-shave of witch hazel, Pinaud Clubman Aftershave, and Nivea Sensitive after-shave balm.

As to the blade...It is above the quality of the Derby blades I got in a razor kit. It was smooth and no knicks or weepers. I'm happy with my first use of this Dorco ST-301.

P.S. I got that M.D. Harris on ebay. It was a two pack of the 100g pucks. The other one was Harris Natural (unscented) I offered him $15 and he took the offer. Given what I've seen this premier soap selling for, it was a steal IMHO.
P.P.S. Glad I put that Plasti Dip on the QShave, no-slip remedy!

Doing a little catching up, and it looks like you're doing great! Your acquisition disorder is coming along nicely as well lol. There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but don't be afraid to throw in some variety now and then if that's your preference. If we never took a little chance we would probably still be shaving with carts, and some of us would have missed out on the joy of using a straight razor as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, Jim. I think of it more like taking in and processing information received rather than taking directions. Taking directions sounds like a husband saying, make me a sammich. :)

Sorry. I meant it more as in women will ask somebody for directions, sometimes before they're lost; listening to directions they've asked for. According to my wife, men just ride around lost and don't ask for directions.

proxy.php

I may be confused, but I'm never lost.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This video might also enlighten you guys as to what we ladies do to shave our legs and why.

Doing a little catching up, and it looks like you're doing great! Your acquisition disorder is coming along nicely as well lol. There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but don't be afraid to throw in some variety now and then if that's your preference. If we never took a little chance we would probably still be shaving with carts, and some of us would have missed out on the joy of using a straight razor as well.
Yes, indeed, my hoarding has begun. Everyone has been helpful with ideas and suggestions.
I totally agree that DE Safety Razor shaving is a sensuous indulgence and "me time" I love to partake in.
Thanks for your comments.

Sorry. I meant it more as in women will ask somebody for directions, sometimes before they're lost; listening to directions they've asked for. According to my wife, men just ride around lost and don't ask for directions.

proxy.php

I may be confused, but I'm never lost.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Your wife is a wise woman. May I add that men never read directions first when putting together Ikea items either or double check the parts list first before digging in.

Top Bottom