What's new

Feather SS AS-D1 / Learning Curve and Non Feather Blades

i don't get how this razor works so great for me. i have a very wiry beard and don't shave but every four days sometimes. this razor works nicer for me than anything including the artist club japanese. i guess i can just count myself lucky. i also use wilkinson blades which are for nothing at walmart. i originally thought i got one shave per side. with a different angle i can get about six! i use it with the handle nearly pointing at the wall. all i feel is smooth cap and i love it. i wish for everyone else you realize good results with it. i do not try to get bbs with it but nothing is visible after. plus i have found that after a month with it my beard does not grow as much. i used to look like an ape after four days but no longer. i shave so fast with it too. i take short strokes whereas with the straight i could go right down my face but it is actually faster. if it did not work for $179 i honestly would have returned it.

I just tested it again today on my 1 day old well prepped beard (would never dream of using this on anything longer than 2 days growth)

Did a 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG and ATG, scuttle lathering with CF Lavender - really poor result, in fact miserable. Tried to use no pressure at all. Used a fresh new Feather blade. It simply will not cut my stubbles. I look unshaved after 3 passes with this DE. I can go over the same stubbles several times, WTG, XTG and ATG and it still ignores my whiskers completely.

I try to adjust the angle a bit, place the handle pointing direclt at the wall - no nothing !

Beginnning to wonder if Feather has made a good deal of their DE with less than stellar quality control, I just can't grasp this razor :blink:

I'm slowly giving up on it. Was running late for work because this darn Feather DE will not give me anything to remotely acceptable shave......so had to use some canned shaving gel, my Fusion WTG and in one pass my whiskers was gone down to 95% level, but this Feather DE almost made me turn up late at work...... :thumbdown

I'll give it one last chance and then dump it - it's not worth the hazzle. Will never repurchase this $220 crap again :angry:

perhaps try a wilkinson blade. $1.50 for 10 at walmart. i seem to be the only person that uses them. i wonder if that is the trick. i just hate to see someone blow $179. i am sorry you had this bad luck.

This razor mistifies me. Some hate it, others love it. I hated it for a week, now I love it. I use feathers or 7oclock blacks. If you want a similar looking razor but a bit more aggressive look at the ikon OSS. I rreally like mine.

I love my Feather AS. It did take me awhile to get the angle right but now it gets more wrist-time than my Beloved English Gillettes. I get plenty of feedback as well.

For me using the Feather initially was like learning to shave with a DE razor all over again. It is a different animal but a stunning one. Smooth irritation free shave every single time and a work-of-art.

Please persevere!!!

I love my Feather AS. It did take me awhile to get the angle right but now it gets more wrist-time than my Beloved English Gillettes. I get plenty of feedback as well.

For me using the Feather initially was like learning to shave with a DE razor all over again. It is a different animal but a stunning one. Smooth irritation free shave every single time and a work-of-art.

Please persevere!!!
Sorry, but we are on different planets.

Tried a balzano blade in my feather with the head fully tight with a few days of growth. During my 3 passes I thought that it was cutting way more but in the end I still had to do about 10 minutes of buffing of problem areas that the razor doesnt want to cut from all angles.

i have mentioned too many times that this razor works great for me. what i really do not understand though is with wilkinson blades! i do not know if it is some odd combination or if it is just me. everyone is using feather blades etc. and getting poor results. so i threw a feather in there and i got poor results too! i personally consider this the blades make up for the price of the razor. laughing all the way to the bank. honestly i would rather use a $179 razor with $1.50 blades than a $30 razor with $8 blades. it is like a ferrari that runs best on 87 octane. go figure. hey, it's worth a try for you guys before you lose your shirt selling it. if it does not work for you please do not ask me to reimburse you $1.50 lol.

sorry about this you guys are really going to hate me. i normally shave like every four days. i shaved two days in a row as of today. today i got a rotten shave from it! it seems the thing only works for me when i look like an ape! this is madness. i have had the exact opposite results in every respect with this razor. heck, perhaps try everything i am talking about and maybe it will work for you. i really am sorry a lot of people are out of $179.

I have a Feather AS-D1 that I've gotten okay shaves with, but I much prefer my Jagger DE89 or Merkur Progress. I will likely sell the AS-D1. It's so well made and the knurled handle feels great in hand. But when I'm able to get closer shaves with either of the other two... The Feather razor does shave smoothly, just not as close as I'd like. I've tried Feather, Astra, Gillette (blue pkg.), and Bluebird blades, one shave with each. So after a week with the Feather, I think it's time to sell it. I had read where some guys have cut the edges of a blade or two and placed in under the cutting blade to increase the gap for a closer shave; but if I have to do this to get the razor to work for me, it's time to move on, or in this instance, move back to my standby razors.

Well, Ill start adding my thoughts to this thread soon. Just got mine and will start shaving with it regularly. I'm waiting for my Geather and Med Prep sampler to arrive before I start though, as I feel that tossing an Astra or Shark in it would not do it justice. So first shave will probably be Tuesday or so.

sorry about this you guys are really going to hate me. i normally shave like every four days. i shaved two days in a row as of today. today i got a rotten shave from it! it seems the thing only works for me when i look like an ape! this is madness. i have had the exact opposite results in every respect with this razor. heck, perhaps try everything i am talking about and maybe it will work for you. i really am sorry a lot of people are out of $179.
No, I totally agree with you.

Have to say that I love my Feather, I must be lucky as I have never had an issue with it. Using a Feather blade I would say that I get the same quality shave as I do with my Fatboy set on number six, the only difference being that I occassionally nick myself with the Fatboy and have never done so with the Feather. I should also point out that I have a dark tough beard which the Feather has no problem dispensing with even if I haven't shaved for 2/3 days.

I have a Feather AS-D1 that I've gotten okay shaves with, but I much prefer my Jagger DE89 or Merkur Progress. I will likely sell the AS-D1. It's so well made and the knurled handle feels great in hand. But when I'm able to get closer shaves with either of the other two... The Feather razor does shave smoothly, just not as close as I'd like. I've tried Feather, Astra, Gillette (blue pkg.), and Bluebird blades, one shave with each. So after a week with the Feather, I think it's time to sell it. I had read where some guys have cut the edges of a blade or two and placed in under the cutting blade to increase the gap for a closer shave; but if I have to do this to get the razor to work for me, it's time to move on, or in this instance, move back to my standby razors.

No, I totally agree with you.

You guys have got me curiosity fired up. If you have used say 40s style Super Speeds, how would you describe your experiences?

I have what most consider tough straight steel brush like hair (I'm indian). The feather mows down my hair like butter. Exaggerate you angle, strive for like 60 degrees. You want the razors cap to glide across your skin not the safety bar. Believe me the feather can give you razor burn if used with the right angle and pressure is applied, so no pressure and have the handle as far away from the floor as possible.

I tried the shim thing in a Feather AS-D1 and it didn't work as I thought it might. There was too much unsupported area between the washer (shim) and the body of the blade. I had never tried backing off a full lock-up as suggested above. I may give this a try with a Persona Surgical Med Prep blade--these blades work great in all the razors I own. I also tried cutting a blade and then two and adding them as shims, but no job doing this either. My suggestion is Feather should make two optional or accessory heads or head bases that increase the gap by perhaps 8-thousands of an inch and sell them as separate to all Feather AS-D1 owners. I have two AS-D1 razors and will likely sell the unused one at some point; I'll keep the one that I've used, occasionally I have to 'try' the AS-D1 yet again looking for a better shave from this razor. Problem is, if I go to my Progress I can always count on a great and pretty comfortable shave. The Feather AS-D1 is a work of art in a stainless-steel razor, beautifully crafted. It's performance is something that has to be discovered and improved upon by the user; and thanks to discussions like this, we can find improved methods of using this razor.

For what it's worth, I just sent an e-mail to Feather in Japan and offered my suggestion for accessory heads or head bases with increasingly wider gaps in addition to the standard head. If I hear from them I'll post the response on B&B.

I just shaved 2 days growth with my feather and a Gillette black. This is a great Combo for me. I use a super shallow angle then for the last bit of buffing I go real steep. No irritation. I use this razor when I have time to perform 3.5 passes. Otherwise I'll do a 10 minute r41 or joris 2 pass shave. Other blades I've tried are feather and med prep, both work great. But I get an extra shave from the Gillette black.

go steep seems to be the trick. full on the cap. those of you that did that and got burned probably pressed. let it dangle on two fingers. just try not to drop it :)

i mean with the handle pointing at the wall. so you are on the cap,not the bar. do not use any pressure whatsoever if you do that! if i put the slightest pressure on it in that position it will nick me. otherwise i get a near bbs with 2-3 passes. i also think you guys using a feather blade the blade is too sharp. this is just my results, of course ymmv. one other thing, try taking short strokes and go over them once. i do not count that as a "pass". if you figure it out this razor is aggressive as you want it to be. it is fully capable of causing a blood bath. at least for me. not that i did that.

Top Bottom