What's new

Feather SS AS-D1 / Learning Curve and Non Feather Blades

My report: Nice!

Hot shower -> Simpson Major -> DR Harris lavender shave stick -> Feather AS-D1 with a new Feather blade propped up by an old Astra "shim" underneath (with the handle snug).

Although the blade exposure is greater, and although the blade is flatter, it is still a very mild and intuitive shave. No fiddling with angles was necessary (instead, just listen to the blade sing as it slices whiskers). DFS in a few passes with some touch up. No weepers, nicks, cuts, or irritation.

Tomorrow, I think I'll try stacking two shims for a slightly more aggressive shave and see if it will cut even closer.

My report: Nice!

Hot shower -> Simpson Major -> DR Harris lavender shave stick -> Feather AS-D1 with a new Feather blade propped up by an old Astra "shim" underneath (with the handle snug).

Although the blade exposure is greater, and although the blade is flatter, it is still a very mild and intuitive shave. No fiddling with angles was necessary (instead, just listen to the blade sing as it slices whiskers). DFS in a few passes with some touch up. No weepers, nicks, cuts, or irritation.

Tomorrow, I think I'll try stacking two shims for a slightly more aggressive shave and see if it will cut even closer.

Thanks for the report. Ill try the shim test but im not sure if putting a shim acts as the same way as keeping the head loose.

here is a trick i found. just tighten the as-d1's handle loosely. like just till it stops then back off a drop. that makes a bigger gap on the comb. the razor should get closer and still not be aggressive at all.

Is the head still snug enough for safeness? Will the shaving angle still need a steeper angle?

^ No. That's why I used a shim-- so I could snug the handle tight and not have the head swivel on me.

^^ Theoretically, but it is such as small change I didn't even notice.

Is the head still snug enough for safeness? Will the shaving angle still need a steeper angle?
I turned the head till it was full tight then i turned it back just a bit, made a huge difference and i didnt have any weepers and at some points i could feel the head getting even more loose but it didnt change anything in a negative way. But I will try the shim to see if it does the same.
Youll get more feedback so youll be able to find a good spot with all the feedback.

I can't listen to much more of this. Have you guys wondered why you are having a discussion about learning curve, opening the head to expose more blade, shimming, searching for that "soft spot" blade angle, listening to the loud singing of the blade with one of the most beautiful and well made razors on the market. However, for me, the AS has such a constricted usable range of blade angles, it is far too mild and wimpy to be an effective shaver. Now excuse me while I run and hide.

Gus

I can't listen to much more of this. Have you guys wondered why you are having a discussion about learning curve, opening the head to expose more blade, shimming, searching for that "soft spot" blade angle, listening to the loud singing of the blade with one of the most beautiful and well made razors on the market. However, for me, the AS has such a constricted usable range of blade angles, it is far too mild and wimpy to be an effective shaver. Now excuse me while I run and hide.

Gus
I don't think any of this fiddling is necessary I get great shaves with no shims and a tightened handle. This is a razor that's worth figuring out.

I don't think any of this fiddling is necessary I get great shaves with no shims and a tightened handle. This is a razor that's worth figuring out.
This is the fun part of forums, people can share their ideas and those ideas can help others. In my opinion this razor should have never entered the north american market. This is for those that are stuck with a 200 razor that doesn't perform, giving new life into this razor is a wonderfull thing. It's like upgrading a nice car with a poor motor.

Another shave today, but this one without a shim (but with the handle snug and again with a new blade). The end result was just as nice as yesterday's shave with a shim, but it was a smoother process/shave.

In my opinion, the AS-D1 is just fine as it is. I understand why some folks don't like it, but it works very well for me, and it is obviously very safe for a safety razor. ;)

Instead of loosening the head and having it move around, a small washer can be inserted to create the additional space. Functional with out destroying the pure sexiness of the razor.

Instead of loosening the head and having it move around, a small washer can be inserted to create the additional space. Functional with out destroying the pure sexiness of the razor.
There is something about a $180 razor with a washer in it that is just not sexy.

This is the fun part of forums, people can share their ideas and those ideas can help others. In my opinion this razor should have never entered the north american market. This is for those that are stuck with a 200 razor that doesn't perform, giving new life into this razor is a wonderfull thing. It's like upgrading a nice car with a poor motor.

Are you saying that because you feel that this particular DE razor was aimed at the Asian market and for people with medium to lighter non stiff beard stubbles or ?

There is something about a $180 razor with a washer in it that is just not sexy.

Agreed. I still hang on to my TAS-1 DE mostly because of the beautiful stand and craftsmanship of the razor.
I still can't figure the right angle out - having tried to find the angle 20+ times now.

I can still sell this razor as totally mint since I have never had a full complete shave with it.....yet...

Only if I shave almost non existing 10-12 hour old stubbles away can this razor make me feel like I got a good decent shave out of it :blink:

Even if I do the most well thought out prep, anything older than 2 days stubbles combined with this razor makes me feel like I could just as easily shave with a DE razor without a blade in it and get the same results out of it, but I'm stubborn and will give this a very patient chance to show what it's really worth....hmmmmm

If you haven't learned the proper angle of a Feather AS D-1 then your have not learned to shave Like a Man :tongue_sm Don't hate little boys :lol:

My my what have i just Started :sneaky2:

I could be wrong, but I like to think Feather intentionally designed the AS-D1 to be a very mild and safe safety razor, the sort one can use in a hurry, every day, with or without a bit of pressure, and without fear of blood loss.

By the way, my Scandinavian beard is fairly stiff and gray...

I could be wrong, but I like to think Feather intentionally designed the AS-D1 to be a very mild and safe safety razor, the sort one can use in a hurry, every day, with or without a bit of pressure, and without fear of blood loss.

By the way, my Scandinavian beard is fairly stiff and gray...

Hey Mr Olson - are you of Norwegian or Swedish origin ?
In Denmark, it's Olsen, in Sweden and Norway it's Olson or Olsson, so guess you're from either of these 2 Viking brother countries of mine :biggrin1:

BTW my beard is stiff as steel wire, and even with very well prepped skin and stubbles and 25+ stubborn tries to get this mystery DE to work on my beard, I can still manage to use a brand new Father blade in this DE and take 2 full passes on my throat area and remove what feels and looks like 5% of my stubbles in 2 full passes ATG and XTG with this DE razor Extreme Light..... :blink:

Last edited:
^ Hey, Claus! Greetings from a fellow Viking across the pond.

I am mostly Norwegian, on both sides. I understand Norway lost about a quarter of its population to the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It seems many went to Minnesota and then spread out from there.

Regarding your AS-D1, you might try using a shim or two beneath your blade and see how that does.

i don't get how this razor works so great for me. i have a very wiry beard and don't shave but every four days sometimes. this razor works nicer for me than anything including the artist club japanese. i guess i can just count myself lucky. i also use wilkinson blades which are for nothing at walmart. i originally thought i got one shave per side. with a different angle i can get about six! i use it with the handle nearly pointing at the wall. all i feel is smooth cap and i love it. i wish for everyone else you realize good results with it. i do not try to get bbs with it but nothing is visible after. plus i have found that after a month with it my beard does not grow as much. i used to look like an ape after four days but no longer. i shave so fast with it too. i take short strokes whereas with the straight i could go right down my face but it is actually faster. if it did not work for $179 i honestly would have returned it.

Top Bottom