What's new

Feather Popular Questions

I just kinda found out about the Feather Popular tonight. I saw that it is quite inexpensive and not bad looking from the pics I saw. What is the shave like with it? And is it built well enough to be used as an only razor? Used with a Feather blade is the blade angle lined up just right?
I am curious!

It shaves nicely, not aggressive or too mild. I would recommend one to a beginner or an experienced shaver. I have had a number of DEs and can get a good shave from any of them, so the Feather Popular is not so special in that regard. It is just a good, simple, inexpensive razor that works.

My daily razor is a shavette, and my travel razor is the Popular DE. I like the one-piece construction and TTO operation which make blade changes and rinsing out soap quick and easy. A no fuss experience. I also like that the plastic handle makes it light (for baggage) when compared to a classic Gillette Adjustable or Merkur razor. The slim head makes it easier to shave under the nose than say a Merkur Futur.

A particular razor, it works well or better only with is Feather Blades, instead it is too mild or ineffectly. Not natural angle in this it is unconfortable in moustache area, it is similiar in results to more expensive Feather Stainless like ASD.

It shaves nicely, not aggressive or too mild. I would recommend one to a beginner or an experienced shaver. I have had a number of DEs and can get a good shave from any of them, so the Feather Popular is not so special in that regard. It is just a good, simple, inexpensive razor that works.

My daily razor is a shavette, and my travel razor is the Popular DE. I like the one-piece construction and TTO operation which make blade changes and rinsing out soap quick and easy. A no fuss experience. I also like that the plastic handle makes it light (for baggage) when compared to a classic Gillette Adjustable or Merkur razor. The slim head makes it easier to shave under the nose than say a Merkur Futur.
Sounds like a nice simple razor.
Thanks StillShaving for the info.
I appreciate it!

I have not tried a AS-D2 so I cannot compare it to the Popular. But IMO the Popular works nicely, with enough aggression that I do not find it difficult to use. I believe that if I used pressure that it would easily produce nicks, but it was also not so mild that it took super care in angle adjustment. After learning to use a Feather Artist Club shavette my sense of pressure might be refined more than when I was using heavier DE razors. Still I get the feeling that it is fairly mild but not as mild as the AS-D2 (I am only saying that based on reading the opinions of others), as I get the sensation of the blade cutting closely to the point of touching the skin. But I can shave quickly without much fear of getting cut.

I have used Voskhod, Rapira, Derby, and probably Ladas and Astra blades in the Popular. But have not used any Feather blades.

As for the build quality I am inclined to compare it a post-DE Gillette, something like a Sensor. Where there are plastic parts but something that I expect will last for decades.

Be aware, there is a Chinese copy of this out there too that comes with Gillette 7 o'clock blades. I bought one and it was really, really bad. It may look the same but it is stupidly aggressive!

I bought one as a travel razor. It works, nothing more to say, really. Its comfortable and stable. Personally, I don't like the lack of weight, which keeps it out of my daily driver use. But for a plastic/bakelite product, its very nicely put together. The materials look cheap, but face feel and shave quality are much higher than the look of the product. I've used feathers in it, personnas, and rapira luxes, all produce a good shave. But for, I think, less than 13 bucks, how can one complain?

My first razor was the Popular a couple of years or more ago.
Great razor for learning and I like it for traveling.
I'm used to more "aggressive" razors (now that's a whole nuther thread) and don't use it often, however.
It's well made and I recommend it.

I have the popular, the AS-D1 and the Feather travel razor. The travel razor shaves the best for me in terms of closeness, followed by the popular and AS-D1 in that order. If you can find the Feather travel razor (Feather Portable), I would recommend that over the popular. All three are extremely well-built.

The Popular is my main razor so I'll try and give these questions a shot.

1. The shave experience is highly dependent on the blade. In my experience it performs extremely well with Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless blades (green packaging, made in Russia). This combo cuts whiskers effortlessly with minimal blade feel.
2. The build quality is decent enough. I have no blade alignment or blade gap issues and the TTO mechanism works smoothly. I wouldn't trust it to survive a bad drop though.
3. It works fine with Feather blades, but the the Gillette greens are much better. YMMV.

So based on this discussion, I pulled out my Feather Popular today, which I have not used in a few years, and had a close comfortable shave with an Astra blade. Definitely now recommend it. My technique has improved over the years. Probably will revisit my Feather AS-D1.

I think this is a very good razor. I mainly use mine for travel. It shaves as good as my other razors. This razor has solid lockup, good blade alignment, and is a smooth shaver. I’ve had very good luck with mine.

I use feather blades, personna, and gillette nacet. I’ve never had a bad shave with this razor.

My favorite attribute is it’s low profile going through TSA. I get it through with a blade loaded every time.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am new to DE shaving and have been using a Feather Popular with the supplied Feather Hi Stainless blades as a daily razor. I tried a Chieftain first and found the Feather to be more to my liking. BBS on my face every time 3 passes, and a SAS on my neck WTG,XTG.
I would recommend one to a beginner. YMMV
Doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
A Feather Popular next to a Razorock DE1, another inexpensive razor to consider $9.99 @amazon.
RR-F.jpg

Top Bottom