What's new

Feather, measure of all blades

Concerning the Dorco 300 & 301's and a lot of other blades there is a nice sticky on SMF by Squire. My skin says they are different and so does Squire.

The misunderstanding happens a lot with Lord blades as well. The manufacturer is asked whether his blades are of different quality and his reply will be that they are all of the same quality. The question should have been whether his blades are different (in hones, coatings, number of bevels etc) since nobody will ever tell you half of his blades are great while the other half just sucks...

Concerning the Dorco 300 & 301's and a lot of other blades there is a nice sticky on SMF by SquireThe question should have been whether his blades are different (in hones, coatings, number of bevels etc) since nobody will ever tell you half of his blades are great while the other half just sucks...

Yes, I agree many manufacturers will not readily disclose that a portion of their product line is made to a lower standard. You can ask the question differently, such as "Why are 'x' blades more expensive than 'y' blades?" or something equivalent. At that point, they'll justify why one is a higher price (e.g. more coatings).

I still have to try:

ASCO (2 different boxes?)
Treet Durasharp HiTech
Nacet Platinum (two different wrappers?)
Super Thin Stainless
Tiger

If you have any current production blades, that are readily available and have not yet been tested, please pm/pif me. I am looking for a.o.

Shogun (red)
SuperMax Super Platinum
SuperMax Tiger
Timor

Last edited:
71st blade ASCO Super Stainless (blue/red). Good shave, nice and smooth. DFS in 2 no problems. For me same as CROWN. I rate it 8.

72nd blade: Nacet Platinum. Very nice shave, smooth and close. DFS in 2 , no problems. I rate it 8, looking at the price.

Last edited:
i think you should update the OP with your findings thus makiing it easyer for new readers to find the info.

I didn't go through the whole thread but to me it's rather

Feather, measure of all overrated blades in existence.

I find them sharp but WAY worse than many other blades when it comes to smoothness and longevity. A blade overrated, overpriced and ultimately overhyped. Not worth it i think.

I didn't go through the whole thread but to me it's rather

Feather, measure of all overrated blades in existence.

I find them sharp but WAY worse than many other blades when it comes to smoothness and longevity. A blade overrated, overpriced and ultimately overhyped. Not worth it i think.

To get things into perspective; they should last longer for the money asked but for me they are smooth enough. And you should have been gone through the whole thread to see the irony of it all; the tests rather agree with you! :biggrin:

I still have to try:

Treet Durasharp HiTech
Super Thin Stainless
Tiger
Timor

If you have any current production blades, that are readily available and have not yet been tested, please pm/pif me. I am looking for a.o.

Shogun (red)
SuperMax Super Platinum
SuperMax Tiger

73th blade: TIMOR. Sharp blade, quite smooth. DFS in 2 no problems. Pity of the price, now I would take Souplex over them. I rate it 8.
Thanks to Harry (Talibeard) for the pif.

I still have to try:

Treet Durasharp HiTech
Super Thin Stainless
Tiger

Shogun (red)
SuperMax Super Platinum
SuperMax Tiger

As an extra I have tested nos Rotbart Platinveredelt (Platinum), the German version of the "Swedes" in my Feather ASR. Jetlemen Classic Fern cream as pre shave, Tabac shave stick and a NN Indian horse brush. The Classic Fern goes well with Tabac, it makes it smell quite nice. The shave was very good, the blade is quite sharp. I did 3 passes: WTG, XTG and GTX. All passes were smooth, and all passes gave a nice reduction of the stubble. I did get irritation afterwards, but that is me, the most my neck will take without protest is 2 passes. I got near BBS in the face and DFS on the neck. Next time I will try 3 passes on the face and 2 on the neck.

74th blade: Treet Durasharp HiTech Some tugging during the first pass, smooth second pass. DFS is 2, with slight problems. I rate it 7. This blade performs better in some of my other razors, iike the ASR.

Did you managed to obtain and of the higher and SuperMax blades (e.g. SuperMax Super Platinum, SuperMax Tiger). The reason I ask is that I like the SuperMax Super Stainless blades and want to know how they compare.

Did you managed to obtain and of the higher and SuperMax blades (e.g. SuperMax Super Platinum, SuperMax Tiger). The reason I ask is that I like the SuperMax Super Stainless blades and want to know how they compare.

I want to try them for the very same reason. Alas, sofar no pif or trade...

Top Bottom