What's new

Feather, measure of all blades

Till now, a Feather seems best for me: great shave, very smooth and forgiving and no burn afterwards ( since I stopped putting pressure on the razor :001_rolle). So I will compare my other blades to Feather. To make it fair, I have also changed my routine. There was another flaw there. I went over some diffiicult spots 4 or 5 times in one pass. Now I do 3 passes (WTG, ATG and XTG) and try not to go over the same spot more than twice per pass.
I will rate each blade on a scale from 1 to 10 (=Feather).
The razor is Feintechnik Golf (aluminum) or R1 (mainly plastic); soap is ARKO shave stick.
Prep is Chandrika Sandalwood soap.

Last edited:
First blade: Gillette Bleue Extra. Soap was Cella.
Almost as smooth and sharp, only little burn: 8.

Last edited:
I have tried both. I prefer the Iridium. The Feather was not as smooth as the Iridium. I have a very tough beard and the Iridium lasted 5 shaves. The Feather after one was not doing to good and it was not nearly as close as the Iridium. But everyone is different.

Two words, Blue Bird

Do not worry: this one will come on too.
I will test:

Perma Sharp
Iridium Super
Red Personna
BIC
IP
Flying Eagle (various)
Blue Bird
Shark
Super-Max (various)
Trig
Treet Durasharp
Zorrik
Dorco 301
Topaz (various)
Laser Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Super Silver
Gillette Super Thin Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Super Blue
Wilkinson (various / India, so Gillette)
Astra Platinum
Rapira SS
Rotbart Extra Dunn
Souplex
Croma
Kai
Derby
Lord Platinum

And perhaps some others :laugh: Apart from Perma Sharp, IS, Astra, Treet, Shark, Souplex and Rotbart, I have already tried these blades, but with bad technique. So now I am trying them again...

Last edited:
Second blade: Wilkinson Saloon.
Almost as sharp and smooth as a Feather, hardly any burn afterwards. This is a good and inexpensive blade. I will rate it 8.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of blades brand and when i want a smooth BBS shave without dragging and pulling i always go back to Feather.

IMO Feather provides the closest shaves with the least number of passes. Iridiums are a close second. Agreed Iridiums are smoother.

The majority of blades are capable of providing close shave with proper beard prep, technique and increased passes (compared to a feather and iridium)

I have only tried the feather in my HD. I need to try them in my futur, where I get my best shave with a RP Personna. Have yet to ever even see a blue bird or a iridium.

Third blade: Croma. Soap Cella.
In the R1 (a more agressive razor), the shave was acceptable, not much burn so I will rate it 6.

Last edited:
I find the turkish Perma Sharp Super almost as sharp as a Feather but smoother. I would always prefer a Perma-Sharp for a Feather. But I haven't tried an Iridium blade. From the information I got the Perma Sharp is sharp like the Iridium but even smoother.

I find the turkish Perma Sharp Super almost as sharp as a Feather but smoother. I would always prefer a Perma-Sharp for a Feather. But I haven't tried an Iridium blade. From the information I got the Perma Sharp is sharp like the Iridium but even smoother.

Another one I will have to try:001_rolle But this is the last one I will add to the list.

Last edited:
I was wondering: Do you only use each new blade once before rating it or do you use it a few times? I find that some blades really change after the first shave, often for the better. :001_smile

I was wondering: Do you only use each new blade once before rating it or do you use it a few times? I find that some blades really change after the first shave, often for the better. :001_smile

Hello Dave,

I use a blade twice, so that's how I test them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom