What's new

Feather in the Muhle R41

How many times do you use the Feather in the Muhle R41?

I ask specifically about this combination because I suspect that because of its open comb and wider angle of effectiveness, this R41 shaver wears out the blades more quickly.

I know that in a closed comb razor, the Feather can be used a lot more times. I've seen posts here that mention very serious numbers, tens...

I have also used the Feather three times without trying more because I was advised after the third time to change the blade. However, today I had my fourth shave with Gillette Platinum in R41 GS, which looked just fine, I would say like the previous 3 times.
So, I wonder why a blade like the Feather, which is obviously higher quality, has a shorter life than the significantly cheaper Gillette Platinum, possibly other budget blades as well?

Three Feather shaves for me in razors of any level of aggression. I've experimented with going to 4 when I first got into DE shaving. It was doable, but the performance dropped off enough that I was not going to stretch a 30 cent blade past three shaves...

I have also used the Feather three times without trying more because I was advised after the third time to change the blade. However, today I had my fourth shave with Gillette Platinum in R41 GS, which looked just fine, I would say like the previous 3 times.
So, I wonder why a blade like the Feather, which is obviously higher quality, has a shorter life than the significantly cheaper Gillette Platinum, possibly other budget blades as well?

The edge on the Feather blades is ground differently. They are sharper than others, because of the width of the edge that is ground thin and fine. Thin and fine steel edges are more easily worn.

You might have noticed the same thing if you sharpen your own knives and cutlery. A slightly less sharp edge is more durable than the sharpest possible edge.

...why...

BTW, Feather blade do seem to last a little longer in certain razors, such as the Feather AS-D2. The AS-D2 has a lot of similarity with the classic Gillette Tech (probably the early post-war models around 1946-1950). This razor supports the blade quite close to the edge and does not have very much blade exposure. The R41 is not like this.

Last edited:
BTW, Feather blade do seem to last a little longer in certain razors, such as the Feather AS-D2. The AS-D2 has a lot of similarity with the classic Gillette Tech (probably the early post-war models around 1946-1950). This razor supports the blade quite close to the edge and does not have very much blade exposure. The R41 is not like this.
Yes it is! I'm sure the R41 eats the blade faster no matter what it is, but most noticeably it happens with the Feather

This has been discussed in at least two other threads. The R41 wears out the blades faster. Feathers or not.
If you use a less sharp blade to begin with, like a Astra or something, it’s not as pronounced. But if you throw a sharp blade in there, it becomes very obvious very quickly that it’s getting dull. At least that’s my experience.

Top Bottom