What's new

FEATHER AS D2 - Shaving Excellence!

I think you are going to be surprised when you hit that magic angle!
I found the angle! a real pleasure to shave with this razor. The results are just sublime! I just tossed my blade after the second shave. I'm going to to try some different blades to compare.

IMG_8620.jpg

I think you are going to be surprised when you hit that magic angle!
It took me a while before it happened for me. In fact, I had to put it on the shelf for a few months then come back to it. I was on the verge of trading it. Now I am glad I didn't. I had another wonderful shave with my AS-D2 today. /effortless

So far, and I’m still experimenting, I haven’t gotten a better and more effortless shave than with my Feather AS-D2. Wizamet SI blades.
I found Feather blades work very well in my AS-D2, but they are a bit pricey. BIC Chrome work just as well, cost significantly less and seem to last longer. As it happens I have a couple of tucks of Wizamet blades on order, so I'll give them a try when they arrive.

The only thing I dislike about the AS-D2 is that it's simply too mild to give a BBS under my chin, so I have to switch razors halfway through each shave. As nice as the Feather handle is, I swapped mine out for a THT titanium one and it seems much more nicely balanced. YMMV.

It took me a while before it happened for me. In fact, I had to put it on the shelf for a few months then come back to it. I was on the verge of trading it. Now I am glad I didn't. I had another wonderful shave with my AS-D2 today. /effortless
Same here, it was boxed up and in the closet because while I could get an OK shave with it I had other razors in the rotation that just shaved better. I sure am glad that I gave it a second chance!

I found Feather blades work very well in my AS-D2, but they are a bit pricey. BIC Chrome work just as well, cost significantly less and seem to last longer. As it happens I have a couple of tucks of Wizamet blades on order, so I'll give them a try when they arrive.

The only thing I dislike about the AS-D2 is that it's simply too mild to give a BBS under my chin, so I have to switch razors halfway through each shave. As nice as the Feather handle is, I swapped mine out for a THT titanium one and it seems much more nicely balanced. YMMV.
Are you sure that under your chin you are hitting the angle right? I only ask because the chin area is a hard spot for me to hit what I consider the “counterintuitive” perfect hold. Today I got it on the first try and it was zip zip, BBS, while last outing I missed and had to do some touch up.

These are nice razors, been close to a decade since I've used one. I'll have to try and dig mine out from the vault of gear out of rotation.

Are you sure that under your chin you are hitting the angle right? I only ask because the chin area is a hard spot for me to hit what I consider the “counterintuitive” perfect hold. Today I got it on the first try and it was zip zip, BBS, while last outing I missed and had to do some touch up.
Yes, absolutely sure. It takes a very aggressive razor to get BBS, e.g., Ikon B1 Standard, Ikon Tek, Merkur Futur. I even struggle with an R41GS. Those are the 5 razors I have lined up in my bathroom. Generally, at the moment, I start with the AS-D2 and finish up with the B1. Great shave.

Reactions: tm3
I've now tried a Wizamet blade in my AS-D2 for a few days. It's perfectly OK, but I definitely prefer a BIC in that razor. I'll use the remaining Wizamets in my more agressive razors, where they may be a better match.

I'll say this: I don't have an ASD2 or whatever, but my 1962 Gillette Tech can use any blade I've thrown at it. Weird.
That's undoubtedly true, but I think there's a subtle difference between "can use any blade" and "I slightly prefer blade x over blade y". I don't think the Tech is substantially different to the AS-D2 in that respect. I have a 1940's EFB Tech arriving soon, and I'm looking forward to trying a few different blades in that. It was apparently the inspiration for the AS-D2.

I have also been on the verge of selling this razor. Once i figured it out it turned out to be really a good razor. Shorter strokes and more focus on the angle helped. This was the first DE i bought. Some razors just get better with age:)

Top Bottom