What's new

Feather AS-D2 Review - Packaging Through Usage

Mine Shipped out yesterday from Jatai.net Should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Yes i got it for $185.00 not $225.00 :thumbdown .

Once i get it i will post a Review of it.

I ordered from Sekiedge, which is the same as Jatai, just under a different name (you get billed by Jatai on your credit card). I used them because there is a 10% off coupon and used that to get the AS-D2.

To follow up from earlier, It's a keeper and will go into regular rotation no question. Two easy peasy passes with a new Feather blade and I'm DFS+. I may try an old school quick and dirty single pass with quick overlapping strokes next.

There is definitely less call for divining rods to find the angle (lower and wider)compared to the AS-D1.

My only design criticism of the AS-D1 remains though. The head is wide enough to encompass the entire razor blade, including the tabs. This looks great and does cut down on catching ones nose and such with the blade tabs, but makes it much harder to get those last few whiskers that grow almost in my nostrils. A gentle radius on the side of the head (plan view)could still cover the tabs and help out here.

A lovely razor that is worth the expense to me. I would love nothing more than a TTO from Feather next.

Happy shaving,

Patrick

Excited about my order from Jatai. I've been using me ATT R exclusively for the past week. If the D2 is a bit more mild I welcome it. (I have a chubby 3 Super on the way too. If I go missing my wife did it. )

I ordered from Sekiedge, which is the same as Jatai, just under a different name (you get billed by Jatai on your credit card). I used them because there is a 10% off coupon and used that to get the AS-D2.
Wow wish i knew about that 10% savings, That's an additional $18.50 Savings off the $185.00 That's a great deal.

After eleven shaves with the Feather DS-A2 I am happy to report that this is still as great a razor for me as it was after the first shave. It is definitely a keeper. I predict that RAD is over for me.

After seven or eight shaves I tried my favorite, non-Feather blade, a Crystal Platinum-Chrome blade, in the Feather AS-D2 and was surprised at the difference the blade choice made. It was so different that I took out the Crystal blade and replaced it with another Crystal blade. I got the exact same result. The AS-D2 + Crystal Platinum Chrome combination could not deal with the easiest first WTG pass section of my face. It pulled, bumped, and skittered. I put a Feather into the razor and all was back to normal.

I then put one of these Crystals into my Aristocrat Adjustable, set at 2, and gave that a try. All was as expected. There was nothing wrong with the Crystal Platinum blade. It behaved as it should in the Aristocrat Adjustable. I got a smooth, comfortable, and effective WTG pass.

One of the things I've noticed about the Feather blades is how thin they are when compared to the other blades I've used. The Feather blade is much thinner than a Crystal Platinum Chrome blade. I haven't got a micrometer but it looks like two Feathers on top of one another would be close to the depth of a single Crystal Platinum Chrome blade. My base assumption, please jump in here gentlemen, is the Feather razor was specifically designed with a thin blade in mind. Put in a thicker blade and the angles change.

As always, this was my experience, YMMV.

I did my third shave tonight with the same Feather blade and am BBS with three easy passes and no redness / irritation. To me this razor is like a 40's / 50's Superspeed in that it gives a great shave easily and quickly.

Imagine Feather's interpretation of a Red Tip!!!

Happy shaving,

Patrick

...One of the things I've noticed about the Feather blades is how thin they are when compared to the other blades I've used. The Feather blade is much thinner than a Crystal Platinum Chrome blade...
Numbers please, numbers. Everything else is just speculation.

...I haven't got a micrometer...
If you would it should read 0.100mm . Cannot tell you about Crystal PC blade.

...My base assumption, please jump in here gentlemen, is the Feather razor was specifically designed with a thin blade in mind...
My base assumption is that Feather razor was specifically designed with a Feather blade in mind.:biggrin1:

My micrometer is not very precise, but from what I measured ALL blades have exactly the same thickness.

My guess is that some blade are more flexible, giving the illusion they are thinner. What you see is different stiffness of steel. All blades have standard dimensions. The edge might be thinner, but the not overall blade thickness.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the AS-D1, which along with the Stahly Live Blade is my favourite shave. I wonder if the AS-D2 is enough better to warrant the cost of my getting one. The pricing in the UK is much higher than the USA at £170 ($275), although I can get one from Poland mail order about 10% cheaper.

Wilson

I am a big fan of the AS-D1, which along with the Stahly Live Blade is my favourite shave. I wonder if the AS-D2 is enough better to warrant the cost of my getting one. The pricing in the UK is much higher than the USA at £170 ($275), although I can get one from Poland mail order about 10% cheaper. Wilson

Yes, in the US we can buy them from a UK vendor for £137.50 (~$222.06) with free shipping as we don't get nicked for the VAT. US vendors have them for ~$200.00. I don't know what your import duty would be but it might be less expensive to have one shipped from the US. BTW, I've seen them at a UK vendor for £165 for domestic shipment.

I bought my AS-D2 from The Italian Barber back at the end of June. It is still the same price now as it was then. $199.99 U.S. or $210.99 Cdn. All in with Canadian tax my order came to $236.31 and I'm completely satisfied. You see, I like having Joe's business in Canada and for a few dollars here or there I'd rather he was here, then say, over seas. The guy is a first rate gentleman and promptly responds personally to e-mail when I've had to contact him. And I mean within an hour or so even after business hours. The one time I had a shipping error, he made everything right in one e-mail. That's how it should be so he'll continue to get my business and I recommend you give him a try too.

I picked up an AS-D2 a week or so ago and can only agree with the OP on what a good razor this is.
I had a brief, unfulfilling fling with an AS-D1 about a year ago and couldn't get the blade close enough to my face no matter what angle I tried so was a little worried about buying the next gen.
Luckily, the issue has been resolved with this beauty. Yes it is very mild - similar to the more modern techs but with the added weight, I am getting fantastic shaves with a significant reduction in the chance of getting any irritation. I'm almost worried that my technique will suffer in the long run as I feel there is almost no chance of getting a nick using the Feather and can happily throw it around my face with no fear.

Top Bottom