What's new

Feather AS-D2 Review - Packaging Through Usage

The title shows I used to be a product manager. This review is going to cover ordering, packaging, disassembly, assembly, and the first shaves. I am limited to five pictures per posting. This posting covers ordering and packaging. The next post will cover disassembly and assembly. Tomorrow's post will cover the first shave. I want my forest to have 48 hours of growth for the first Feather AS-D2 experience.

Ordering

West Coast Shaving had them up for ordering on Sunday, April 21, 2013. I ordered and it was delivered right on time this afternoon by USPS Priority Mail. West Coast Shaving packed the Feather's box extremely well. It arrived in perfect condition.

Packaging

Figuring out how to open the Feather's outer box was an experience. It was Origami time.

$DSCN0612 - Outer Box.jpg

Look for the small piece of clear tape. Do not try cutting it. Gently peel it off. The paper didn't stick to the tape.

$DSCN0613 - Red Box Inside the White Wrapper.jpg

This is a one piece wrapper. It goes back together much easier then it comes apart. The inner box is a deep red. The Feather AS-D2's paper packaging is much less expensive than the wooden box used with the Feather AS-D1. That said, it is still very classy packaging.

$DSCN0615 - First Look.jpg

You see the instruction card and the Feather razor blades, a five pack, when you open the red box's lid. Everything fits tightly into the foam core.

$DSCN0620 - Second Look.jpg

Lift the instruction card and the Feather AS-D2 comes into view. Again, the fit and finish of the packaging is superb.

$DSCN0621 - Third Look.jpg

The Feather AS-D2's fit and finish are superb. No fingerprints, smudges, blemishes, etc... The razor is flat out perfection.

Summary

So far, I am impressed. The experience provided thus far has met my expectations for a luxury product.

Part 2 - Disassembly and Assembly

$DSCN0625 - Bottom View.jpg

The AS-D2's underside is not the same as the AS-D1's. Having never used the AS-D1 I cannot comment on these differences.

$DSCN0627 - Broken Down.jpg

The Feather AS-D2 came apart very smoothly. I felt no wobbles or unevenness. Inner surfaces were smoothly finished and showed no blemishes, smears, smudges, or stains.

$DSCN0628 - Complete with Blade.jpg

Putting a blade into the Feather AS-D2 was amazing. The blade dropped into place with no effort. But, once in place it could not move in any direction. The fitting was exact. I'm a musician. My trumpet valves fit into their sleeves with just enough space for a molecule of lubricant. This is the type of fit I saw. The blades weight is all that's needed to seat or unseat the blade. But, once in place it has no wiggle room. Very cool!.

The top, middle, and stem pieces came together smoothly. No effort was needed to synch / align the parts into place. Put them close to one another and they fall together. Tightening the head to the stem was effortless.

Bottom line - This razor received top drawer mechanical, design, and manufacturing engineering.

Just finished shaving and here's what I found.

Remember YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

It's a Keeper

Prep...

1. Soaked Rudy Vey badger brush...
  2. Showered using standard products / standard routine. Irish Spring soap (including face), Pert Classic shampoo (head and face), dried off but left face dripping wet...
  3. Prepared GFT Lime shaving cream in the usual manner (bowl) while the sink was refilling with hot water...
  4. Wet down face and applied lather...

The Shave...

Decided to do this in the normal for me manner as well. This means no pressure/no forcing and letting the blade do all the work. Finding the correct angle was effortless. Didn't feel any differences but the blade sang at the correct angle. Once I had the correct angle I had no problem keeping it. (The first stoke showed me what to do. The second stroke confirmed it.) The balance and grip is superb.

Shaved WTG, XTG, and then ATG

• The WTG (NS) pass mowed down two days of salt and pepper hedge row like it wasn't there.
  • The XTG passes (two EW and then WE) took care of most of my swirls.
  • The ATG (SN) pass was unbelievable. I could have skipped this and with a bit of touch up had a DFS. Even my neck and Adam's Apple zones were easily shaved.
  • I j-hooked a small area above my Adam's Apple - no irritation and a smooth ending
  • For grins I buffed my upper lip - I'm a horn player. We have weird muscle growths underneath the upper lip. (Think flexed bicep muscles running in multiple directions.) No irritation, no weepers, and BBS. This is not normal for me.
Shaving the upper part of my ear lobes was easy. Shaving underneath my nostrils was easy. The Feather AS-D2's head is extremely maneuverable and fits into the tight spots well.

I don't look for an all-round BBS shave. My crop-circle like beard makes this a hard target. But, this razor with extremely light passes gave me a DFS in the hardest to shave areas and an effortless BBS at and above the jaw line. The ease of getting the BBS on the chin and jawline amazed me.

Clean Up

Rinsed off face (warm followed by cool water) and applied Nivea Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin.

Rinsed razor, cleaned the brush, cleaned the bowl, etc...

Summary

The Feather AS-D2 is an high-cost, luxury item. There are many fine razors out there that are well made and perform very well. (Some new and some old) For me, the Feather AS-D2 is worth every penny. 40 minutes after my shave I still feel nothing. Even the skin under my shirt collar, my neck destroys collared shirts, feels nothing. No irritation, no red marks, just smooth skin. My wife is going to love this razor.

Remember YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

Last edited:
Looks sweet, Congrats .

Is it me or does the Plating on this one look a little more on the chrome side then the Original AS-D1 ?

WOW... I fell like it is xmas and Santa just left the building :001_smile

thanks for the great photos and narrative. I felt like "I was there"

Eight to ten hours from now you'll know what I think I know. Stay tuned...

I think I already know ;-) If you don't mind a very mild razor but one that's extremely effective then you'll be a happy puppy! I have been for the last month. Thanks for the detailed review!

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to find out how it performs. I ordered one too and it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I'm traveling but I get home today. I can't wait to open it.

its a beautiful razor. i was lucky enough to be able to test out a friends. the issue with it i have is its to mild for my hair. it did the job but imo no better then my de89 or hd (the hd i think is even a bit more aggressive) other than that its was stunning quality. im about to order a ikon or tradere oc and i hope its even close to the quality i saw in this razor.

Great shave review. Congrats and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just got home and unboxed mine. I can't wait to shave with it. Like yourself I'm waiting until tomorrow so I have two days worth of growth.

Great shave review. Congrats and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just got home and unboxed mine. I can't wait to shave with it. Like yourself I'm waiting until tomorrow so I have two days worth of growth.

I just got mine yesterday and only got to unbox... waiting for the growth to mow down as well!

Top Bottom