What's new

Feather AS-D2 Review - Packaging Through Usage

linty1

My wallet cries.
I emailed Joe from italian barber (canada based, where I am) and his response to the 224-186 price difference was

-----
Hi Evan,

Unfortunately, we pay lots of duties and taxes bring that razor into Ontario from Japan and must also follow the MAP pricing because we the Feather dealer for Canada, so I can't do anything on the price. Keep in mind, if you buy it out of the countries, you will likely be hit with Brokerage ($10-35) plus 7% duties and 13% HST, upon entry.

Joseph Abbatangelo
President, Old World Importing Inc.
Phone: 647.800.4622
Fax: 905.552.0202
Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @razorockJoe

------

I emailed Joe from italian barber (canada based, where I am) and his response to the 224-186 price difference was

-----
Hi Evan,

Unfortunately, we pay lots of duties and taxes bring that razor into Ontario from Japan and must also follow the MAP pricing because we the Feather dealer for Canada, so I can't do anything on the price. Keep in mind, if you buy it out of the countries, you will likely be hit with Brokerage ($10-35) plus 7% duties and 13% HST, upon entry.

Joseph Abbatangelo

------
Thanks for the Reply, but that really doesnt explain the price jump? I am sure there were duties and taxes with the older AS D-1 as there is with the AS D-2 ? Im still not understanding the price jump, Maybe I am missing Something? Sorry :eek:/

-----
Hi Evan,

Joseph Abbatangelo

------
it seems many vendors are overcharging for the razor royal shave & west coast are also 224

Thanks for a very informative review. How does this compare to ATT M? Getting the itch to get one but not sure which one to get. Definitely cannot afford to get both.

it seems many vendors are overcharging for the razor royal shave & west coast are also 224
That is what it sounds like to me, Cant see same Razor with a Modificaton Jumping 50-$70 a Pop. Makes not Sense. Sounds like price Gouging :eek:/ if thats the Case Those Vendors or Supplier that maybe be over charging the Vendors and because of that reason the vendors have to charge $225.00 a Pop, Sounds like time for the vendors to seek another Supplier ?

Last edited:
As Joseph (Italian Barber) pointed out, many of these products are under MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements. This is true of Simpson Brushes and Muhle Razors as well as many other products. If vendors want to continue to carry the product (receive inventory) they must price the items in accordance with what the distributor dictates.

That is what it sounds like to me, Cant see same Razor with a Modificaton Jumping 50-$70 a Pop. Makes not Sense. Sounds like price Gouging :eek:/ if thats the Case Those Vendors Are not kool...

I assumed that it was a new product, high demand, short supply, take advantage of the situation .......... But maybe Feather raised their wholesale pricing?

I assumed that it was a new product, high demand, short supply, take advantage of the situation .......... But maybe Feather raised their wholesale pricing?
I doubt it, if that was the case then why is this place Jatai.net Selling it for $185 ? I'm Placing my order now :eek:) once I get it I will update.

Last edited:
I doubt it, if that was the case then why is this place Jatai.net Selling it for $185 ? I'm Placing my order now :eek:)

Well if it is the MAP thing it looks like Jatai won't be selling them long.

Or maybe Jatai is really a scam from Nigeria......... jk

As Joseph (Italian Barber) pointed out, many of these products are under MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements. This is true of Simpson Brushes and Muhle Razors as well as many other products. If vendors want to continue to carry the product (receive inventory) they must price the items in accordance with what the distributor dictates.
Since taxes remained unchanged and no other extra fees and duties were added to this product that were not there with AS-D1, it is clear from your post that it is the distributor that set the price higher.
Face&Head thanks for pointing this out. Do you know by any chance who is the distributor?

Since taxes remained unchanged and no other extra fees and duties were added to this product that were not there with AS-D1, it is clear from your post that it is the distributor that set the price higher.
Face&Head thanks for pointing this out. Do you know by any chance who is the distributor?

The more I think about this razor and the pricing the less I like it. Why? Well I have the AS-D1 as well as the new Ikon SB & OC and a Tradere OC and the ATT system. I use them with these 2 really beautiful UFO handles so I think any company marketing a 3 piece stainless razor that does not offer the option to buy the caps and or base plates separably is not a company I will support. I welcome other members to comment.
Thanks

If there is one thing people hate around here, it is capitalism.

Not sure that the time honored exercise of bitching about prices is an attack on capitalism; moreover, if we embrace Adam Smith's laissez-faire notions of free markets as pure capitalism, where prices are determined by equilibrium between supply & demand, than MAP can be construed as direct assault on the pricing mechanism that is central to the philosophy. Until the gotta-have-the-new frenzy passes we won't know how well this new Feather/Distributor pricing strategy will work for them. Simpson seems to have the muscle to pull it off, but can't imagine why anyone with access to Google buys a Muhle razor from a US vendor. If they had kept the price the same as last year in constant Yen terms, it would be selling for $145...I wonder how many they'd be selling at that level verses the 55% higher $225. That said, they should charge whatever the market will bear.

For any worried about Jatai.net being legit, I received my AS-D2 as expected today with no issues. I can get a good shave with anything from a Gem 1912 to a Fusion Proglide, so I'm not expecting any issues when I shave with it. We're shaving here, not launching the space shuttle :001_cool:.

As others have said, the packaging is lovely, but not as nice as the AS-D1. I'd much prefer more rudimentary packaging and an included travel case instead. Even something as simple as the plastic case my little Feather Portable came with would be appreciated. For those who don't have one, the case from the Feather Popular is also excellent for travel if no where near as compact as the Portable's tiny little case.

Happy shaving,

Patrick

Mine Shipped out yesterday from Jatai.net Should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Yes i got it for $185.00 not $225.00 :thumbdown .

Once i get it i will post a Review of it.

Top Bottom