What's new

Feather AS-D2 Review - Packaging Through Usage

Yeah. Sort of left that little factoid out. As I said before, "Duh". Next time I'll do what I tell my young students to do. Proofread!

I just used my AS-D2 tonight to shave two days worth of growth and all I can say is wow! It is a great razor. I typically use more aggressive razors like the 2013 Muhle R41 and ATT Titan R1 or H1 because I have a pretty heavy beard. The AS-D2 took care of my beard as well as the other razors with less irritation and the same 3 passes. I performed a WTG, XTG, and ATG and a few touch ups and got a BBS shave. It shaved so smooth that I thought I needed more pressure and ended up with a weeper but other than that the razor performed flawlessly. I'm a big fan and will use this razor exclusively for the time being to become really familiar with it. It's a keeper in my book and based on it's quality I'm sure it will outlast me. The only other thing I can say because this seemed to be an issue with the previous model, but not with this, is the angle was very easy to find and keep throughout the entire shave. Also, BTW I did use a feather blade and I don't think I will ever use another brand in this razor.

Just got mine this week and shaved a few days growth with it. Definitely requires more focus on angle than a typical mild razor, but no where near what people have been saying how it's difficult to shave with IMO. I zoned in quite quickly and got a DFS and BBS in areas. I typically get a complete BBS with an EJ89, but I've been using that razor for awhile. I got a great first shave and I expect even better ones as I learn this razor.

My second shave was better than the first. One problem though. The Feather AS-2 with a Feather blade in it really shaves close. My morning beard was noticeably less than normal. After 24 hours it looked like five o'clock shadow. Shaving is more fun when there's lots to mow down.

This is one very close, very comfortable DE razor.

I hear you on the price. It took a lot of soul searching to order this razor. Had I been able to see one, better yet pick one up, the decision would have been much easier.

Now that I have it, there is absolutely no buyer's remorse.

RAD is probably over. My Rudy Vey brush took care of that BAD subset. Feathers work extremely well for me so that bit of hunting is over at the present time. Fortunately there are lots of great soaps and creams out there. Mike's Natural Soaps are the next thing on my list to try. (It will be mid-summer before I have room for them.)

linty1

My wallet cries.
After seeing this review, I caved and ordered one from italian barber. Oye... a bit of anxiety leading up to the purchase, but now..... I regret nothing. And I'm with Bob L.... Rad is probably over.

Wow! What an excellent review. I've been searching for a while to find an AS-D2 review as comprehensive as this.

I'm thinking about buying this. My next razor purchase will either be Atlas (R1 or M1) or this Feather. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is a label on the top of the head.

I've owned & enjoyed the AS-D1 for a couple of years, but I am curious about the ~25% price increase. I know that it is new & improved but that seems a rather stiff up-charge. It should also be viewed with the understanding that the Yen has dropped almost 20% in the past year, leaving it up 55% on a constant currency (Yen) basis for Feather. The changes appear to be more tweaks than a complete over-haul, although I expect that new tooling was required for the head. Looking at the new version it is hard to imagine that there was much of an increase in labor & materials over the prior model.

Why the Jump from 189.00 or even cheaper to such a high price jump of $225.00 ? Its the same razor just tweaked a little ?

Why the Jump from 189.00 or even cheaper to such a high price jump of $225.00 ? Its the same razor just tweaked a little ?
i guess like everything else when a new product {or up grade} comes along the price seems to rise also, from a new style of pipe to headphones or a television and over time the price finds it's own level,

Top Bottom