What's new

Feather Artist SS or DX? First timer here

Which razor is considered to be a better buy? I noticed that the Feather Artist SS is much cheaper than the DX. Is there a reason for this?

Am I better off going for an actual straight?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Can't comment about going to a straight. But I recently have taken up with a on SS. I'm a total noob with the straight/shavette thing. But I know the SS has a unique bump on the blade holder that helps stretch the skin and makes it easier for a beginner. I found it somewhat easy to learn with my SS.

I think the others summed it up correctly. There is no "better" buy, just your preference. The SS, while cheaper, is just a different razor because of the bump along the blade edge and not because it is lower quality. Many have said this is like training wheels for a straight razor experience because it allows for you experimenting with more angles and is more forgiving. The DX has a slightly concave blade and is closer to a real straight razor and because of that, the angle you use is closer to a real straight. I have both and like using both. You will not go wrong no matter which you decide to get.

The feathers are a bit more demanding than a straight in that they demand a better degree of technique. You can get away with a sloppier technique with a straight. The blades are also very, very sharp. I've only ever used pros or super pros.

I started with straights, tried the SS and DX fixed kamisori styled feathers in a passaround and honestly couldn't feel a difference between the two. I certainly couldn't tell a $150 difference. There is an aesthetic difference between the folders, but the shaves were both excellent. I bought a folding SS and am perfectly happy with it. It's very well made and solid. It s a fine investment.

I have both. They are both great razors. The SS may be a little more forgiving. The DX shaves more like a straight. I used the ss before I got a traditional straight and the transition was pretty seamless. I would recommend starting with the proguard blades. The pros and super pros are very sharp and unforgiving of bad technique. The pro guards are much more forgiving so better to learn with IMHO.

If you think that you will want a dx later,then I would buy it. I bought the ss because of price and ended up getting the Dx later because I couldn't help myself lol. They both give excellent shaves. You can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
I have both. They are both great razors. The SS may be a little more forgiving. The DX shaves more like a straight. I used the ss before I got a traditional straight and the transition was pretty seamless. I would recommend starting with the proguard blades. The pros and super pros are very sharp and unforgiving of bad technique. The pro guards are much more forgiving so better to learn with IMHO

Good advice.

strop

Now half as wise
I just used the SS for the first time this past weekend, with the Pro Gard blade. I can't imagine that the Pro blade could be better, but I'll eventually give it a try. I generally use both straights and DE with the occasional SE thrown in, so my learning curve was shallow, but this will always be in use for me in some rotation or another.

I use the pros and super pros now, but still have a few proguards. You can get fantastic shaves even with the pro guards. I love the honing,stropping and just using straights, but based on pure results I think the feather AC's are the best razors I own.

I have both. They are both great razors. The SS may be a little more forgiving. The DX shaves more like a straight. I used the ss before I got a traditional straight and the transition was pretty seamless. I would recommend starting with the proguard blades. The pros and super pros are very sharp and unforgiving of bad technique. The pro guards are much more forgiving so better to learn with IMHO.

If you think that you will want a dx later,then I would buy it. I bought the ss because of price and ended up getting the Dx later because I couldn't help myself lol. They both give excellent shaves. You can't go wrong either way.

+1

Whether DX or SS, you'll do well. I also really like the Proguards.

$eves rose goat milk soap feather rudy vey thayers trumpers coral skin october 14 2014s.jpg

$mystic water lime kent feather captains choice penhaligon quercus january 6 2016.jpg

I started with a Boker Straight, but switched to a Feather AC DX after a couple months in after having to have it honed for a second time. Let me say two things....
1. I love it and never touch my straight razors anymore. Gives an incredibly smooth and close shave.
2. It is not too difficult to learn for a beginner, but you have to go slow and not use ant pressure at all. The thing is like a lightsaber, and will cut you as soon as you let your guard down or get cocky. I would have a good shave with no pink lather one day, and the next day I would cut myself multiple times because I thought I had it down. And I am not talking about nicks, but long ugly cuts. May have a scar on my neck, the jury is still out.

At the end of the day though I would never use anything else, it seriously makes my face feel like my 6 year old son's.

I'm not even sure why the DX is more expensive than the SS. SS has SUS 317 steel in it, DX has SUS 316 in it. SUS 317 has better corrosion resistance and it is more expensive. The non folding version and of the DX and SS have 1 g on difference if I recall correctly, the folding ones have 10 grams. Ő don't know what drives the cost, SS should be the more expensive ...

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

I bought years ago the Feather Artist RG for half the cost of the DX and I've seen no noticeable wear on the RG at all. Excellent razor. I could not justify the DX price as the RG will last me the rest of my lifetime.

Was using both the Pro Guard and Pro Blades and have transitioned solely to the Pro Guard. Same closeness but a better shave, No nicks, cuts, with the Pro Guard. Plus each blade lasts me a long time.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy the Feather Straight.

Any difference between the one that folds and the one that does not (that resembles the old kamisori)?

Also, will these razors take a Schick Proline, or do you have to use a Feather-branded blade?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Any difference between the one that folds and the one that does not (that resembles the old kamisori)?

Also, will these razors take a Schick Proline, or do you have to use a Feather-branded blade?

They take any AC blade, but not injectors. So Prolines, Kai, etc. will work fine. As long as you get the AC size.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
They will take Injector blades, but the blade will be a "shorty." Line the injector blade up with the toe area and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom