What's new

Feather Artist RG/DX or SS

Hi there. I want to try out a Feather straight. Does anyone have experience with the RG/DX and or the SS? As far as I am aware the newer of the 3 styles is the SS.

The SS is the newest and the most difficult to obtain until recently.

I have a non folding SS and I absolutely adore it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
They are all good...SS is easier to use for a noob, but if you are patient any will give close comfortable shaves. I have a folding DX and nonfolding SS.

I have a folding SS and RG and I am waiting for my non-folding SS to arrive. I would say that the SS is my favorite, definately more forgiving than the RG. I have high expectations for the non-folding once it arrives.

Just like Osborn I have a folding SS and RG and love them, I prefer the RG for regular shaves and the SS for head shaving. So far I only used the kai mild and the professional blades and they are both good. I might buy a non folding DX in the near future.

I just have mine sitting on the shelf.
I've thought of how I could better store it, but I haven't found anything yet.
I'm just about as clumsy as you can be with tools so I won't be building anything.

I have the folding versions of the RG and the SS, and the SS no-folding as well.

Regarding the folding ones, my take is that the new SS has a thinner and (although sort of dented) tang which makes holding harder. In addition, the weight balance took more of my time until I adjusted. I feel though that the SS is even closer to a conventional straight, albeit it still being a shavette type of straight razor.

The non-folding I have not tried yet, and I store it in one of the leather sheathes I have.

Shaving.ie now stocks the folding ones, by the way, that's where I got mine.

I have an RG and an SS, both folding. Both are great shavers, but I prefer the RG due to it's heft and the size. I feel like the SS, being that it is made for the Japanese market, has a considerably smaller blade holder and just doesn't fit in what I thought were my average sized hands. The SS is more forgiving, it is easy on the RG to get a bit too confident and end up digging the blade right into your face due to the weight. I tend to use the Professional Super blades on the RG, and currently use the Kai Captain milds on the SS. The SS is much more eccentric looking, and it's a great lightweight traveler. The blades load exactly the same on both of the razors, and the blade holder comes apart exactly the same for cleaning. Whichever you choose, you are making a wise decision.

Since my last message my SS has gone to someone else as I do prefer the RG (both where folding version). I did get a DX non folding since then, but this one is also going on the BST forum one of these days, it's a great razor but it's just to small for my big hands. The RG is just as good and cheaper but the DX is nicer for those who don't mind the extra cost. All of the feather models give me excellent shaves.

Top Bottom