What's new

Feather AC for a new guy?

I am still thinking about getting into this, but I don't know that I want to mess around stropping every morning and stuff. The Feather AC gets good reviews, and at $99 for the razor is not unreasonable.

For the record I am using a slant and have been wetshaving since I started shaving back, well, never mind how long ago. :biggrin:

If you are wanting to shave with a feather, you do just fine. A feather is not a straight razor. Comparing the feather with a straight is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit but they are different. The feather uses a disposable blade, the straight obviously is not a disposable. I have heard it said, "using a straight for a straight razor is like kissing your sister". Your sister might be worth kissing but mine sure is not. :eek:

I'm not too sure about this whole 'different kettle of fish' thing.

I had my first shave with a straight yesterday, after using a shavette for some time.
I have to say I really didn't find them all that different.

I was using the Sanguine shavette and although it doesn't weigh as much as a straight, it isn't too far off.

I don't know, it was slightly different, but it wasn't the night and day difference that I was expecting from what I've read on the subject.
I found that I was able to use exactly the same grips, angles and techniques, and it was so similar that I was able to shave just as fast.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I know I have only had one shave with the straight, but in my opinion, the shavette was perfect practice for the real thing.

Mikelip, have a look at the Sanguine before you spend all that money on a feather, they are really inexpensive (mine was £7), but quality is good.
With the exchange rate as it is, the feather costs about ten times the price of the Sanguine, and from the reviews I've read of both, it isn't ten times better.

Mikelip, have a look at the Sanguine before you spend all that money on a feather, they are really inexpensive (mine was £7), but quality is good.
With the exchange rate as it is, the feather costs about ten times the price of the Sanguine, and from the reviews I've read of both, it isn't ten times better.

+1

I haven't used a Feather AC, but I just acquired a Sanguine X D20 (the one that looks like the Feather AC) and I concur with Jamesbeat; it is an excellent tool at an excellent price. It would certainly make a good a first step into the world of shavettes and conventional straights.

Best Regards

Graham

+1

I haven't used a Feather AC, but I just acquired a Sanguine X D20 (the one that looks like the Feather AC) and I concur with Jamesbeat; it is an excellent tool at an excellent price. It would certainly make a good a first step into the world of shavettes and conventional straights.

Best Regards

Graham

OK, where does a net geek go to buy one in the US?

OK, where does a net geek go to buy one in the US?

I got mine on ebay from a UK seller called "sanguinebeauty". You should find them on ebay.com, no problem. It cost about $14 CAD and came in exactly two weeks from the order date, with a spiffy leatherette case and a pack of five Wilkinson DE blades.

Best Regards

Graham

Yes, same here. I bought from the same seller, who I believe is the ebay ID of the Sanguine company. I got mine very fast, I think it was next day delivery, but I live in the UK.

It's not one of the pressed tin ones, it's made from nice thick stamped steel, and the scales are strong dense plastic.

I am determined to use real straight because I like the idea of using and maintaining an antique shaving implement, but if I wasn't, I'm pretty sure I would buy a few Sanguines and have them rescaled in exotic materials.

The only 'criticism' that I have is that the model I have has no jimps, but that's a matter of taste really, and I believe the newer models have jimps anyway.

The only 'criticism' that I have is that the model I have has no jimps, but that's a matter of taste really, and I believe the newer models have jimps anyway.

Yes, mine is jimped on the underside of the "tang".

Best Regards

Graham

Last edited:
The whole reason that I got into straight razor shaving was a Feather AC. I bought one off the B/S/T, then decided I liked the experience, sold it and I am now a full blown straight razor shaver.

Yes, same here. I bought from the same seller, who I believe is the ebay ID of the Sanguine company. I got mine very fast, I think it was next day delivery, but I live in the UK.

It's not one of the pressed tin ones, it's made from nice thick stamped steel, and the scales are strong dense plastic.

I am determined to use real straight because I like the idea of using and maintaining an antique shaving implement, but if I wasn't, I'm pretty sure I would buy a few Sanguines and have them rescaled in exotic materials.

Ditto, I got a nice deal on one from the same place. Just received today (just after I shaved, of course) so tomorrow will be the day for a first attempt at a non-safety razor shave!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you are wanting to shave with a feather, you do just fine. A feather is not a straight razor. Comparing the feather with a straight is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit but they are different. The feather uses a disposable blade, the straight obviously is not a disposable. I have heard it said, "using a straight for a straight razor is like kissing your sister". Your sister might be worth kissing but mine sure is not. :eek:

Ditto.

The conversation seems to have drifted from the AC, but I think it's worth repeating ... if you want to use the Feather AC, go for it ... if you are thinking of it as a stepping-stone to real straights, quite frankly the real straights are easy enough to start with on their own.

Ditto.

The conversation seems to have drifted from the AC, but I think it's worth repeating ... if you want to use the Feather AC, go for it ... if you are thinking of it as a stepping-stone to real straights, quite frankly the real straights are easy enough to start with on their own.

Here's the deal. I'd love to use a straight. But I am up at 4:30 to go to work - NOT in a mood to strop. DE suits me well. If the Feather can do a straights job, and better than the Sanguine (or at least a bit easier and is a higher quality tool) then I will pony up for it.

Can the shave from the Feather be better than that from my slant? Can it equal a straight?

I haven't used a Sanguine, which is probably just fine. I do use a Feather AC/DX which is a quality instrument. I rotate between DE's, regular straights, and the Feather. They are all good, it just depends on my mood, and how much time I want to spend shaving. I suspect that it may be a good stepping stone to go with the Sanguine because of the price, and if you like the experience you can watch for a Feather AC/DX to show up used. I keep mentioning the DX because I really like it much more than the standard AC. I also like the variety of blades available for the Feather. Whereas the "Pro" and "Super Pro" blades require extreme caution and care, the "Pro Guard" blades are good for a nice relaxed shave.
Whatever you decide on, I hope you enjoy it.
Ken

Top Bottom