What's new

Favorite tried and true tri-tip recipes

I'm holding some gorgeous tri-tips and realize I have no tried and true recipe for that cut.

I suppose I'd prefer to grill them, but I'd love to hear about any recipe that has given YOU incredible results regardless of cooking method.

Thanks in advance.

I've only cooked tri-tip once and it was great. I started "grazing" on a slice at a time after carving it and actually had to skip dinner because I was too full. They always say junk food will ruin your appetite, but nobody ever warns you about excessive sampling of your dinner ruining dinner. Anyway, this is what I did:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

I know, I know, it calls for MSG. What do I know about healthy? I stir parabens into my coffee every morning.

I guess I should have added that I smoked it over red oak. If you're grilling over coals you could always add some wood to them to add a little flavor.

Thanks, Nate. I wasn't sure whether to treat it like a steak or a roast and what marinades might play well with it. Since I've got a few tri-tips I can play around with a few recipes. I wish my BGE was better for doing reverse searing. It's a pain to remove the Plate Setter that allows for indirect cooking in order to get direct exposure to the coals. Thanks for the recipe.

No problem. I'm surprised you didn't get more action on this. In California you should be able to find some red oak, but if you can't let me know and I can send you a couple of chunks. I'm getting ready to make another order, so I'll have some to spare. IMO what red oak does for beef is nothing short of magical.

For what it's worth, most of the recipes I've seen are fairly simple. Salt, pepper, and a couple of extras to make it your own.

I am new to this tasty cut of beef, and we like to grill it with coarse sea salt, pepper, and onion and garlic powders. Then we slice it thin and make sandwiches on fresh baked bread.

Marinate a few hours in red wine vinegar, garlic-chili infused olive oil, garlic powder and S&P. Cook by reverse sear. Indirect to 110 (add smoke if you like) before cranking up the grill. Sear to 135 for medium rare. Slice across the grain. Mmmm.

I have been contemplating a chimichurri cook for my next tri-tip.

I have my recipe that I want, but am hearing various instructions for temp and method. I have a kamado cooker. I was going to sear at 500 for about 1.5 minutes each side, then shut everything down and pull the meat until it gets down to about 350. Any better suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reverse sear is a great method for a trip tip. Cook indirect to 110. Pull off Kamado to a tented plate. Open the vents to crank up the heat. Anywhere over 500 place the roast in the Kamado to sear. Hit all sides but make sure to temp the meat. 135 for med. rare. Creates a nice sear while maintaining a nice pink center.

Reverse sear is a great method for a trip tip. Cook indirect to 110. Pull off Kamado to a tented plate. Open the vents to crank up the heat. Anywhere over 500 place the roast in the Kamado to sear. Hit all sides but make sure to temp the meat. 135 for med. rare. Creates a nice sear while maintaining a nice pink center.

+1

+2 for reverse sear. What rub/seasoning do you use?

Almond wood is plentiful around me, so I put chunks of it soaked in water on top of my coals for light smoking. Almond is a relative to the peach and works well IMHO.

I just wish Tri-Tip remained a little more of a secret. I remember when the price was a little closer to the price of hamburger. Still an excellent cut for grilling and BBQ.

Good Luck.

I mainly use two different recipes for Tri-Tip. First I remove the silver skin from them and the fat cap; leaving a little fat to keep it from getting dry. If I'm going to cook it for a long time I will lay the fat cap back on the meat while it is cooking.

My favorite method is to rub it with chopped garlic that is mixed with a little bit of olive oil. Season it with fresh ground black pepper and dry rub. I try to make my own, but use Pappy's if I don't have any made. Cook on indirect heat (approx 250-275) using charcoal with Almond wood for a little smoke. I move it into the heat towards the end of cooking.

Second method is to marinade for 2-4 hours in Soy Sauce with a little bit of non-vinegar hot sauce, black pepper and a splash of soda. I add a little bit of water to thin out the Soy. I usually reserve this method for grilling instead of indirect grilling.

+2 for reverse sear. What rub/seasoning do you use?

Almond wood is plentiful around me, so I put chunks of it soaked in water on top of my coals for light smoking. Almond is a relative to the peach and works well IMHO.

I just wish Tri-Tip remained a little more of a secret. I remember when the price was a little closer to the price of hamburger. Still an excellent cut for grilling and BBQ.

Good Luck.

my my butcher doesn't get many requests for this cut. I can't find much larger than 1.75 lbs at a time, and it is about 7.00/ pound. Wish I could find it cheaper.

Phenomenal cut of meat. I hit it with Montreal steak seasoning, sear it, and then cook over indirect with a lump of pecan until 140.

I grilled some pieces with nothing more than McCormick Grill Mates Steak rub on Saturday.
They were very tasty indeed, only bad thing was nothing left over.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tri-tip is a favorite cut of beef for Texas Red Chili. I also use it in my Carne Guisada. Check this out for a starter recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/carne-guisada-299727

I put mine in a ceramic dutch oven and instead of simmering over stove I put in it the oven at 300 until completely fall apart tender. Place in flour tortilla with your favorite hot sauce, cilantro and squeeze of lime juice.

Top Bottom