What's new

Favorite Lather Consistency and Feel

Technically speaking, we use lather because it is supposed to get under the hair shaft and hold it up so that the blade cuts it at a 90ish degree angle. This is supposed to help to avoid ingrown hairs because a blunt cut won’t allow the hair to penetrate back into the skin.

Of course the additional ingredients in soap will help soften, lube, etc.

That being said, I don’t worry so much about a stiff lather. Like others who have commented, if it’s slick and doesn’t drip off of my face it’s usable.

A useful tip I have continued using from Another Cut Above was whether I bowl or face lather, I will not make it too slick. I'll then apply the a layer of lather to to the face, add some water, paint again and repeat until it nearly becomes translucent and you can start to see your skin. Then splay the brush against the face to generate more. Always find this provides great slickness and protection.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A fairly quick load with a brush wet enough to be on the edge of dripping. Three to five seconds atop the puck. Swirl and paint it on, a little running over the clavicle is allowable on the first pass lather.

I don't enjoy the low structure lathers as much as i used to- the thick, yogurt-y, wet lathers. these are still very good for shaving. The problem is that these lathers don't feel as soft on the face because they are much too thick, too goopy. I like medium or higher structure lathers that feel velvety soft on my face and i can control the amount of water as-needed. Lots of lathers work very well for me and so how it feels on my face is an important feature.

Translucent doesn't work for me. Thin lather, even though it may have a higher water content, seems to dry on my face before I complete the entire pass.

I like it a bit thicker, and don't want to see my skin through the lather, certainly not on the first pass.

Translucent doesn't work for me. Thin lather, even though it may have a higher water content, seems to dry on my face before I complete the entire pass.

I like it a bit thicker, and don't want to see my skin through the lather, certainly not on the first pass.
I think it was soap expert @RayClem who once told me how thin a lather should be. And it was reaaaaal thin.

Lather consistency has been a decisive part in my final soap selection. I like a fluffy lather that doesn’t run. I whip this up to the point of droopy peaks and sheen in the surface.

Might depend on the soap used? What soaps are we talking here?

The thread title is "Favorite lather consistency and feel", not "What lather consistency is factually the best?" and as such, this is not really a debate for me, nor am I seeking help, or wishing to change my lather technique.

My favorite lather consistency may not be what any "lather expert" proclaims - it is what I like best. Translucent, real thin, I-can-see-my-skin-through-the-lather, is not my favorite consistency.

If it works for others, that is great, and I am genuinely happy for them, but only I am the true expert on (and have found) what works best for me.

The thread title is "Favorite lather consistency and feel", not "What lather consistency is factually the best?" and as such, this is not really a debate for me, nor am I seeking help, or wishing to change my lather technique.

My favorite lather consistency may not be what any "lather expert" proclaims - it is what I like best. Translucent, real thin, I-can-see-my-skin-through-the-lather, is not my favorite consistency.

If it works for others, that is great, and I am genuinely happy for them, but only I am the true expert on (and have found) what works best for me.
You are right off course.
Didn't mean to dispute your opinion 👍🏼

I'm good. Much love, brother shaver. 🙂

The one thing we know for certain is that anyone that has posted here has likely found what works best for them, even if it doesn't work for others.
Well spoken. I also hope that this thread has inspired some shavers to venture out of their comfort zone to see if there are any other lathers they would like. I definitely wouldn't have revisited bowl lathering if I didn't start this thread, and I wouldn't have tried out dryer lathers or thinner lathers as well. Bowl lathering was a home run. The other two didn't work, but variety is the spice of life and I feel I'm better off for having tried them out.

Again, this is a "whatever works" situation. 🙂

He may be an expert for himself, and "reaaaaal thin" may work for him, but not for me. It just dries out on my face.

Real thin does not mean runny. What I mean is that a high quality soap does not need a thick layer of lather to do its job. If you soap is drying out on your face, you might not be using a high quality soap. Of course, if you live in the Arizona desert, water evaporates quickly.

What soap are you using? Some do tend to dry on the face.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Once I get the lather whipped up, sufficient volume with a whipped cream like consistency, I'll add little bits of water until it also has a wet sheen to it. Once all those things are present, I know it's time to paint.

I don't enjoy the low structure lathers as much as i used to- the thick, yogurt-y, wet lathers. these are still very good for shaving. The problem is that these lathers don't feel as soft on the face because they are much too thick, too goopy. I like medium or higher structure lathers that feel velvety soft on my face and i can control the amount of water as-needed. Lots of lathers work very well for me and so how it feels on my face is an important feature.
I think this is the point, and what the thread was about. Not the functional performance of the soap, not the best way to make lather, but rather how different soaps feel. We don’t talk about that much.

Sure, making a properly hydrated, slick lather is important to get a good shave, but most shave soaps can do that just fine. Maybe for some the extra slickness of a certain soap is the most important thing, and that’s ok of course, but it isn’t everything. For me, shaving is much more than just functionally removing hair without damaging your skin - it is also about the tactile experience and getting pleasure and relaxation from the ritual. Certain shave soaps make a lather that feels really nice on my face and feels pleasant when I paint it with the brush. That feeling probably matters as much to me or maybe more than the slickness that the soap provides, or the post-shave skin conditioning.

I like a lather that feels creamy and soft on my face, not heavy feeling, not thick so that it causes resistance when I run my brush through it, but also not insubstantial or weak. The soaps I enjoy the feeling of most right now are probably Kaliflower (I think my favourite of all for feel) and Southern Witchcrafts. There may be others that are comparable but I just haven’t used very recently and I should check again (Martin de Candre? Chiseled Face? Via Barberia Omega? Fitjar Islands?).

Top Bottom