What's new

Favorite Lather Consistency and Feel

For me, grooming dept kairos se and mallard feel the best (and have other excellent traits). Another one that was excellent but challenging to dial in- B&M reserve base.

Real thin does not mean runny. What I mean is that a high quality soap does not need a thick layer of lather to do its job. If you soap is drying out on your face, you might not be using a high quality soap. Of course, if you live in the Arizona desert, water evaporates quickly.

What soap are you using? Some do tend to dry on the face.

Arko (puck)
Captain's Choice (jar/tub)
Cella (red tub)
Col Conk (puck)
Creamo (tube)
LA Shave Co (sample jars)
Martin de Candre (jar)
Proraso (green tube)
Proraso (red tub)
Razorock (tub)
Speick (stick)
Stirling (tub, sheep and beef)
Tabac (tube)
TOBS (cream/tub)
Trumpers (bowl)
William's (puck)

I would think there are at least a couple of "high quality" soaps/creams in there (or at least VERY capable) and certainly some that are wildly popular with our fellow members for their performance...

...but, once again:

Not really seeking help on lather consistency from any "experts". I have found what works best for me: thicker, peaky, cushiony lather that is hydrated enough to not dry on my face in the middle of a single pass.

So, to answer the question posed in the original post (well, in reverse): thin doesn't work for me, and is not my favorite lather consistency.

I've found my happy lather place, thank you. 🙂👍

Arko (puck)
Captain's Choice (jar/tub)
Cella (red tub)
Col Conk (puck)
Creamo (tube)
LA Shave Co (sample jars)
Martin de Candre (jar)
Proraso (green tube)
Proraso (red tub)
Razorock (tub)
Speick (stick)
Stirling (tub, sheep and beef)
Tabac (tube)
TOBS (cream/tub)
Trumpers (bowl)
William's (puck)

I would think there are at least a couple of "high quality" soaps/creams in there (or at least VERY capable) and certainly some that are wildly popular with our fellow members for their performance...

...but, once again:

Not really seeking help on lather consistency from any "experts". I have found what works best for me: thicker, peaky, cushiony lather that is hydrated enough to not dry on my face in the middle of a single pass.

So, to answer the question posed in the original post (well, in reverse): thin doesn't work for me, and is not my favorite lather consistency.

I've found my happy lather place, thank you. 🙂👍

I am glad you have found your happy lather place.

I have found that several of the soaps on your list do not perform well for me. Arko, Cremo, Proraso, Tumpers puck, and William's are all either unacceptable or poor performing by my criteria. I do use Cremo for convenience when I travel, but otherwise, no longer use the others.

I do like Captain's Choice, rating it as an excellent soap. I do use it as part of my rotation. However, there are many artisan soaps that will outperform it, but most of them are at a higher price point.

Dry lather for me please! Rinsing the razor adds water anyway so I think it strikes a good balance.

Incidentally, I was able to blade shave today for the first time in a couple of weeks due to a mysterious rash that suddenly appeared on my face! It seems to have calmed down so hoping it’s on its way to out. I used a dry lather, BIC blade and my Razorock German 37.

I am glad you have found your happy lather place.

I have found that several of the soaps on your list do not perform well for me. Arko, Cremo, Proraso, Tumpers puck, and William's are all either unacceptable or poor performing by my criteria. I do use Cremo for convenience when I travel, but otherwise, no longer use the others.

I do like Captain's Choice, rating it as an excellent soap. I do use it as part of my rotation. However, there are many artisan soaps that will outperform it, but most of them are at a higher price point.

Funny that you mention those specifically. Their fate:

Proraso green, tube: PIF
Proraso Red, tub: garbage can
Creamo: rarely used (once)
Arko: least favorite, occasional use
Trumpers: terrible. You can read my rant in the shaving soap sub-forum likely still on the first page. Lathered ok, terrible lubrication properties.

Thank you for responding, and to both you and @Jack Goossen, sorry if I came off a bit crotchety. I know that 99.9% of all the posts here are made with the best, most helpful, intentions. 🙂👍

Top Bottom