What's new

Favorite gin?

Lots of praise for Plymouth... But I've never seen it. Is it regional?
It may be regional in its availability but it is a London style gin that is made in Plymouth, UK. The distillery is very old. It is my second favorite gin, right behind Hendricks.

Reposting from another, older, thread....

Here is my Gin selection, placed in order from least expensive to most.

attachment.php

I did a taste test with them all, first on the rocks, then mixed with a little tonic.

They pretty much remained in the same order, with the most expensive being the best, with one exception...

attachment.php

New Amsterdam performs well above its price point. I knew it was good when I bought it, and it's very affordable, but it really surprised me just how good it was compared to the rest of the lineup.

*****Update******
I have to say that overall, I wasn't impressed with Bombay or Tanqueray. I have since used these bottles up, and will probably never buy them again. I also was not impressed with Beefeater.

I do have 4 or 5 new bottles that I have not cracked open yet. I will post pics of those soon.

Last edited:
Wow, gents. Tons of good suggestions here. I cant wait to try a few this weekend.

I also broke down and ordered John's Premium Tonic: johnstonic.weebly.com. So im putting that on my list to try as well. You need to add pure seltzer/soda water if you want the traditional G&T, but I will be trying numerous variations.

Ok here's my stash:

First up is a couple that I found that are made in Michigan, since that's where I am originally from. New Holland: Knickerbocker and Two Birds: Greyling.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457670789.671898.jpg

Then a few that are made in Missouri, since that's where I live now.
S.D. Strong: Pillar 136, J. Rieger, & Pinckney Bend.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457671010.970069.jpg

Then a couple others I found:

Citadel from France, and Aviation from Portland.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457671130.646895.jpg

The only one I have tried so far is Greyling, and it is my favorite gin to date. Anyone else tried any of these?

No, KJ, it's an English gin that is available in numerous states. I have seen it in FL, NY, NJ, AZ, CA, etc. The Naval Strength version, however, may no be available everywhere because of its high proof (114 proof).

Okay, so is this Monkey 47 really good?
I hope so! After striking out at 3 different places a store ordered me a bottle, should be here Monday.
I'm having a martini with tanqueray 10 right now, not loving it. Probably use the rest for G&T.

I havent seen Oxley mentioned much here. It gets rave reviews. Its a relatively new gin made from an entirely new process of cold/vacuum distillation. Supposedly the botanicals are never heated so the infused flavors of the herbs and the citrus are much more "real" and alive... All the reviews i read indicate you can tell the difference.

Ive found a local liquor store that carries both oxley and monkey 47, so ill be picking them up later today.

I've about knocked out a bottle of Beefeaters and will probably try a bottle of Brokers for my next gin. A friend of mine tried a local gin called Corsairs. I found it to be on the harsh side. Maybe the lemon juice and club soda of a Tom Collins will mask it.

Right you were eezee!! Plymouth Naval strength is now right alongside my Hendricks as favorites.

noting the gins that you have on your shelf, you are more than likely gong to like that bottle of Plymouth.

I'm hearing more and more about that Monkey 47. Sounds like it is some really good stuff and will have to investigate in the future.

My shelf as it stood last week:

$IMG_3063 (2).jpg

I sipped all (in various forms, starting with just over ice, then step by step adding bitters, lime, and eventually tonic) and Hendricks and Plymouth's (Naval strength) are the two I like and will repurchase.

For this weekend, I splurged on some gin purchases:

$IMG_3061 (2).jpg

I tried the Oxley Saturday and it's fantastic. The reviews are justified. Loved the aroma, taste, and smoothness. The scientist in me really likes the theory of cold/vacuum distillation with the botanicals and citrus. I have a feeling that most gin distillation and infusion may be headed this way in the future.

Today I tried the Monkey 47 and was prepared to not like it with the hype, the goofy marketing, the over-the-top back story, the notion that 47 additives are better than 10, its ridiculous high price, etc. However, I'll confess that this is not only the best gin I've tasted, but one of the finest sipping liquors ever. "Smooth" would be an understatement. Just put it over ice, let a little dilution bring out the aroma and breathe it and you have something truly fantastic. You have to think to realize it, but the Juniper is there somewhere; but the whole experience is fantastic. I actually had to force myself to add bitters, lime, and then tonic for additional tasting and it was all good. However, by the time I got to all the additions, you are left with primarily the experience of smoothness. Given the expense, I may have a hard time ever pouring this for G&T's, but it would service in all gin capacities -- I'll probably keep this one for gin-forward cocktails and sipping.

I haven't tried the St. George one that is barrel aged. I'm skeptical, but the gin expert at the liquor store said that this particular barrel-aged one was "more versatile" than some of the other barrel aged gins. He said some of the other barrel aged gins were o.k. for an exotic sip now and then, but if he sold me one of them, it would likely be still on my shelf in two years.

AJ

View attachment 644363

I sipped all (in various forms, starting with just over ice, then step by step adding bitters, lime, and eventually tonic) and Hendricks and Plymouth's (Naval strength) are the two I like and will repurchase.

View attachment 644366

I tried the Oxley Saturday and it's fantastic. The reviews are justified. Loved the aroma, taste, and smoothness. The scientist in me really likes the theory of cold/vacuum distillation with the botanicals and citrus. I have a feeling that most gin distillation and infusion may be headed this way in the future.

Today I tried the Monkey 47 and was prepared to not like it with the hype, the goofy marketing, the over-the-top back story, the notion that 47 additives are better than 10, its ridiculous high price, etc. However, I'll confess that this is not only the best gin I've tasted, but one of the finest sipping liquors ever. "Smooth" would be an understatement. Just put it over ice, let a little dilution bring out the aroma and breathe it and you have something truly fantastic. You have to think to realize it, but the Juniper is there somewhere; but the whole experience is fantastic. I actually had to force myself to add bitters, lime, and then tonic for additional tasting and it was all good. However, by the time I got to all the additions, you are left with primarily the experience of smoothness. Given the expense, I may have a hard time ever pouring this for G&T's, but it would service in all gin capacities -- I'll probably keep this one for gin-forward cocktails and sipping.

I haven't tried the St. George one that is barrel aged. I'm skeptical, but the gin expert at the liquor store said that this particular barrel-aged one was "more versatile" than some of the other barrel aged gins. He said some of the other barrel aged gins were o.k. for an exotic sip now and then, but if he sold me one of them, it would likely be still on my shelf in two years.

AJ
Thanks for the review of the Monkey 47.

View attachment 644363

View attachment 644366

AJ

Glad you liked the Monkey 47. The first time I saw that gin was in a bar when my wife and I were waiting for a table to open up. I spotted the bottle and asked the bartender what the Monkey 47 was like. He said I should not try it because once I did I would be hooked. I tried it and was shocked by its taste. I had it with one ice cube and the next day I went to the liquor store and bought a bottle. Now I drink it either neat or with one cube. I drink it before dinner and even after in place of a cognac or single malt.

I can absolutely see that. i could well see myself getting to like it quite often just over one ice cube.

Glad you liked the Monkey 47. The first time I saw that gin was in a bar when my wife and I were waiting for a table to open up. I spotted the bottle and asked the bartender what the Monkey 47 was like. He said I should not try it because once I did I would be hooked. I tried it and was shocked by its taste. I had it with one ice cube and the next day I went to the liquor store and bought a bottle. Now I drink it either neat or with one cube. I drink it before dinner and even after in place of a cognac or single malt.

Picked up my bottle of Monkey 47 today..this is the first time I've experienced sticker shock over a bottle of anything! This was really because I ordered it from a place in town and had no idea how small the bottle was. If there was a "kiddie size" for gin this would be it.
I got home, it's still pretty early so I decided just a 1/2 oz over an ice cube to get a taste. I can honestly say after tasting it I don't feel ripped off, this is really something different. It is overpriced in some sense of the word but I don't mind that I paid it! I'm actually really glad I didn't see the size of the bottle prior to ordering because I may have passed and that would've been regrettable.
For me, this one will probably be neat or over an ice cube, I will make a martini with it but the idea of changing the flavor at all or diluting it bugs me.
Pic for reference, size is in between a can of soda and a liter of Tanqueray (375 ml, roughly $50 where I shop)...try it anyway!
$Baby bottle...of gin.jpg

Otto76, my sentiments too before and after trying. I almost dont know what to make of it. I'll be drinking it neat over an ice cube for sure. Ill be trying some dry martinis with it. Ill be trying some modest additions (some johns tonic and/or a lime...) but i really cant see bowling it over with an average g&t. Maybe ill try a few drops of john's tonic and ice with maybe a tiny splash of soda.

Picked up my bottle of Monkey 47 today..this is the first time I've experienced sticker shock over a bottle of anything! This was really because I ordered it from a place in town and had no idea how small the bottle was. If there was a "kiddie size" for gin this would be it.
I got home, it's still pretty early so I decided just a 1/2 oz over an ice cube to get a taste. I can honestly say after tasting it I don't feel ripped off, this is really something different. It is overpriced in some sense of the word but I don't mind that I paid it! I'm actually really glad I didn't see the size of the bottle prior to ordering because I may have passed and that would've been regrettable.
For me, this one will probably be neat or over an ice cube, I will make a martini with it but the idea of changing the flavor at all or diluting it bugs me.
Pic for reference, size is in between a can of soda and a liter of Tanqueray (375 ml, roughly $50 where I shop)...try it anyway!
View attachment 644580

All this hype makes me want to try it, but eek! That's a small bottle!
my sentiments exactly!!

Otto76, my sentiments too before and after trying. I almost dont know what to make of it. I'll be drinking it neat over an ice cube for sure. Ill be trying some dry martinis with it. Ill be trying some modest additions (some johns tonic and/or a lime...) but i really cant see bowling it over with an average g&t. Maybe ill try a few drops of john's tonic and ice with maybe a tiny splash of soda.
So what's it like compared to Hendricks?

Top Bottom