What's new

Favorite gin?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My Sister in law gave me a bottle of Corsair Gin for Christmas. If you can find it it's worth a try for something different. The botanical almost play second to a hardy savory flavor. I wouldn't use it for a G&T or Gimlet, but for a Martini or on ice it's interesting.

My usual choice is Tanq, but lately I've been enjoying Dillon's Unfiltered 22. It's from a craft Distiller in the Ontario Niagara region.
It's perfect with Fevertree Tonic.

proxy.php

Junipero if you like intense Juniper. Or Ginebra San Miguel if you can find it...surprisingly tricky despite being the biggest selling gin in the world.

Martin Millers is a VERY good gin, not sure how easy it is to find on the other side of the pond, though.

Anyone try a Barrel Aged or Barrel Rested gin?'
Just picked this up as I couldn't resist.
$0308162156a_HDR2.jpg

It is only a local brand so I am sure it isn't the greatest, but very tasty indeed. Didn't know there were barrel aged gins. For the win!

Attachments

• $0308162156a_HDR.jpg
    $0308162156a_HDR.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 82
Having a Hendricks martini right now, first time trying this one. I think I like it.
When you had your Hendricks martini, what did you "Garnish" it with? A lot of people are using cucumber in a Hendricks G&T. I like a lemon twist rather than the lime. Just curious.

When you had your Hendricks martini, what did you "Garnish" it with? A lot of people are using cucumber in a Hendricks G&T. I like a lemon twist rather than the lime. Just curious.
For me it was just a couple of large green olives, wife likes them with 1/2 oz of olive brine shaken in. I haven't made a G&T with it but I can imagine cucumber working nicely.
I had a G&T last night (different gin) and went with ice and lime squeezed in. I have tried the "English" way with lemon and chilled but no ice in the glass and it was good for sure.

Gin is just a near-neutral vodka with juniper and other botanicals (herbs) infused. So the key is you can add your own flavors to any reasonably high quality gin. And if you don't like juniper so much, then substitute a white vodka and add flavors to your heart's content.

That said, My shelf has Tanq Ten, Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks. Recently I've tried the Beefeaters 24 and that's fine too. I have a bottle of Plymouth but haven't cracked it yet.

FYI, in a G&T, the tonic makes more difference. I generally go with Fever Tree for multiple reasons (locally available, lower sugar, bottle size works, and like the flavor). In addition to fresh lime, I often add a slice of cucumber and/or mint sprigs (which grow like a weed in our garden) on a hot summer day (about five months out of the year here in Texas).

FYI, in a martini, I think YMMV is the key. my tastes and whether it's a lemon twist, olives, etc. varies year to year.

The posts above got me thinking about Monkey 47! Will keep an eye for it next time I'm at Total Wines & spirits.

Cheers,

AJ

A number of years ago, I was so disappointed with the extreme corn syrup and/or artificial sweetners and perservatives in store brands of tonic, that I actually bought a pound of powdered quinine to add to sparkling water and make tonic. I discovered that only a light dusting of powder on a spoon or finger is enough for one G&T -- and I mean a handful of grains! So I have enough to last me several lifetimes and probably consume way too much if I'm not careful.

Gin is just a near-neutral vodka with juniper and other botanicals (herbs) infused. So the key is you can add your own flavors to any reasonably high quality gin. And if you don't like juniper so much, then substitute a white vodka and add flavors to your heart's content.

That said, My shelf has Tanq Ten, Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks. Recently I've tried the Beefeaters 24 and that's fine too. I have a bottle of Plymouth but haven't cracked it yet.

FYI, in a G&T, the tonic makes more difference. I generally go with Fever Tree for multiple reasons (locally available, lower sugar, bottle size works, and like the flavor). In addition to fresh lime, I often add a slice of cucumber and/or mint sprigs (which grow like a weed in our garden) on a hot summer day (about five months out of the year here in Texas).

FYI, in a martini, I think YMMV is the key. my tastes and whether it's a lemon twist, olives, etc. varies year to year.

The posts above got me thinking about Monkey 47! Will keep an eye for it next time I'm at Total Wines & spirits.

Cheers,

AJ

Cheers,

AJ
noting the gins that you have on your shelf, you are more than likely gong to like that bottle of Plymouth.

I'm hearing more and more about that Monkey 47. Sounds like it is some really good stuff and will have to investigate in the future.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A number of years ago, I was so disappointed with the extreme corn syrup and/or artificial sweetners and perservatives in store brands of tonic, that I actually bought a pound of powdered quinine to add to sparkling water and make tonic. I discovered that only a light dusting of powder on a spoon or finger is enough for one G&T -- and I mean a handful of grains! So I have enough to last me several lifetimes and probably consume way too much if I'm not careful.
I've actually ditched the tonic, choosing to drink gin with soda. I still get the gin, and it's still refreshing, but I don't get the bitterness or other crud that's in the tonic. It's not like I'm concerned with malaria.

Now, a rum and tonic is another story.

And, I garnish my martini with a jalapeno stuffed olive. That gives some folks the screaming willies, but then I don't have to worry about those folks drinking my martini.

Last night it was 2 1/2 ounces of Monkey 47 with two small ice cubes before dinner. Absolute pleasure. :001_smile

Top Bottom